Be nice to OZ

Old Dec 22nd 2006, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Be nice to OZ

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
synonymous with one of the greatest social problems australia faces: a general lack of community spirit/belonging that stems from a lack of inclusivity of others. On the surface oz claims to welcome and include all new comers to their country, but in reality this does not pan out that way at all.
I think this happens a lot now just about everywhere. I moved from the UK to Australia because I couldn't afford to live in one of those nice communities people long for on this site and found it here.

I'll think of you and the lack of community spirit you're experiencing when we (the village) all meet on Sunday night to sing in Christmas and hope 2007 will get you what you're looking for. .....

Have a good one.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 9:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Don't do that Polly. Don't be beaten. You've gone through too much and deserve better

It's not unusual to go through hell to find a job you deserve here in Aus. Like you said before, previous UK skills and experience stands for nothing. Your time has got to come ......so maybe 2007 will be it
Fingers crossed, but I'm not putting any bets on. However I'm still here, Christmas number 4.......
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
Living in perth is like living on an island within an island ,and unless one is totally moronic there is no doubt one will go crazy ,just like monkies in a cage .
Have to agree. I've heard its like that.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 9:16 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Have to agree. I've heard its like that.
It's true alright, it feels like there is no escape, Alcatraz but sunny
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 9:20 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'll think of you and the lack of community spirit you're experiencing when we (the village) all meet on Sunday night to sing in Christmas and hope 2007 will get you what you're looking for. .....

Have a good one.
Community spirit isn't dead on Brisbane......Rossi has just said he'll try and meet up with me for a pint over Christmas
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 9:21 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Fingers crossed, but I'm not putting any bets on. However I'm still here, Christmas number 4.......
Well, it took me 29 months but I finally got a Directors position with a global company .....so it can be done Polly.

Have you thought about leaving government work and working for the private sector? Government jobs are well known for being *jobs for the boys* and low pay. You would probably do much better in the private sector
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And even though I'm a Kiwi (and proud of it), I can demonstrate how grown up we can be, and declare that not only do I have a sense of humour, but also think Arkon is a pretty ok guy

Now would an Aussie/Aussie lover be as well balanced and mature as I am if that was posted about Australia ?
I think I can disprove this one instantly. Although I rarely personally 'attack' Arkon -and anyway - remember people - this is all light-hearted humour - I have to agree. I am an Australia lover, and I happen to agree that the areas you people live in are as crap as you say they are.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 9:30 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Well, it took me 29 months but I finally got a Directors position with a global company .....so it can be done Polly.

Have you thought about leaving government work and working for the private sector? Government jobs are well known for being *jobs for the boys* and low pay. You would probably do much better in the private sector
Maybe, all I want though is a basic admin position in the area I love - emergency management. You've done really well, and I'm pleased for you. I have no aspirations to high positions, I just want a permanent job that I love. Have decided that the new year is make or break though, so I will have to sacrifice job satisfaction for job security and am therefore going to turn to private enterprise and just accept it. After all I'm sure there are many people out there doing jobs they don't like.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 9:34 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Community spirit isn't dead on Brisbane......Rossi has just said he'll try and meet up with me for a pint over Christmas
I like to do my bit for the aged community.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 9:41 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by rossifumi
I like to do my bit for the aged community.
Cheeky mare, bet I out-drink you
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 9:44 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

I think this happens a lot now just about everywhere. I moved from the UK to Australia because I couldn't afford to live in one of those nice communities people long for on this site and found it here.

Have a good one.
Cheers Badge, very nice of you. Best wishes for 2007 to you as well
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 9:46 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

I think I can disprove this one instantly. Although I rarely personally 'attack' Arkon -and anyway - remember people - this is all light-hearted humour - I have to agree. I am an Australia lover, and I happen to agree that the areas you people live in are as crap as you say they are.
Your confirmation is welcomed and appreciated
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 9:47 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe, all I want though is a basic admin position in the area I love - emergency management. You've done really well, and I'm pleased for you. I have no aspirations to high positions, I just want a permanent job that I love. Have decided that the new year is make or break though, so I will have to sacrifice job satisfaction for job security and am therefore going to turn to private enterprise and just accept it. After all I'm sure there are many people out there doing jobs they don't like.
Why not compromise Polly and go for private enterprise in terms of work, and do the emergency part voluntarily? That way you get to do what you enjoy and also get a job with the pay you deserve

Thanks for the compliment re my job ....actually Polly I was a Senior Exec in UK, also for a global company...so I've just got back to where I was. Believe me, I found myself working in some pitiful jobs over here to get myself established again.

I've worked some *silly O'clock hours* in really difficult roles over here in order to get an industry reputation. I have cried tears of frustration at times

You must keep going. You need a strategy to work towards. Do so with ferocious appetite cos whether we like it or not, we have to be better than anyone else.

Good luck Polly....2007 maybe ...just maybe your year
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 10:12 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

It hasn't felt like xmas for me for along time. I think a lot of that is to do with what we associate xmas to be with: family and friends, climate, familiar surroundings etc But aside from all of that, I see some traditional signs of xmas here but don't feel the 'xmas spirit' if you know what I mean.

I think this is just synonymous with one of the greatest social problems australia faces: a general lack of community spirit/belonging that stems from a lack of inclusivity of others. On the surface oz claims to welcome and include all new comers to their country, but in reality this does not pan out that way at all.

I spoke to a UK guy of Indian descent recently who has lived in oz for a decade and works in a govt department. He put his finger on it when he said to me " Back in London (where he was from) if we came across each other we'd prob say hi to each other and end up having a chat over a cuppa or a pint but here we'd at most likely just give a polite smile or hello as we passed on by "

People badmouth the UK, but by and large those who live there have learned how to get on with others and understand the value in friendship building on a real level. It's part of the British spirit/psyche, a part I hope never gets lost.
good post. Hope you have a very happy Christmas.
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 10:12 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Cheeky mare, bet I out-drink you
You talk a good out-drinking!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.