Reload this Page >

An Old Guy Going Home - Advice Please

An Old Guy Going Home - Advice Please

Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

catch22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: An Old Guy Going Home - Advice Please

Originally Posted by Bevm
Also, the Rover's Return is a bit more appropriate for the life in Thailand chat, I think.

I admire people who leave the cushy life to work for little pay in rough parts of the world. I'm sure you got a lot out of it, so I wouldn't call it sacrifice, but it's very worthwhile.

Bev
I will look at the Rovers Return if I decide to talk about life in South East Asia.
I did have an OK life in the UK, but there were aspects that I found unrewarding at the time and the need for something else, hence my stay in SEA. I did get a lot out of it, probably more than I gave in many ways and you're quite right it wasn't really a sacrifice. I just should have thought more before burning bridges - a lesson learned! thanks
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sans
Ok.....i forgive you Just dont ever ignore me again OK ......But your wish to have a thread answering your question only....Will not ever happen, not on BE anyway
Best to just anjoy and chew the fat
I promise guv
I am beginning to see that most of the responses are good, well meaning and light hearted, so will start to blend in as much as I can. It's a bit unrealistic to ask people just to respond to the same thing over and over again I guess.

OK I start anew, same original question, but feel free to jump in with other stuff - I am really happy to be here folks and will give more of myself when I can.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
mmm more on that another day because I just realized we are on a thread where somebody needs advice (a serious thread) Pardon the intrusion Catch-22.
No problem Jules - I'm born again this morning.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its unusual as far as BE goes. The suggestion of the Far East forum was merely because you were saying that you didn't want to post your story on this thread and take it off topic. As you are new to BE it was quite possible that you were unaware of the existence of the other forum.

The only reason for my posting on here at all was because the thread had been reported.
Thanks for the explanation Pollyanna
It’s the noble heart that makes you strong
And in that part I’m with you all along

All's well that ends well.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cricket1
I think any cloak and dagger posts make people both nosy and suspicious, It makes it look like something is being hidden and therefore not genuine. I'm not suggesting you're not sincere, just that when someone pours their whole life story out, they tend to get a barrage of immediate support and people wanting to offer help. I have seen this many times on this forum. There are some very kind and caring people here.
Of course, you may not feel comfortable doing this and this should be respected but maybe as you post a bit more about yourself, you'll find more people willing to step in and offer advice.

Personally, I don't mind if threads meander and go off topic, I think it makes them more interesting. Bit like going on a mystery tour.
As long as you don't put your real identity out there, you're safe to make friends and open up a bit more. Then you get more back. Just my own experience talking here.
Whatever you do, don't ignore the women who answer your posts or you will be up the creek without a paddle.
I get your drift cricket and I didn't mean to make the post seem like cloak and dagger....but I'm learning....I think Certainly wouldn't want to be up the creek without a paddle.....unless of course it is with one of those women
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:40 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catch22
I get your drift cricket and I didn't mean to make the post seem like cloak and dagger....but I'm learning....I think Certainly wouldn't want to be up the creek without a paddle.....unless of course it is with one of those women
Hey be careful what you wish for! You might get Sans or Flea on a bad hair day. Or Joules. We're still not sure about him.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:43 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catch22
Yes, I would very much like to be in Cambridgeshire, sort of Huntingdon way. What exactly is 'sheltered housing' in today's terms. I recall when I lived in UK the term covered many areas and many different people - or am I getting confused with something else?

Thanks for stopping by - much appreciated.
Sheltered housing is for people over 55. My sister is a warden for one of these complexes.
Many people think they are like nursing homes, but they are far from it. Usually it is either a block of flats or a whole kind of housing estate run by housing associations, and the basic rule is that you must be over 55 or disabled in some way to be eligible to live there. Everyone lives a completely independant life just as they would anywhere else. The great thing is that they usually have a person who lives there and is employed to be a warden to check on people who are ill or have special needs, and also make sure that the day to day running of the place is kept up to standard regarding maintenence etc.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:45 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Hey be careful what you wish for! You might get Sans or Flea on a bad hair day. Or Joules. We're still not sure about him.
I dont know what you mean... i'm all sweetness and light...

