Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving to UK After University for Graduate Scheme - Possible?

Moving to UK After University for Graduate Scheme - Possible?

Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:01 am
Just Joined

Gabrca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to UK After University for Graduate Scheme - Possible?

Hi All-

British by birth, I have not resided in the UK since around the age of 10. I have gone through Secondary School (Middle and High) and now am just about to finish my University studies.

I am looking into applying to Graduate Scheme programm jobs in the UK post graduation.

Despite the obvious problem of me not being able to come in for an interview, unless they have a US office or willing to do via Skype, are their any potential immigration problems?

I hold both UK & US Passports. Hoping employers would see my "Americaness" as a plus without having to worry about immigration.

Any other advice for an American/Brit seeking employment in the UK?

Best,

Gabrca
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 11:53 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to UK After University for Graduate Scheme - Possible?

If you have a British passport, you will have no problems whatsoever with UK immigration. Simply show the Immigration Officer your British passport on arrival at the airport and you're in for as long as you choose to stay. Other things, like NI number & NHS card, can be sorted out once you're there.

I don't know much about Graduate Scheme Programmes in the UK, but if you make it clear to any UK employers from the start that you do have British citizenship, that should go in your favour, as they will not have any worries about visas. IMO, your US citizenship could well be a bonus in the UK employers' eyes (depending on the field perhaps).

Last edited by WEBlue; Jan 3rd 2013 at 11:56 am.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 12:08 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

My son works in a Graduate program in UK, it was for University graduates, not high school graduates. My younger son who has high school graduation works in a pub restaurant. Going to UK college.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Best wishes and good luck, Gabrca! It sounds to me as if you will stand out from the crowd, and your Americanness, without the visa complications, will be a positive asset. Let us know how you get on.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on the employer. Be aware though that a lot of graduate jobs are recruited for using assessment centers which are usually a whole day event. As a former recruiter unless your CV was outstanding I would be really pushed to justify you not taking part in this as lots of different data is gathered.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice! I've applied to a few things and whatever happens happens.

Have a couple of telephone interviews next week for US based companies, but will keep you updated on the UK search!
Old Jan 12th 2013, 7:05 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabrca
Thanks for all the advice! I've applied to a few things and whatever happens happens.

Have a couple of telephone interviews next week for US based companies, but will keep you updated on the UK search!
Sounds great, good luck.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Gabrca
Hi All-

British by birth, I have not resided in the UK since around the age of 10. I have gone through Secondary School (Middle and High) and now am just about to finish my University studies.

I am looking into applying to Graduate Scheme programm jobs in the UK post graduation.

Despite the obvious problem of me not being able to come in for an interview, unless they have a US office or willing to do via Skype, are their any potential immigration problems?

I hold both UK & US Passports. Hoping employers would see my "Americaness" as a plus without having to worry about immigration.

Any other advice for an American/Brit seeking employment in the UK?

Best,

Gabrca
Gabrca
I work for EDF Energy and a mentor for an engineer under the graduate scheme. Many of our graduates are non British. So its may be worth you looking at the following:

Hudd

http://careers.edfenergy.com/graduat...ate-programmes
Old Jan 12th 2013, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Good luck!
Old Jan 27th 2013, 1:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jemima55
Good luck!
Thanks!