Nanny State Britain

Old Jan 23rd 2010, 4:51 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nanny State Britain or not?

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
It's awful isn't it......maybe a fence or a rather large hedge. We have a neighbour with cats and they regularly poo all over our yard, (front and back) and do their spraying thing which stinks so, so bad. It's the most repulsive smell. I often let the dog out on patrol to bark them away......but I fantasize about doing much worse! The local council wouldn't do anything about it so we haven't even tried. Bloody cats are allowed to poo wherever they like!
Isn't there some kind of plant you can grow in your garden to deter cats?
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 5:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Isn't there some kind of plant you can grow in your garden to deter cats?
I'd love to find something like a Venus Fly Trap on steroids, if such a thing exists.

Funny, but in the States the majority of cats seem to be kept indoors and use litter trays, so it was never a problem there.

I've tried various deterrants like orange slices, commercial repellants (but they wash away every day it rains, which is essentially every day), pepper (same thing, washed away), but so far nothing works. It also makes gardening pretty unpleasant, especially if you don't wear gloves.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 1:47 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dunroving
Same in my back garden, and unfortunately my dog likes her late-night "snacks" left in the flower beds by the neighbour's cats. So far it has cost me in vets bills and carpet cleaning (cleaning up dog vomit consisting mainly of half-digested cat turds is not fun).

But like you say, for some reason it's not viewed as antisocial or unacceptable, whereas leaving dog turds on the sidewalks is (I don't do that, BTW).
Uuugghhh.....I can so relate to your poo plight. We had a turd eater too but she seems to have moved on to the delights of real food now she's older. A maturer palette! I'd have to brush her teeth and give her face a thorough wash. Nasty, nasty business. Our last dog would roll in dead seals. Holy goodness, the smell was unbelievable. Dogs.....kids....dirty things. Who'd have 'em?

And yes, we've tried all the lemons and orange rinds too to no avail. Cats are not neighbourly creatures. They defecate on your property, spray up your property and murder wild birds. Not the most pleasant of pets.

Last edited by lilybilly101; Jan 24th 2010 at 1:52 am.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 3:42 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nanny State Britain

We had a problem here with cats spraying my deck and along the patio door from my bedroom, it made the whole house smell like cat pee, gross.
What we ended up doing to deter the spraying was using black pepper,I sprinkled it along the wall of the house where it met the deck, and especially along the two doors. I had to do it a couple times a week for a while, but it did work. I got the giant container of pepper from Costco really cheap.
I haven't put out the pepper for a couple of years now.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 8:09 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We had a problem here with cats spraying my deck and along the patio door from my bedroom, it made the whole house smell like cat pee, gross.
What we ended up doing to deter the spraying was using black pepper,I sprinkled it along the wall of the house where it met the deck, and especially along the two doors. I had to do it a couple times a week for a while, but it did work. I got the giant container of pepper from Costco really cheap.
Oooooh, THAT I haven't tried! I love that....sneezing cats.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:00 am
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
That is why painters and decoraters are losing their jobs if cats are doing the job now in Australia