Nearly Home

Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

postman62 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nearly Home

We have only been in Canada for 15 months and most of our stuff remained packed, we just unpacked the essentials because I knew from day one that I wouldn't be stopping, however we didn't get a discount from the shipping company we used to send it back. I knew I had made a big mistake coming here as soon as I'd landed at Vancouver airport and when my furniture arrived I also wanted to tell them to turn around and send it back to England. People back home kept telling me to stick it out and that there was nothing in the UK for us if we moved home, but after seeing how desperate and depressed I was to go home my dad changed him mind and told me to get back as soon as possible and even paid for the shipping of our furniture, he knew that I was on the way to having a breakdown. As soon as I started organising things to get us home I fet like a great weight had been lifted from my shoulders. People who have never lived outside of the UK will never understand what homesickness is and how much it affects you because I would have been one of those people saying stick it out. I've only got 2 days left here now and then I'll be home and I feel so excited.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills View Post
I don't know theres an awful lot of Yorkshire folk who are moving or have moved/thinking of moving back.
My theory is if you had a close knit family and great friends and lived in a nice area you want to go back more than someone who lived in a less desirable area or had strained family relations.
I couldnt agree more with the comments about how people settle in their new countrys based on where they came from in the UK and also if they had already moved a few times within the UK. I come from a town in Wales which is not that populated and I had never moved out of that town only travelled outside of it 20 minutes for work. I came to Australia and settled in the Gold Coast and for me that was like going to London. Its just seemed so populated, lots of traffic, suffocating. Now when I talk to others who live here who have come from Sydney, Melbourne, London, Birmingham etc they think its quiet. I also lived in a community where you could walk down the street and meet someone you know, that is what I miss. so it is based on where you came from and also you need to get it right first time on where you settle. it was easier to go back rather than try somewhere else.
Old Oct 30th 2010, 4:24 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garyp View Post
I couldnt agree more with the comments about how people settle in their new countrys based on where they came from in the UK and also if they had already moved a few times within the UK. I come from a town in Wales which is not that populated and I had never moved out of that town only travelled outside of it 20 minutes for work. I came to Australia and settled in the Gold Coast and for me that was like going to London. Its just seemed so populated, lots of traffic, suffocating. Now when I talk to others who live here who have come from Sydney, Melbourne, London, Birmingham etc they think its quiet. I also lived in a community where you could walk down the street and meet someone you know, that is what I miss. so it is based on where you came from and also you need to get it right first time on where you settle. it was easier to go back rather than try somewhere else.
Sounds like you came from the same place as me. Your not my Dh posting in disguise are you?
Old Oct 30th 2010, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Sounds like you came from the same place as me. Your not my Dh posting in disguise are you?
sounds like me too! Your not me in disguise are you
Old Oct 30th 2010, 4:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkkristen View Post
sounds like me too! Your not me in disguise are you
OMG I/We have multiple personalities. Who shall we be today.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Newton08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zednought View Post
This sounds familiar. Our container arrived this Monday, next Monday we get our first quote for sending the whole lot back to the UK. We've only unpacked some basic essentials the rest remains in its packaging. I'm hoping the shippers will reduce their costs accordingly: I suspect they'll be able to pack the entire house and load it onto a container in about an hour.

I'm hoping that one day we'll be philosophical about this little adventure and take some positives from it. This might take the sting out of the amount of money we've "invested" in Canada.

Back in June when we "landed" I was wondering what my first post would be in the Canniversary forum. Little did I know I'd short-circuit that and be posting in the MBTTUK forum. Life's full of little surprises isn't it?
Hi Zednought,

We are in the similar situation and thought that we would settle in eventually and live happily in Canada. 5 months later, the feeling of returning is getting stronger and we are planning to return early next year. Our goods are still in storage, I would appreciate if we could keep in touch so that I can learn from your process of returning. For example. will we have any issue with UK customs people?

Which part of Canada are you in?

Thanks

Newton08
Old Oct 31st 2010, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

zednought will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Newton08 View Post
Hi Zednought,

We are in the similar situation and thought that we would settle in eventually and live happily in Canada. 5 months later, the feeling of returning is getting stronger and we are planning to return early next year. Our goods are still in storage, I would appreciate if we could keep in touch so that I can learn from your process of returning. For example. will we have any issue with UK customs people?

Which part of Canada are you in?

Thanks

Newton08
Hi Newton08,

I'm in Ontario (Cambridge area). Not sure about UK customs, it did occur to me recently that anything new we've purchased in Canada might be subject to VAT. Not that I could care less, I'll be just glad to get home.

Feel free to PM me or send me an email. Happy to share experiences.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Newton08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Newton08,

I'm in Ontario (Cambridge area). Not sure about UK customs, it did occur to me recently that anything new we've purchased in Canada might be subject to VAT. Not that I could care less, I'll be just glad to get home.

Hi Zednought,

Thank you and will pm or email you.

