British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Moving to UK After University for Graduate Scheme - Possible? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/moving-uk-after-university-graduate-scheme-possible-782304/)

Gabrca Jan 3rd 2013 5:01 am

Moving to UK After University for Graduate Scheme - Possible?

Hi All-

British by birth, I have not resided in the UK since around the age of 10. I have gone through Secondary School (Middle and High) and now am just about to finish my University studies.

I am looking into applying to Graduate Scheme programm jobs in the UK post graduation.

Despite the obvious problem of me not being able to come in for an interview, unless they have a US office or willing to do via Skype, are their any potential immigration problems?

I hold both UK & US Passports. Hoping employers would see my "Americaness" as a plus without having to worry about immigration.

Any other advice for an American/Brit seeking employment in the UK?

Best,

Gabrca

WEBlue Jan 3rd 2013 11:53 am

Re: Moving to UK After University for Graduate Scheme - Possible?

If you have a British passport, you will have no problems whatsoever with UK immigration. Simply show the Immigration Officer your British passport on arrival at the airport and you're in for as long as you choose to stay. Other things, like NI number & NHS card, can be sorted out once you're there.

I don't know much about Graduate Scheme Programmes in the UK, but if you make it clear to any UK employers from the start that you do have British citizenship, that should go in your favour, as they will not have any worries about visas. IMO, your US citizenship could well be a bonus in the UK employers' eyes (depending on the field perhaps).

Mummy in the foothills Jan 4th 2013 12:08 am

My son works in a Graduate program in UK, it was for University graduates, not high school graduates. My younger son who has high school graduation works in a pub restaurant. Going to UK college.

jemima55 Jan 4th 2013 10:02 pm

Best wishes and good luck, Gabrca! It sounds to me as if you will stand out from the crowd, and your Americanness, without the visa complications, will be a positive asset. Let us know how you get on.

Gillymonkey Jan 4th 2013 10:35 pm

It really depends on the employer. Be aware though that a lot of graduate jobs are recruited for using assessment centers which are usually a whole day event. As a former recruiter unless your CV was outstanding I would be really pushed to justify you not taking part in this as lots of different data is gathered.

Gabrca Jan 12th 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks for all the advice! I've applied to a few things and whatever happens happens.

Have a couple of telephone interviews next week for US based companies, but will keep you updated on the UK search!

Mummy in the foothills Jan 12th 2013 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Gabrca (Post 10479268)
Thanks for all the advice! I've applied to a few things and whatever happens happens.

Have a couple of telephone interviews next week for US based companies, but will keep you updated on the UK search!

Sounds great, good luck. :fingerscrossed:

huddm Jan 12th 2013 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Gabrca (Post 10461127)
Hi All-

British by birth, I have not resided in the UK since around the age of 10. I have gone through Secondary School (Middle and High) and now am just about to finish my University studies.

I am looking into applying to Graduate Scheme programm jobs in the UK post graduation.

Despite the obvious problem of me not being able to come in for an interview, unless they have a US office or willing to do via Skype, are their any potential immigration problems?

I hold both UK & US Passports. Hoping employers would see my "Americaness" as a plus without having to worry about immigration.

Any other advice for an American/Brit seeking employment in the UK?

Best,

Gabrca

Gabrca
I work for EDF Energy and a mentor for an engineer under the graduate scheme. Many of our graduates are non British. So its may be worth you looking at the following:

Hudd

http://careers.edfenergy.com/graduat...ate-programmes

jemima55 Jan 12th 2013 7:26 pm

Good luck!

Gabrca Jan 27th 2013 1:48 am

Originally Posted by jemima55 (Post 10479297)
Good luck!

Thanks!