Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK - Pet Relocation HELL

Moving back to UK - Pet Relocation HELL

Old May 28th 2021, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK - Pet Relocation HELL

IF the Germans think you need another certificate for UK entry they wil arrange it with their vet as they are a pet travel service so will have one handy..
Old May 28th 2021, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

mootymoots is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by angie_329
IF the Germans think you need another certificate for UK entry they wil arrange it with their vet as they are a pet travel service so will have one handy..
I'll report back once I find out from the German firm over the weekend or early next week! Thanks again!
Old May 29th 2021, 3:16 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I've flown cats into the UK.

The health certificate also known as 'fit to fly' must be filled in by an authorised vet and is very important . If it is not correct it will cause delays on clearing your pets. Normally pet companies scan and send the documents to the arrival port of entry so they can be checked and cleared BEFORE the flight leaves. are you in USA? The health cerficate is issued by a vet in originating country so you need to check that once the pets have cleared in Germany they dont need another certificate issued to enter UK . In EU this would normally be inside a pet passport.I am surprised your pet transporter cannot advise you on this. Are you committed to them? I could suggest alternatives. Which company are you using?

You can email the Animal reception centre at Heathrow ( HARC) on their contact form, they are very good, though busy, with your query on the health certificate.needed

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/serv...ception-centre

Who are you using for ground transport? Usually the person collecting the animal needs to be on the airway bill as 'consignee' and have a letter of authority . Are both pets on the same airwaybill. I presume so as one shipment of two crates.

There are a number of services that transport pets by ground in Europe. I think the option of transferring onto another plane should be looked at but only if animals can 'transit' via Germany and not have to clear through customs . If they did it would be restarting the drop off, waiting etc until boarding the next flight. An experienced pet travel company could advise.

You seem very knowledgeable. Any recommendations for a company or airline for sending a cat from Chicago to the UK? Is it at all recommended to do it diy, or is that a recipe for disaster? The pros seem hideously expensive, but if we have to, we have to. Also, mad as it sounds, have you ever known of a cat on the QM2?

Old May 29th 2021, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
You seem very knowledgeable. Any recommendations for a company or airline for sending a cat from Chicago to the UK? Is it at all recommended to do it diy, or is that a recipe for disaster? The pros seem hideously expensive, but if we have to, we have to. Also, mad as it sounds, have you ever known of a cat on the QM2?
Not heard of a cat on QE2! I heard you have to book ahead for dogs thoiugh. The key is the paperwork and the microchip/ rabies process, to get that correct to start with.

Also the vet will need to enter a health check on the documents no more than 10 days prior to flight.

The travel carrier also must be compliant for IATA standards.

In the US they are branded as Skykennel/ Petmate/Varikennel- Be careful to get one for international travel, it must have air holes on rear panel. Some are made that are for USA internal travel and don't have the airholes on rear. UK will not accept those. For cats Size one is good and accepted in UK.

This is a useful thread on pet travel from the USA to UK and things to watch out for. . Apparently you need a TOR number .

Returning to the UK with Pets

In an earlier post,' destone' said they used AA cargo. So possibly did it themselves? They may respond to requests for information.

I cannot recommend any pet travel company in particular though petrelocation/ com are well known and Starwood based in USA, and Petairuk com based in UK but they all work internationally. You could get quotes from them.

The US official site where you can get a list of accredited vets who know how to do the correct paperwork, which is often an issue. Is your cat microchipped already? if not get in preference an ISO compliant chip so it can be read on entry to UK, then do the rabies vaccine and pet passport/travel document. Usually after the vaccine the pet cannot travel for at least 3 weeks/21 days. If your chip is different you have to strap the chip reader to the carrier which is not ideal. In the USA they do use different chips I think.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel
Old May 29th 2021, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

'The pets must leave the U.S. within 48 hours from the date the USDA Accredited Veterinarian signs

the health certificate'.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet...-eu-no-dogs-uk

just read that under that site for UK travel ( non dog so applies to cats) from USA re the health certificate timing.
Old May 29th 2021, 4:47 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

From an article published March 2021.

Owners pay per kennel. The shorter upper kennels cost $800, and are meant for cats or animals weighing 25 pounds or less. While each cat requires two kennels, one for Kitty and the other for the litter box, two cat siblings can share a double kennel at no extra charge.

Cruising cats and dogs must adhere to the entry regulations set out by the U.S., U.K., and EU. That means showing proof of specific vaccinations or tapeworm treatments, or even a PET passport. The U.K. has restrictions on bringing pets back into the country, and might require a six-month probation.

