Nanny State Britain

Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:22 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nanny State Britain

Originally Posted by Neil52
Please think hard before coming back....I cannot believe what this place has become since I have been back, I love it and everything seems OK......but the bloody Goverment is doing my head in

Just listened to a Goverment minister on the radio...he said "we have got the population used to drinking skimmd milk, now our next step is to get them on to fully skimmed milk" please just **** off.

Clarkson is spot on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18F9cbIJnPM

http://www.nannystatebritain.co.uk/

Householders are to be visited by officials offering advice on cooking with leftovers, in a Government initiative to reduce the amount of food that gets thrown away. Home cooks will also be told what size portions to prepare, taught to understand “best before” dates and urged to make more use of their freezers. The door-to-door campaign, which starts tomorrow,

A Birmingham mother has been fined £75 for feeding the ducks at her local park - but her toddler son was allowed to carry on as he's too young to prosecute.

Vanessa Kelly, 26, was accosted by a council warden as she and 17-month-old Harry threw the birds scraps of bread in Smethwick, reports the Daily Telegraph.

She said: "The warden walked towards me and asked me to stop feeding the ducks because of complaints about children slipping over on their way to school on duck mess.

UK public broadcaster BBC is under fire for changing the lyrics on classics such as Humpty Dumpty and Little Miss Muffet to remove the negatives.

In the BBC version of Humpty Dumpty, the King's horses “made Humpty happy again” instead of “couldn't put Humpty together again.” In Little Miss Muffet, Miss Muffet makes friends with the spider rather than being frightened away.
I am SOOO looking forward to my visit from the food police

That site you gave a link to is hilarious Neil, just read up on the brown sauce debacle and how they are going to PAY obese people to walk their own kids to school, you couldn't make these things up LOL!!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

How we remember our Childhood

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while They carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.They took aspirin,Ate blue cheese,raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat,
Tuna from a can,and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.
Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered
With bright coloured lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or
Cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no
Helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took
Hitchhiking.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts
Or air bags. We drank water from the garden hose and
NOT from a bottle.
Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway or Nandos.
Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm And didn't open on the weekends, somehow We didn't starve to death!
We shared one soft drink with four friends,From one bottle and NO ONE actuallyDied from this.
We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at
The corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers and
Bubble Gum. We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter And drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we Weren't overweight because......
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!
We would leave home in the morning and Play all day, as long as we were back when The streetlights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day.
And we were O.K.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out Of old prams and then ride down the hill, Only to find out we forgot the brakes.
We built tree houses and dens and played in River beds with matchbox cars.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii , X-boxes,
No video games at all, no 999 channels on cable ,
No video/dvd films,
No mobile phones, no personal computers,
No Internet or Internet chat rooms..........
WE HAD FRIENDS
And we went outside and found them!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth
And there were no Lawsuits from these accidents.
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt,And the worms did not live in us forever.
We were given air guns and catapults For our 10th birthdays,We rode bikes or walked to a friend's House and knocked on the door or rang the bell,Or just yelled for them!
RUGBY and CRICKET had tryouts and not everyone
Made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to Deal with disappointment. Imagine that Getting into the team was based on MERIT
Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes
And bully's always Ruled the playground at school.
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law
Was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility,
And we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL !
You might want to share this with others who have Had the luck to grow up as kids, before the Lawyers and the government regulated Our lives for our own good.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:14 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
So walking backwards or running is allowed?

I once got told off in Australia for jumping into a swimming pool. I told the rather grumpy women that as I was 29 years of age, I thought I would be ok to jump in a 1.5 metre deep pool!

Also the signs said no diving, so I presumed jumping was allowed. Needless to say she wasn't amused.
I hope she blew her whistle at you really hard - disgracefully reckless!!!

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 19th 2010 at 7:37 am.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jaxslad

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while They carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.They took aspirin,Ate blue cheese,raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat,
Hitchhiking.
NOT from a bottle.
Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway or Nandos.
Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm And didn't open on the weekends, somehow We didn't starve to death!
We shared one soft drink with four friends,From one bottle and NO ONE actuallyDied from this.
Bubble Gum. We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter And drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we Weren't overweight because......
We would leave home in the morning and Play all day, as long as we were back when The streetlights came on.
And we were O.K.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out Of old prams and then ride down the hill, Only to find out we forgot the brakes.
No video/dvd films,
WE HAD FRIENDS
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt,And the worms did not live in us forever.
We were given air guns and catapults For our 10th birthdays,We rode bikes or walked to a friend's House and knocked on the door or rang the bell,Or just yelled for them!
Made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to Deal with disappointment. Imagine that Getting into the team was based on MERIT
Was unheard of.
You might want to share this with others who have Had the luck to grow up as kids, before the Lawyers and the government regulated Our lives for our own good.
Awesome post, you however forgot collecting newts and frogspawn from ponds without a lifejacket
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:44 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

A man who jokingly tweeted that he would blow up a snow-clogged airport has been arrested by anti-terror police in the UK.

Paul Chambers decided to vent his frustration on the social-networking site after his plane was cancelled by the recent snowfall. "Robin Hood airport is closed," he tweeted. "You've got a week and a bit to get your s**t together, otherwise I'm blowing the airport sky high!!"