Newton 08
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Newton08,

new goods should only be subject to tax if you declare the items as new on the forms when you ship container. its usually items less than 12 months old. do what everybody does dont declare.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by postman62 View Post
I just wanted to say a big thank you to everybody on the British Expat site. I've had a really unhappy 15 months living in Canada, suffering with really bad home sickness and really struggling to settle but finding this site and reading messages posted by different people has been a really big help. Moving to a new country is always a big gamble and for some people it works out really well, but for others like me it's been a total disaster. Well I'm now just days away from going home and I can't wait, my dog flew back on Saturday, the shipping company come tomorrow and I'm flying home on Sunday. Home really is where the heart is and for me that's definitely not Canada.
Expats is a treat to those who feel their new country is not home...we have been back in the U.K since May and although we are in a small rental home, my Oh is still in Aus until his work contract has finished (December 2010) having to help settle our two sons into their Education etc...it's not been all plain sailing but you know we could not be happier....its home and thats just all there is to it really.....the things we have seen and done since we have been home has just just lovely and really thats just in our own County....we have a visit to the Birmingham German Christmas Markets in December...we just have a lovely time yesterday with Halloween....seeing everyone dressing up and having a fun time (all ages lol) was great....bonfire night around the corner..the atmophere is well there is one and thats the difference..lol..it just feels even better than when we lived here before.....some of the shops have started to put their Christmas decorations up...we had a nice time in Aus and don't regret going but it was and is not home for us and that makes all the difference....
Old Nov 1st 2010, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know theres an awful lot of Yorkshire folk who are moving or have moved/thinking of moving back.
My theory is if you had a close knit family and great friends and lived in a nice area you want to go back more than someone who lived in a less desirable area or had strained family relations.
Of the 8 Couples who were friends of ours in Aus, 7 Couples who did like living in Aus and had no plans to return to the U.K were not from great areas in the U.K and also had dislocated family situations...the one couple who did love Aus were from a very pleasant area in the U.K and still had loads of friends there with nice family (met them a few times) and they loved Aus...We came from a nice area in the North West of England (and yes we do have those...lol)have a large family between us...were close but we also do our own thing more often than not....we found Aus okay, we just felt it was not home.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

OakvilleSarah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pinkkristen View Post
Good luck to the both of you! I am very envious!! We have been here about 20 months and are desp homesick!! Like you, we thought the kids would settle no probs and the little ones ( 3 and 4) have for obvious reasons, but our eldest (8), really found the move hard! She had a lot more and better friends in the UK and wish i could click my fingers and be back!
Its funny how people say you have to hit the 2 year mark, i think its utter rubbish, it may take 2 years for you to become numb, and to have had the "OP", but thats not the same thing.
I agree, for some people its great and for some its an absolute nightmare!
I would be interesting to do a poll on personality types and characteristics of people that have settled and the ones that haven't!

Enjoy the trip back, hopefully we will be not too far behind you!
I'm in Oakville too, just coming up for 4 years and feeling like our time here is up. I am pregnant and having the baby at Oakville Trafalger Hopstital in December (I also have two son's.....they were at Our lady of Peace in River oaks) and then we are moving over to Binbrook (near Hamilton Airport) where we have had a house built.........BUT I don't want to move to Binbrook anymore, I want to go home and so does my husband, there is nothing we can do about it right now, we have to move (and I have to have the baby, lol) but we are talking of getting over Christmas and then planning to go back. I have known of 3 couples that have gone home since we came and I also have Ex Pat friends here that love it and would never go home (they also have nothing nice to say about home) I find Canada very materialistic (Oakville especially) I miss going on days out to castles and being surrounded by History........I miss polite queing and i'm sick to death of bland food and franchise restaurants, I hate food shopping here, I want to buy wine in the supermarket. Everything the kids do after school is ultra expensive, not to mention Hydro and Cogeco........really expensive imo. I miss the high street, parking up and WALKING......walking is soley a leisure activity here, I want to push my pram into town, not to some identikit plaza. Yes i'm afraid our time is up, I just wish we hadn't got into this house building business which in hindsight was an attempt at trying to make a change without going the whole hog and going home.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

zednought will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by garyp View Post
new goods should only be subject to tax if you declare the items as new on the forms when you ship container. its usually items less than 12 months old. do what everybody does dont declare.
Gotcha!
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 12:35 am
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by OakvilleSarah View Post
I'm in Oakville too, just coming up for 4 years and feeling like our time here is up. I am pregnant and having the baby at Oakville Trafalger Hopstital in December (I also have two son's.....they were at Our lady of Peace in River oaks) and then we are moving over to Binbrook (near Hamilton Airport) where we have had a house built.........BUT I don't want to move to Binbrook anymore, I want to go home and so does my husband, there is nothing we can do about it right now, we have to move (and I have to have the baby, lol) but we are talking of getting over Christmas and then planning to go back. I have known of 3 couples that have gone home since we came and I also have Ex Pat friends here that love it and would never go home (they also have nothing nice to say about home) I find Canada very materialistic (Oakville especially) I miss going on days out to castles and being surrounded by History........I miss polite queing and i'm sick to death of bland food and franchise restaurants, I hate food shopping here, I want to buy wine in the supermarket. Everything the kids do after school is ultra expensive, not to mention Hydro and Cogeco........really expensive imo. I miss the high street, parking up and WALKING......walking is soley a leisure activity here, I want to push my pram into town, not to some identikit plaza. Yes i'm afraid our time is up, I just wish we hadn't got into this house building business which in hindsight was an attempt at trying to make a change without going the whole hog and going home.

Gosh - that is so like my tale - its untrue.
Just a different country (New Zealand) - lol

Have to have the baby here (Feb) and after that it will be time to try to make plans to go home.

We have finished building the new house, and yip, I love the house plan of it (I designed it) its only a house at the end of the day.
And now its an Earthquake damaged one.
Only minor (cosmetic cracks etc) damage (not like loads in Christchurch and Canterbury that are going to be pulled down) I have no idea when we will be paid our insurance - to get it fixed.

They are saying within 2 years.

Arhhhhhh - oh well - these things are sent to try us.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by OakvilleSarah View Post

bless ya, i am hearing you on all your comments! We are lucky, cos even though we have toyed with the idea of buying a house in an attempt to settle, we haven't managed to go through with it! I seem to be getting more desperate everyday and just want to be home, but we need a plan about my husbands business and as soon as thats done - we're gone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.