Pets cruising from New York to Southampton need the following:
  • Microchip
  • Proof of rabies and tapeworm vaccinations
  • PETS certificate, official PET passport, or third-country certificate
  • Tapeworm treatment (dogs only) given one to five days before sailing
https://cruiseradio.net/pet-cruises-...-and-bookings/
Old May 29th 2021, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Very handy post about the QE2 and cats from spouseofscouse!

Just some more info that might helphttps://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/services/animal-welfare/travelling-with-animals/pet-transport-agents

This is a list of pet transport agents -as you need to clear the pets on arrival via an agent or the airline does it. I've flow them in from EU so could clear them myself.

People in other threads have mentioned Virgin Atlantic , where you can do it yourself rather than use a pet relocator, I think they fly code share from Chicago,worth checking.

Old May 29th 2021, 9:06 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Not heard of a cat on QE2! I heard you have to book ahead for dogs thoiugh. The key is the paperwork and the microchip/ rabies process, to get that correct to start with.

Also the vet will need to enter a health check on the documents no more than 10 days prior to flight.

The travel carrier also must be compliant for IATA standards.

In the US they are branded as Skykennel/ Petmate/Varikennel- Be careful to get one for international travel, it must have air holes on rear panel. Some are made that are for USA internal travel and don't have the airholes on rear. UK will not accept those. For cats Size one is good and accepted in UK.

This is a useful thread on pet travel from the USA to UK and things to watch out for. . Apparently you need a TOR number .

Returning to the UK with Pets

In an earlier post,' destone' said they used AA cargo. So possibly did it themselves? They may respond to requests for information.

I cannot recommend any pet travel company in particular though petrelocation/ com are well known and Starwood based in USA, and Petairuk com based in UK but they all work internationally. You could get quotes from them.

The US official site where you can get a list of accredited vets who know how to do the correct paperwork, which is often an issue. Is your cat microchipped already? if not get in preference an ISO compliant chip so it can be read on entry to UK, then do the rabies vaccine and pet passport/travel document. Usually after the vaccine the pet cannot travel for at least 3 weeks/21 days. If your chip is different you have to strap the chip reader to the carrier which is not ideal. In the USA they do use different chips I think.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel
'The pets must leave the U.S. within 48 hours from the date the USDA Accredited Veterinarian signs

the health certificate'.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet...-eu-no-dogs-uk

just read that under that site for UK travel ( non dog so applies to cats) from USA re the health certificate timing.
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
From an article published March 2021.

Owners pay per kennel. The shorter upper kennels cost $800, and are meant for cats or animals weighing 25 pounds or less. While each cat requires two kennels, one for Kitty and the other for the litter box, two cat siblings can share a double kennel at no extra charge.

Cruising cats and dogs must adhere to the entry regulations set out by the U.S., U.K., and EU. That means showing proof of specific vaccinations or tapeworm treatments, or even a PET passport. The U.K. has restrictions on bringing pets back into the country, and might require a six-month probation.

Pets cruising from New York to Southampton need the following:
  • Microchip
  • Proof of rabies and tapeworm vaccinations
  • PETS certificate, official PET passport, or third-country certificate
  • Tapeworm treatment (dogs only) given one to five days before sailing
https://cruiseradio.net/pet-cruises-...-and-bookings/
Very handy post about the QE2 and cats from spouseofscouse!

Just some more info that might helphttps://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/services/animal-welfare/travelling-with-animals/pet-transport-agents

This is a list of pet transport agents -as you need to clear the pets on arrival via an agent or the airline does it. I've flow them in from EU so could clear them myself.

People in other threads have mentioned Virgin Atlantic , where you can do it yourself rather than use a pet relocator, I think they fly code share from Chicago,worth checking.

Thanks both.

I got a quote from Starwood earlier, and they quoted me around 4k USD for one cat from Chicago to Heathrow which seems - expensive. And makes the ship option look better. But if that's what it is, then that's what it is. It wasn't even with them doing all the vet stuff though, I would still have to do that they would just "help" me by making sure I fulfilled the list. I don't want the cat at risk for any reason, either.

The QM2 approach seems mostly appealing to me, rather than the poor cat, who would have to be in a cage for seven days, and that after a trip from Chicago to the ship (which also seems really complicated whichever way you look at it). Dogs are allowed out to exercise on deck with their owners, but there's nothing for cats of course.

I'm also wondering about shipping him ahead, to my son, if son is living in a place where he can take the cat of course which isn't at all a certainty since he's a student.

So many lists to make. I need one big giant "how to move your life across the Atlantic after being here for eons" list.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; May 29th 2021 at 9:08 pm.
Old May 29th 2021, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks both.

