Nearly Home

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nearly Home

OakvilleSarah....Goodluck with the baby. Your future is bright you and your husband are on the same page and that makes all the difference. I hope your house sells quickly. You might want to put it up for sale as soon as you can. But all of you on this thread who are young and who have decided to go home are lucky I know you dont think you are but you really are you have years ahead of you and your children are young enough to look upon the trip to another country as that, just a moment in time. But if you look at the Over 50's forum you can see the problems that ex-pats get into when they wait too long before deciding to go home or their OH doesnt want to go.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:49 pm
Account Closed

OakvilleSarah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ble
Gosh - that is so like my tale - its untrue.
Just a different country (New Zealand) - lol

Have to have the baby here (Feb) and after that it will be time to try to make plans to go home.

We have finished building the new house, and yip, I love the house plan of it (I designed it) its only a house at the end of the day.
And now its an Earthquake damaged one.
Only minor (cosmetic cracks etc) damage (not like loads in Christchurch and Canterbury that are going to be pulled down) I have no idea when we will be paid our insurance - to get it fixed.

They are saying within 2 years.

Arhhhhhh - oh well - these things are sent to try us.
I hope everyone was Ok after the earthquake and that your house gets sorted. I'm just trying to focus on the baby, that will occupy us for a while but I would like to be home before the start of the next school year for the boys, we will put them in private school if we have to.......I have no idea where they will be academicaly although they are both bright, we have been away a long time. Deep down I always knew I wouldn't stay forever, it was just a case of giving it a go and making the decision that we have had enough.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

OakvilleSarah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trottytrue
OakvilleSarah....Goodluck with the baby. Your future is bright you and your husband are on the same page and that makes all the difference. I hope your house sells quickly. You might want to put it up for sale as soon as you can. But all of you on this thread who are young and who have decided to go home are lucky I know you dont think you are but you really are you have years ahead of you and your children are young enough to look upon the trip to another country as that, just a moment in time. But if you look at the Over 50's forum you can see the problems that ex-pats get into when they wait too long before deciding to go home or their OH doesnt want to go.
Thanks, the baby will keep us here for a while and we move into the new house in two weeks. I see us home by next September, it feels like a huge move much more so than coming to Canada, but like you say my husband and I are both 35 so we can put our time in Canada down to adventure, at least we tried. There are lots of Brits around here that are convinced that the UK has 'gone to the dogs' when Oakville is so not reprasentitive of Canada, they need to venture outside the bubble to see that nowhere is perfect, Canada included.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 12:57 am
Account Closed

Couture is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OakvilleSarah
Thanks, the baby will keep us here for a while and we move into the new house in two weeks. I see us home by next September, it feels like a huge move much more so than coming to Canada, but like you say my husband and I are both 35 so we can put our time in Canada down to adventure, at least we tried. There are lots of Brits around here that are convinced that the UK has 'gone to the dogs' when Oakville is so not reprasentitive of Canada, they need to venture outside the bubble to see that nowhere is perfect, Canada included.
I have always stood by my realisation that when someone says a place has gone to the dogs, it is merely a reflection of the dissatisfaction that person had with the life they led.

Everywhere has its good and bad sides...its down to you to make life as you want it. Like a great many people who have posted here it seems to be down to the cloth you're cut from - you either feel you can make the life you want in the UK, or you dont. People who write off the UK (or any country for that matter) really frustrate me.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Steveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the roughSteveclare is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Couture
I have always stood by my realisation that when someone says a place has gone to the dogs, it is merely a reflection of the dissatisfaction that person had with the life they led.

Everywhere has its good and bad sides...its down to you to make life as you want it. Like a great many people who have posted here it seems to be down to the cloth you're cut from - you either feel you can make the life you want in the UK, or you dont. People who write off the UK (or any country for that matter) really frustrate me.
Completely agree with you on this, I detest it when people say the UK has gone to the dogs!!! I have enjoyed our time in oz but home is home and life is what you make it, you make the decisions on how you what to live.

Good luck to anyone thinking about returning we fly out to the UK on the
18th November and can't wait. xxx
Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by OakvilleSarah

Good luck with your baby and the move - your gonna have a busy time, but you have a lot to look forward to with planning the move back! We hope to be back by next Sept and have the kids back in their old school. We will have been here 2.5 yrs by then. Oakville is not perfect, it has its pluses (good facilities etc), but it is a very insular place and not for me

good luck, would have been nice to get to know you better, but good luck all the same with your house.