The joke backfired a week later when anti-terror police arrived on his doorstep and arrested him. "My first thought upon hearing it was the police was that perhaps a member of my family had been in an accident," Chambers told The Independent. "Then they said I was being arrested under the Terrorism Act and produced a piece of paper. It was a print-out of my Twitter page. That was when it dawned on me."

Mr Chambers was reportedly questioned for seven hours, before being bailed until 11 February, when he'll learn whether he'll be charged with conspiring to create a bomb hoax.

In the meantime, police deleted the bomb message from his Twitter account and have confiscated his iPhone, laptop and desktop computer.

He's also banned from the Doncaster airport for life.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

kenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the roughkenpom is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Beedubya
A man who jokingly tweeted that he would blow up a snow-clogged airport has been arrested by anti-terror police in the UK.

Paul Chambers decided to vent his frustration on the social-networking site after his plane was cancelled by the recent snowfall. "Robin Hood airport is closed," he tweeted. "You've got a week and a bit to get your s**t together, otherwise I'm blowing the airport sky high!!"

The joke backfired a week later when anti-terror police arrived on his doorstep and arrested him. "My first thought upon hearing it was the police was that perhaps a member of my family had been in an accident," Chambers told The Independent. "Then they said I was being arrested under the Terrorism Act and produced a piece of paper. It was a print-out of my Twitter page. That was when it dawned on me."

Mr Chambers was reportedly questioned for seven hours, before being bailed until 11 February, when he'll learn whether he'll be charged with conspiring to create a bomb hoax.

In the meantime, police deleted the bomb message from his Twitter account and have confiscated his iPhone, laptop and desktop computer.

He's also banned from the Doncaster airport for life.
I feel so sorry for him
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

jaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud ofjaxslad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kenpom
I feel so sorry for him
yes..it reminds me of the Film Meet the parents...when gaylord focker was holding his bags on the plane...and said the dreaded B..word.....LOL

kenpom...ya correct matey....that also...the frogs...Lol..and lots of other stuff we all did when we was younger...but it never hurt us huh?

Last edited by jaxslad; Jan 19th 2010 at 9:32 am. Reason: Editing:
Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:23 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
What a load of nonsense.
My thoughts too.

It's only a nanny state if we go by the rules, which most of us don't
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:30 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kenpom
I feel so sorry for him
I think he must be stupid.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 11:34 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaxslad

Hitchhiking.
NOT from a bottle.
And we were O.K.
No video/dvd films,
WE HAD FRIENDS
Was unheard of.
Mmmm, errrr, see the point that you are attempting to make (must of taken a while) here but you ignore the fact that, whilst that all did occur, it was largely out of ignorance, not because it was actually good. Lots of that stuff is proveably dangerous/unsafe - people didn't know better/were poorly educated. By your logic there's no point trying to make anything safer or better or healthier because it ''never did us any harm back in the 50s''. Why bother to put a seat belt round your kids if that's your 'thinking'?

Yes, that's how things were and people muddled through and the human race survived.

Doesn't mean that it was good though.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

There's always one party pooper anit it?

Never said it was right or wrong..
The point is to the story it didnt do any harm...for me and millions of others also..

Now chill out will ya..for christ sake....

OOOPS can i say that...?
Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:24 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mono
Mmmm, errrr, see the point that you are attempting to make (must of taken a while) here but you ignore the fact that, whilst that all did occur, it was largely out of ignorance, not because it was actually good. Lots of that stuff is proveably dangerous/unsafe - people didn't know better/were poorly educated. By your logic there's no point trying to make anything safer or better or healthier because it ''never did us any harm back in the 50s''. Why bother to put a seat belt round your kids if that's your 'thinking'?

Yes, that's how things were and people muddled through and the human race survived.

Well I do not remember "mass" deaths with children in the 40s 50 s 60s 70s who were allowed to climb trees and make a slide with the ice in the school playground or play conkers without safety goggles on,,,,we have become a pathetic nation that raps our kids and ourselves in cotton wool. pathetic.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Neil52
Well I do not remember "mass" deaths with children in the 40s 50 s 60s 70s who were allowed to climb trees and make a slide with the ice in the school playground or play conkers without safety goggles on,,,,we have become a pathetic nation that raps our kids and ourselves in cotton wool. pathetic.
I think Mono is a Nanny
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:08 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by mono

First off, you don't really think he typed all this, do you? I reckon it's a cut and paste job off the internet ...

Second, it's all to do with relative risk.

The risk back then of the occasional broken arm or drowning while running riot out in the wildies is far outweighed by the fact that today's Couch Kids (or "screenagers") are going to die prematurely in their thousands and cost the NHS far more because of type II diabetes, heart disease, etc., etc. than the occasional plaster cast in the old days.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:13 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dunroving
First off, you don't really think he typed all this, do you? I reckon it's a cut and paste job off the internet ...

Second, it's all to do with relative risk.

The risk back then of the occasional broken arm or drowning while running riot out in the wildies is far outweighed by the fact that today's Couch Kids (or "screenagers") are going to die prematurely in their thousands and cost the NHS far more because of type II diabetes, heart disease, etc., etc. than the occasional plaster cast in the old days.
Great point and spot on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.