Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

An Old Guy Going Home - Advice Please

An Old Guy Going Home - Advice Please

Old Feb 22nd 2009, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

catch22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default An Old Guy Going Home - Advice Please

I am 63 years of age and have lived and worked in South East Asia mostly at subsistence level, with Burmese refugees for the last 7 years.

I have some savings - about 5,000 pounds. During the last two years I have had some serious health problems and now feel too vulnerable to continue my life here. Therefore, I am returning to England and initially will stay with my daughter and son-in-law until I can find something. I have (own) nothing in England, though I'm still registered at my Doctor's and have an up to date UK driving licence.
Can anyone PLEASE give advice to me regarding the most convenient way to link back into the system, including benefits and health cover?

Thank you very much.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:34 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An Old Guy Going Home - Advice Please

Originally Posted by catch22
I am 63 years of age and have lived and worked in South East Asia mostly at subsistence level, with Burmese refugees for the last 7 years.

I have some savings - about 5,000 pounds. During the last two years I have had some serious health problems and now feel too vulnerable to continue my life here. Therefore, I am returning to England and initially will stay with my daughter and son-in-law until I can find something. I have (own) nothing in England, though I'm still registered at my Doctor's and have an up to date UK driving licence.
Can anyone PLEASE give advice to me regarding the most convenient way to link back into the system, including benefits and health cover?

Thank you very much.

Welcome to BE!

I'm sorry, I don't have much experience with the benefits, etc., side of things, but I know stacks of people on here do and I'm sure you'll get some good advice soon.

Re: health care, the fact you are still registered with the NHS docotor should make things easier. Regardless, you will essentially be eligible for NHS care the second you become a resident.

Are you hoping to get access to council housing at some point? I'm not sure how this will be affected by living with relatives initially - whether this would be looked at as you having accommodation and so being less in urgent need ... but again, I think there are people here who have experienced this.

I can understand why you are coming back. At least the UK takes care of people with limited resources, and based on what you've been doing the past 7 years I'd say you deserve a little support.

One last thing - you say you have 5k in cash. Again, I'm not sure how savings figure into eligibility for certain types of support. If the money is in an offshore bank, it might be best leaving it there for now (as long as it's protected against bank failure ...) and not declaring it unless necessary.

Good luck with everything!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Thank you very much for the initial, sound advice.
I sometimes feel angry knowing that I'm half way around the world helping people for a pittance. I have about 30 years of NI contributions, but it all seems to count for nothing.
I do hope the advice will be forthcoming - I need it!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:56 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I do hope the advice will be forthcoming - I need it!
You will get a pension at 65.

many countries would not even give you that
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grayling
You will get a pension at 65.

many countries would not even give you that
Yes I know - but the countries that don't give you a pension also don't make you pay hefty NI contributions and income tax at 40%.

I am not being critical of England, but I just think if someone has spent most of their life there being productive, there shouldn't be the need to go through so much hassle if you leave there for a while and go back.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 12:15 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I know - but the countries that don't give you a pension also don't make you pay hefty NI contributions and income tax at 40%.

I am not being critical of England, but I just think if someone has spent most of their life there being productive, there shouldn't be the need to go through so much hassle if you leave there for a while and go back.
If you paid income tax at 40% then perhaps you should have thought of your old age....why weren't you in a pension scheme?

How do you know what you are entitled to or not.....you haven't gone back yet?...how do you know it will be hassle?

I am not much younger than you but have a personal pension that I paid into since I was 19 years old.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 2:39 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I think the best way to look at it is that when you move back, you will have:

A guaranteed index-linked state pension from age 65
Free health care
Free bus transport at age 60
Reduced council tax and many other benefits and reductions at age 65
An increased tax allowance at age 65 (should you choose to work part-time, for example)
Subsidised housing (potentially)

- etc., etc. (see http://www.ageconcern.org.uk/AgeConc...FZiT3wodhUaH0g)

- much of this is funded/subsidized by tax-payers.

So what goes around comes around (i.e., you will "get back" for all those years of NI and tax payments)

Life's too short to be angry, especially about something that (I presume) you chose to do, and that has benefitted a lot of other people.

I also think you may be blowing up the "hassle" you'll face when you get back - I think things will be a lot easier than if, say, you were returning to the US.

[Later edit: There's even a leaflet for people over 60 who are returning to the UK - see http://www.ageconcern.org.uk/AgeConc...ments/IS2.pdf]

[Later, later edit: Also an online calculator to see what benefits you might be eligible for: http://www.ageconcern.org.uk/AgeConc...ts-checker.asp - you'll obviously have to "fake" some of the information for now, buut it will at least give you some ideas]

I really think the UK won't be as bad as you think. You won't be living the lifestyles of the rich and famous, but you won't be destitute either. We take care of our old 'uns and people with low/no income a lot better than many countries.

