Nanny State Britain

Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:41 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Nanny State Britain

Originally Posted by Bevm
On the government trying to police food, along with all the other problems, often the science of the day is wrong! There's plenty of debate about whether cholesterol is bad for everyone, and certainly at one point there was a spate of small children with health problems because their parents thought it would be good to feed them skim milk. Cholesterol is an important building block for the brain and nerves.

At one point eggs were evil, now they're admitting they're a good food, and as they're cheap they could be a very healthy boost for diets when money's tight.

If they'd been able to follow scientific certainty decades ago they'd have tried to force everyone to eat margarine. They certainly convinced a whole lot of people it was good for them. And then, whoops, hydrogenated fats are lethal!

Then carbohydrates were wonder food. Eat lots of bread and pasta, but just make sure to avoid fat. Might as well inject sugar into the bloodstream.

And on, and on. But every time they're so so certain they're right.

Bev
So funny. We should just STOP listening and reading the media on lots of stuff.

A friend told me we should only eat food that granny would recognise!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:47 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Agree to some extent: the kids in UK who get bad press deserve bad press. Like you I have worked with them too, for 30 years now, so have a pretty clear idea of the change and the extent of change.

Those who get into the press, do so because they make 'good press' for the papers and 'good media' for television news.

Kida doing well, doesnt make 'good news' for these people.

There is a greater number of 'bad kids' with a more widespread and extreme form of 'badness' than 20 or 30 years ago. They have got worse.

However, like you say there ia a large majority of great kids who are good citizens and contribute to society. Many of the kids I worked with in UK did community work including working voluntarily in hospices.

Also the comment about young people being less healthy is correct. Too much time interacting with technology in 'virtual worlds' rather than real people in the real world. This has resulted in greater obesity and an inability to relate properly to the next generation up.

and......... just dont get me on to the drinking habits of the young ....... baaaaah humbug!
Time for parents to unplug the kids eh? It's such a babysiting tool these days and I know I've done it a little too much myself for a few extra moments peace BUT just got rid of telly and now only have DVDs to watch so we're much more selective about when and how much we watch.

Crap foods and too much telly is overt in some sections of society but not so much in others. Why don't people learn to cook a big spaghetti bolognaise that will last a few meals and is cheap and healthy if you pack it with vege rather than buying expensive packaged crap?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 10:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
They're obsessed with germs here in Canada too. H1N1 has made it so much bloody worse. There's asbestos in some school ceilings but they've forked up enough sanitizer for the entire bloody country.
All of North America seems to be health obsessed; almost everyone has allergies.

To be fair about H1N1, though, there seems to be two or three times as many cases as the UK despite half the population.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 11:14 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
All of North America seems to be health obsessed; almost everyone has allergies.

To be fair about H1N1, though, there seems to be two or three times as many cases as the UK despite half the population.
True, but some of really do suffer. I never had any problems till moving here. Today is damp, windy and cold, I'm breathing easy. But come summer with close to 40 and dry desert air and all the landscaped gardens I'm stuffed up so bad I get headaches. Worse with each passing year

I think the H1N1 was all a big rouse put about by the vaccine company
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:48 am
Ɖireann go BrĆ”ch

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil52
Please think hard before coming back....I cannot believe what this place has become since I have been back, I love it and everything seems OK......but the bloody Goverment is doing my head in

Just listened to a Goverment minister on the radio...he said "we have got the population used to drinking skimmd milk, now our next step is to get them on to fully skimmed milk" please just **** off.

Clarkson is spot on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18F9cbIJnPM

http://www.nannystatebritain.co.uk/

Householders are to be visited by officials offering advice on cooking with leftovers, in a Government initiative to reduce the amount of food that gets thrown away. Home cooks will also be told what size portions to prepare, taught to understand ā€œbest beforeā€ dates and urged to make more use of their freezers. The door-to-door campaign, which starts tomorrow,

A Birmingham mother has been fined Ā£75 for feeding the ducks at her local park - but her toddler son was allowed to carry on as he's too young to prosecute.

Vanessa Kelly, 26, was accosted by a council warden as she and 17-month-old Harry threw the birds scraps of bread in Smethwick, reports the Daily Telegraph.

She said: "The warden walked towards me and asked me to stop feeding the ducks because of complaints about children slipping over on their way to school on duck mess.

UK public broadcaster BBC is under fire for changing the lyrics on classics such as Humpty Dumpty and Little Miss Muffet to remove the negatives.

In the BBC version of Humpty Dumpty, the King's horses ā€œmade Humpty happy againā€ instead of ā€œcouldn't put Humpty together again.ā€ In Little Miss Muffet, Miss Muffet makes friends with the spider rather than being frightened away.
The worst thing about living back in Britain is people who constantly bang on about a 'nanny state' and 'pc gone mad'. Funny you never hear positive tales of health and safety and how many people its saved from injury.

Clarkson spot on?

Ooh dear.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:40 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
True, but some of really do suffer. I never had any problems till moving here. Today is damp, windy and cold, I'm breathing easy. But come summer with close to 40 and dry desert air and all the landscaped gardens I'm stuffed up so bad I get headaches. Worse with each passing year

I think the H1N1 was all a big rouse put about by the vaccine company
What is H1N1? I haven't heard that term before??
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:59 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
What is H1N1? I haven't heard that term before??
Swine flu.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 10:49 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Swine flu.
Thank you Lorna, I wonder why they didn't call it just plain old swine flu over there??
Old Jan 21st 2010, 2:21 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Lorna, I wonder why they didn't call it just plain old swine flu over there??
It's sounds dirty - you know like you caught something out of a pigsty. Lot of germphobes around here.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 3:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Its not actually called plain old Swine Flu anywhere - thats just one of the names its acquired in day-to-day life. Pandemic H1N1 is the official name worldwide.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 5:02 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its not actually called plain old Swine Flu anywhere - thats just one of the names its acquired in day-to-day life. Pandemic H1N1 is the official name worldwide.
Well you learn something new every day, thanks Pollyanna
Old Jan 21st 2010, 5:09 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the UK is reaping what it sows. Darwinean evolution is clearly being hampered by health and safety initiatives that are spareing the chav population an early death before they have a chance to reproduce (at age 12)?
Old Jan 21st 2010, 7:18 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Avoidance of the term Swine Flu was to protect the US Pork Industry, the name association was thought to potentially drive people away from buying and eating pork products.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 7:43 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by J.J
Avoidance of the term Swine Flu was to protect the US Pork Industry, the name association was thought to potentially drive people away from buying and eating pork products.
Interesting.

When I had it I didn't feel like eating ANYTHING at all!!
Old Jan 21st 2010, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil52
Please think hard before coming back....Householders are to be visited by officials offering advice on cooking with leftovers, in a Government initiative to reduce the amount of food that gets thrown away.
Apparently the amount of food that is wasted and thrown away in the UK for various reasons would be sufficient to feed the starving people of several third world countries in Africa.

BOGOFS - By One Get One Free's on foods-stuffs.......here in the UK Tesco supermarket store is to continue with the BOGOF deals but with a change of policy....you will be able to take just one of them home on the initial purchase together with a receipt indicating entitlement to the other, and at a later date you will be able to collect it on presentation of the receipt. The reason for this is obvious - up until now one gets eaten and the other goes "off" in the fridge if it is not put into the freezer on date of purchase.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.