I got a quote from Starwood earlier, and they quoted me around 4k USD for one cat from Chicago to Heathrow which seems - expensive. And makes the ship option look better. But if that's what it is, then that's what it is. It wasn't even with them doing all the vet stuff though, I would still have to do that they would just "help" me by making sure I fulfilled the list. I don't want the cat at risk for any reason, either.

The QM2 approach seems mostly appealing to me, rather than the poor cat, who would have to be in a cage for seven days, and that after a trip from Chicago to the ship (which also seems really complicated whichever way you look at it). Dogs are allowed out to exercise on deck with their owners, but there's nothing for cats of course.

I'm also wondering about shipping him ahead, to my son, if son is living in a place where he can take the cat of course which isn't at all a certainty since he's a student.

So many lists to make. I need one big giant "how to move your life across the Atlantic after being here for eons" list.
FWIW I found Starwood very expensive too. $4k just to get them to Germany, I would have to sort out the rest. Originally they quoted me $4K to go direct to London, but flights changed and they could no longer do it, so I got half the journey for the same price... no thanks!
Old May 29th 2021, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

I got a reply from Animal Couriers Ltd who said the health certificate should show UK as final destination. So that's one more in the UK vote. Still waiting to hear from the German courier.
Old May 29th 2021, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mootymoots
I'll report back once I find out from the German firm over the weekend or early next week! Thanks again!
I found this on the Canadian advice for EU non commercial health certificate:

Section I.5 – Consignee: The consignee is the person responsible for the animal(s) once arrived in the European Union. Enter the name and the coordinates of this person in the EU. As the non-commercial movement does not allow for transfer of ownership, the name of the consignee should be the same as the name of the consignor. The consignee address is the address in the Member State of first destination.
https://inspection.canada.ca/animal-.../1432236483281

So my name as the consignee, but the address as Germany... as that's the first destination?!?!

EDIT: I found this article from APHA/DEFRA: http://apha.defra.gov.uk/external-op...ts/8233NFG.pdf

Dated 2nd March 2021. Critically:
I.5 Consignee

This box must indicate the country of the first destination (an EU Member state or Northern Ireland) – for example if the traveler is going to Portugal via France, France must be indicated on the certificate (e.g. in the Address section, a full address is not essential). Other details should be the same as the consignor (Box I.1) as change of ownership is not permitted for a non-commercial move.
I think this solves it for sure! I have emailed APHA to confirm this is still correct information. I am surprised I get such conflicting info from pet courier companies!

Last edited by mootymoots; May 29th 2021 at 11:38 pm. Reason: more updates
Old May 30th 2021, 3:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both.

Four grand It cost less to send our boofhead dog (44kg) from Australia to the UK, and that included absolutely everything, all the paperwork and travel bookings, vet home visits to do vaccines and checks, flights, custom built crate, mid-trip kennels break in Dubai, pick up and drop off. I just had to hand him over to the vet taking him to Perth airport, and Scouse was in our UK home to receive him.

If you do send puss ahead to your son, remember:
Your pet must arrive in Great Britain no more than 5 days before or after you, or you’ll have to follow different rules.
https://www.gov.uk/bring-pet-to-great-britain
Old May 30th 2021, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Four grand It cost less to send our boofhead dog (44kg) from Australia to the UK, and that included absolutely everything, all the paperwork and travel bookings, vet home visits to do vaccines and checks, flights, custom built crate, mid-trip kennels break in Dubai, pick up and drop off. I just had to hand him over to the vet taking him to Perth airport, and Scouse was in our UK home to receive him.

If you do send puss ahead to your son, remember:
Your pet must arrive in Great Britain no more than 5 days before or after you, or you’ll have to follow different rules.
https://www.gov.uk/bring-pet-to-great-britain

It would probably be easier and even cheaper to just fly with him, hand him over, and fly back.

Or drive a rented car to the QM dock. Or - aaagh, Too many lists and too many moving parts.
Old May 30th 2021, 4:29 pm
Aoi
Forum Regular

Aoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond repute

It may not suit you, but some years back our pug travelled accompanied from Houston to Frankfurt in the cabin on Lufthansa (weight less than 8 kg including lightweight carrier). Tapeworm treatment was done in Frankfurt. Travel from Frankfurt to Hook of Holland was by train followed by an overnight ferry to Harwich and train from there. The ferry had kennels with cameras so that you can watch from your cabin. The paperwork was simpler because the dog had a valid EU pet passport issued in the UK.
Old May 30th 2021, 4:32 pm
Concierge

It would probably be easier and even cheaper to just fly with him, hand him over, and fly back.

Or drive a rented car to the QM dock. Or - aaagh, Too many lists and too many moving parts.
It's a real pain in the arse to make it all come together. If your lists look like mine did, they're all over the place and don't 'talk' to each other at all!

Lots of KBO, you'll get there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.