Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK - Pet Relocation HELL

Moving back to UK - Pet Relocation HELL

Old May 30th 2021, 7:15 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK - Pet Relocation HELL

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It's a real pain in the arse to make it all come together. If your lists look like mine did, they're all over the place and don't 'talk' to each other at all!

Lots of KBO, you'll get there

KBO it is.

So many things I don't know, and covid restrictions aren't helping.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

mootymoots is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aoi
It may not suit you, but some years back our pug travelled accompanied from Houston to Frankfurt in the cabin on Lufthansa (weight less than 8 kg including lightweight carrier). Tapeworm treatment was done in Frankfurt. Travel from Frankfurt to Hook of Holland was by train followed by an overnight ferry to Harwich and train from there. The ferry had kennels with cameras so that you can watch from your cabin. The paperwork was simpler because the dog had a valid EU pet passport issued in the UK.
I wish my life was that simple Unfortunately we don't have a passport for them as born in USA.
Old Jun 4th 2021, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

britinusa777777755 is an unknown quantity at this point

Simple solution to this problem. I did it myself.

Fly to Dublin (not UK) with your dog or cat. Take a ferry to the UK and you are home free with your pet.

Did it myself and it was the best possible way for me personally to bring my pet to the UK.
Old Jun 4th 2021, 3:06 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britinusa777777755
Simple solution to this problem. I did it myself.

Fly to Dublin (not UK) with your dog or cat. Take a ferry to the UK and you are home free with your pet.

Did it myself and it was the best possible way for me personally to bring my pet to the UK.
Presumably you had entry requirements for both Ireland and the UK though? Sounds more complicated rather than less. What am I missing?

And now of course I would imagjne you would have you quarantine in Ireland if you are leaving the airport.
Old Jun 4th 2021, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
You seem very knowledgeable. Any recommendations for a company or airline for sending a cat from Chicago to the UK? Is it at all recommended to do it diy, or is that a recipe for disaster? The pros seem hideously expensive, but if we have to, we have to. Also, mad as it sounds, have you ever known of a cat on the QM2?
Originally Posted by mootymoots
I found this on the Canadian advice for EU non commercial health certificate:

https://inspection.canada.ca/animal-.../1432236483281

So my name as the consignee, but the address as Germany... as that's the first destination.

EDIT: I found this article from APHA/DEFRA: http://apha.defra.gov.uk/external-op...ts/8233NFG.pdf

Dated 2nd March 2021. Critically:

I think this solves it for sure! I have emailed APHA to confirm this is still correct information. I am surprised I get such conflicting info from pet courier companies!
Been catching up on the posts

Yes it does seem from your link that the EU Health certificate is used to enter EU and then can be used to enter UK within 4 months.

My experience is EU to UK on several occasions, but on the AWB the 'consignee' can be person who picks the pet up after clearing. So it could be a pet taxi, a friend if owner not travelling on the same flight. The pet passport has the name of the owner in it. . I also had to provide a signed letter of authority ( to Heathrow animal reception centre) for the pet courier to collect the pet. No one checked if I flew within 5 days.

It will be down to the German animal reception centre who make their rules for collection. Frankfurt has a good animal reception centre.

On the costs get a quote for both animals together as I found that shipping two carriers on one shipment ( one AWB) is proportionately cheaper than one pet at a time on different flights /AWB. You need height width depth of each carrier and weight of each carrier with animal in it for a quote.

Also get another company quote. In your case you are limited by the fact not all airlines will fly your dog breed. If you are using Lufthansa will they let you deal direct with their cargo agent? That will save a lot.

Bringing animals is expensive, per carrier pet, an EU iinto UK flight with all the additional costs on arrival can be 750 to 1000 pounds.

I just found this for UK import.-
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...h-certificates

I found this USA model heatlh certifcate form with red explanatory info for the boxes which may be helpful. Hopefully the accredited vet knows how to fill in it correctly.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulatio...%20consignment.