Last edited by dunroving; Feb 22nd 2009 at 3:04 pm. Reason: Found more information
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:34 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/penret/

Hi check this site out....Its being plastered all over the tv for the last few days.....There is a link to ask direct questions.....
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

If you paid income tax at 40% then perhaps you should have thought of your old age....why weren't you in a pension scheme?

How do you know what you are entitled to or not.....you haven't gone back yet?...how do you know it will be hassle?

I am not much younger than you but have a personal pension that I paid into since I was 19 years old.
Thanks for your response, I'd like to keep on topic if possible.
I didn't start this thread to discuss the merits of my (or yours) lifestyle. You have no idea of my personal life and everyone's circumstances during their lifetime is different.

If you have a great lifestyle, then well done and good luck.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:09 am
Bitter and twisted

Thanks for your response, I'd like to keep on topic if possible.
I didn't start this thread to discuss the merits of my (or yours) lifestyle. You have no idea of my personal life and everyone's circumstances during their lifetime is different.

If you have a great lifestyle, then well done and good luck.
I haven't mentioned anything about lifestyle

If you paid tax at 40% you must have had good earnings.

Why should you expect to return to the UK and claim benefits?

as has already been mentioned...you seem to be complaining before you have even gone back and tried.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think the best way to look at it is that when you move back, you will have:

A guaranteed index-linked state pension from age 65
Free health care
Free bus transport at age 60
Reduced council tax and many other benefits and reductions at age 65
An increased tax allowance at age 65 (should you choose to work part-time, for example)
Subsidised housing (potentially)

- etc., etc. (see http://www.ageconcern.org.uk/AgeConc...FZiT3wodhUaH0g)

- much of this is funded/subsidized by tax-payers.

So what goes around comes around (i.e., you will "get back" for all those years of NI and tax payments)

Life's too short to be angry, especially about something that (I presume) you chose to do, and that has benefitted a lot of other people.

I also think you may be blowing up the "hassle" you'll face when you get back - I think things will be a lot easier than if, say, you were returning to the US.

[Later edit: There's even a leaflet for people over 60 who are returning to the UK - see http://www.ageconcern.org.uk/AgeConc...ments/IS2.pdf]

[Later, later edit: Also an online calculator to see what benefits you might be eligible for: http://www.ageconcern.org.uk/AgeConc...ts-checker.asp - you'll obviously have to "fake" some of the information for now, buut it will at least give you some ideas]

I really think the UK won't be as bad as you think. You won't be living the lifestyles of the rich and famous, but you won't be destitute either. We take care of our old 'uns and people with low/no income a lot better than many countries.
Thanks very much for the positive response.

Angry was a word I shouldn’t have used, it was a knee jerk response to a previous comment, which I should have known better and ignored rather than give someone the opportunity to massage their ego.

Anyway, you’re absolutely right it’s quite possible that I may be blowing up the ‘hassle’ that I will face when I return – I certainly hope so. You are also quite right that is something I chose to do (and love) for very little, often no financial reward. I guess spending so many years away from the main stream of things has left me feeling rather short of knowledge and now somewhat vulnerable as health problems appear.

When I left England the thought of ever having to pass things like HRT etc, or not be able to receive NHS treatment when/if I returned never entered my head. It’s very easy for others to say ‘why didn’t you think of this or that’, but that’s not the issue – life takes many twists and turns. You, thankfully have started giving me the answers to the questions I raised, which I am most grateful for.

As you might gather, I’m certainly not into the lifestyle of the rich and famous and I do know that British people take much better care of the elderly than most. Your feedback and the things you have listed help me a lot and thanks for the links.

Last edited by catch22; Feb 23rd 2009 at 1:30 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

I haven't mentioned anything about lifestyle

If you paid tax at 40% you must have had good earnings.

Why should you expect to return to the UK and claim benefits?

as has already been mentioned...you seem to be complaining before you have even gone back and tried.
Thanks for your input.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:16 am
Bitter and twisted

Thanks for your input.
Glad it has been helpful
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold

Wherever you live, your local council will normally have a Welfare Rights Advisor, who you can speak to on the telephone, or will make a home visit. They know the system inside out and will tell you exactly what you're entitled to, as well as representing you if you encounter any problems with accessing benefits.

You shouldn't have any problems though. Britain's health and welfare system is the best in the world, and we're very lucky to have it.

Good luck.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:22 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Reading between the lines, and I am just picking up on vibes in your post, it sounds like you've been through quite a lot, had a few disappointments and perhaps may have retained both some anger and a negative expectation of what may happen in your life and future.

Whatever you've done in your past, whether you've paid 40% taxes, hefty NI contributions, etc, it doesn't relate to now. It sounds like you have an axe to grind with someone, again i'm just guessing, but you know what? Let it go.
Go home and just try and stay open minded to receiving whatever help you need. You will be entitled to medical help for sure and I'm sure you'd receive some kind of financial help, although I don't know anything about the benefit system.
You are lucky if you have a relative, a bed and some support to return to. That's a very good start.

What made you angry if you don't mind me asking?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.