at the moment
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:53 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Flea, You're a treasure, I know. So is Sans. You both give your best and try to help people as much as possible. And you're fun. Jeez, I've got some miserable plonkers around me at the moment. Wish I hadn't said I was going home. It's like I've been sent to another planet for committing the crime of being happy.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:33 am
I don't give a damn

Flea, You're a treasure, I know. So is Sans. You both give your best and try to help people as much as possible. And you're fun. Jeez, I've got some miserable plonkers around me at the moment. Wish I hadn't said I was going home. It's like I've been sent to another planet for committing the crime of being happy.
Why thanks I've not really been much fun of late. I guess i deserve to be ignored sometimes, but i use this place to offload. When you are stuck at home most of the time and everyone else is out in the world working and having a life, I run short of company, so use this medium to get it all off my chest.

I do like to help people wherever i can, but alas, many people on here have a very childish attitude. As soon as you say something they dont like, all of a sudden your offers of help or opinions are blacklisted. Its like a schoolyard mentality. But bugger them i say...
I wont stop doing it

Thankfully I dont have miserable plonkers around me. Although one of my Aussie friends is driving me nuts, treating me like some sort of mentally defunked invalid. Bringing me apple pies, lecturing me on the need to keep mentally stimulated and talking to me like i am 5yrs old... bless her. I know she means well and i do appreciate her concerns, but sometimes i just want to yell out SHUUUUUT UPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!! PMSL

Gawwd... i'm rambling now... back in my box
Old Feb 24th 2009, 1:38 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Why thanks I've not really been much fun of late. I guess i deserve to be ignored sometimes, but i use this place to offload. When you are stuck at home most of the time and everyone else is out in the world working and having a life, I run short of company, so use this medium to get it all off my chest.

I do like to help people wherever i can, but alas, many people on here have a very childish attitude. As soon as you say something they dont like, all of a sudden your offers of help or opinions are blacklisted. Its like a schoolyard mentality. But bugger them i say...
I wont stop doing it

Thankfully I dont have miserable plonkers around me. Although one of my Aussie friends is driving me nuts, treating me like some sort of mentally defunked invalid. Bringing me apple pies, lecturing me on the need to keep mentally stimulated and talking to me like i am 5yrs old... bless her. I know she means well and i do appreciate her concerns, but sometimes i just want to yell out SHUUUUUT UPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!! PMSL

Gawwd... i'm rambling now... back in my box
Flea, forget the apple pies, get her to bring you both gin and tonic. She'll fall asleep and you'll get some peace.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Heljinder
Please accept my apologies for my remark. Some thoughts popped into my mind about your guardedness, which is why I made that silly comment. You have every right to keep your life private, and no one has the right, including myself to intrude. Sorry.
Hejinder - it's history now - no damage done.
I guess my working in a guarded situation for so many years and being very careful what I say and to whom has left its mark (could I be paranoid?) and it will take time to get back to normal.
I'm gaining some insights here as well as good advice.
Looking forward to chatting with you more.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Sheltered housing is for people over 55. My sister is a warden for one of these complexes.
Many people think they are like nursing homes, but they are far from it. Usually it is either a block of flats or a whole kind of housing estate run by housing associations, and the basic rule is that you must be over 55 or disabled in some way to be eligible to live there. Everyone lives a completely independant life just as they would anywhere else. The great thing is that they usually have a person who lives there and is employed to be a warden to check on people who are ill or have special needs, and also make sure that the day to day running of the place is kept up to standard regarding maintenence etc.
OK I know the type of housing you are referring to, but I thought they were reserved for people with special needs or disabilities. Is the only criteria that you are over 55 or disabled or both do you know? What/who would be the first point of contact to check this out?

Hmmm which area is your sister in?
Old Feb 24th 2009, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

And you'll be happier after The Ashes series in UK starting July.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 3:12 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: An Old Guy Going Home - Advice Please

I'm intrigued by something.

In post no. 22 on this thread, someone quoted a post from the "old guy" Catch 22 (which was subsequently deleted so I can't quote it here).

The final sentence says "I am married to a Karen"

(Karens are one of the ethnic groups along the Burmese/Thai border. I believe that some of the Karens wear many bands around their necks to make them longer?)

Is the O/P planning to take his Karen wife back to the UK with him?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.