Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK with Pets

Returning to the UK with Pets

Old Oct 5th 2018, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

nikaeDS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to the UK with Pets

I have to say that this has been one of the most stressful events in my life, and we haven't even boarded the plane to return yet. If you are considering returning to the UK from the USA and are going to be bringing your pet(s) and not using the very expensive Pet Service - I have to say this will not be for the feint hearted. We have 4 cats and a German Shepherd.

Get your TOR number - quite easy now they have sorted it out; you will not be able to ship without it. I suggest you start early and make sure your vet is fully up to par with all that is required. You will need a USDA Accredited Veterinarian - a list can be found from APHIS website, but ask your vet if they are part of this scheme; even if they are it does not mean they are familiar with the form filling, all dates need to be in the DD/MM/YYYY format.

Cats - Make sure they are ISO compliant microchipped - if not they will have to go through the Microchipping and then re vaccinating with Rabies vaccine - you will need to have the ORIGINAL microchipping certificates (hard thing these days when everything gets confirmed via email) - If your pet has been microchipped in the past you will need to show evidence of the Date microchipped and Microchip number also. Oh - what happens when your cat's new ISO compliant microchip disappears after 4 months and you only have days to go before you leave (let's hope you don't go through that).
Dogs are the but up to 72 hours before arrival in UK they must have a Tapeworm medication, in this case Drontal Plus - make sure that you put on the Annexe IV form that is it's active ingredient is Praziquantel, This applies for all of the vaccines that pets have been given, they want the NAME OF THE VACCINE not just the Manufacturer.
When all the relevant paperwork - Annexe IV is completed (except for the Tapeworm) you will need to make an appointment at your local APHIS office unless you send via FedEX or such like (we drove 2 hours to ours so check where your local office is). The Rabies must be valid for 1 year and stated as such so if they have one this year 2018 next one is due 2019 (even if the vaccine they have been given is a 3 year one).
If you are lucky and have no issues, and good luck with that one; all the papers need to scanned and sent to your chosen airline - though I am sure each one is different, we chose Virgin only because they have a direct flight and who needs to mess about with extra paperwork if you stop off at different locations before arrival in the UK. Even the simplest of things can cause palpitations................ ours were sent in good time 7 days before departure only to be asked 3 days before ":Please send" - this is the things nightmares are made of.
Crating is another issue. Pets ears have to be 2" - 3" from the roof of the crate. Our GS bless him - his ears were folding in the biggest Field Crate you can buy - he's a tall lad - yet another calamity. If this happens to you, fear not you can buy extenders from the Pet Travel Store - ok so it will cost you nearly $200 extra but do you want Fido to go with you or not. (this exercise seems a little futile to me because the cat or dog is going to lying down for most the journey - but rules is rules).

This is all such serious stuff you have to deal with, along with your belongings bobbing around on the ocean and living in a virtual empty house for 4 weeks; not to mention trying to get YOUR money across without incurring being red flagged by the powers that be, that's a different thread all by itself.
If we all make it without any further hiccups I will be much surprised but most eternally grateful because folks I am truly at the end of my rope. If we lived near New York I would most definitely of taken the QEII as the cost isn't that much different and at least we would of had some "down time" before we got to the other end.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

dlm57741 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Returning to the UK with Pets

Hello!

I'm also looking to ship my 80lb lab mix who is tall and thin, back to the UK. I brought the largest 700 series crate available from Impact Dog Crates (over $1,000 with airline rails and crate pad) and although his ears are not always perked up there is not much room between his ears and the top of the crate when he is standing. Do you have any advice? I'm really worried about this as I can't buy a larger crate. Also, I brought the attachable water and food bowls but they take up alot of room in the crate and it appears the water will just spill out anyway? Are you allowed to give your dog something from the vet to relax him? Can you provide a break down of the cost to ship your dog? Reading your post has really scared me.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Hi dlm 57741 - my crate is also 48 x 32 x 35, well it was when we bought it but then we bought the extenders as I said so it is perhaps a good 4" taller - you get them from Pet Travel Store - search within the Crate Assessories - looking at the Impact Dog Crates it does not look like you can use them to extend your crate: which does look very nice and sturdy being made of alumium. Not sure how my boy is going to react - he could go one of two ways and the way things are working out for us right now I feel it may be the way I don't want. That in mind the airlines will not allow you to sedate your dog for the flight. I bought an ADAPTIL adjustable collar (from the Vets but I'm sure you could buy in pet store or online) which releases pheromone - this apparently will calm the dog; willing to try anything to ease his possible anxiety. We also bought the stainless steel water bowl which attaches to the inside of the door; our particular one has the bowl that screws onto the base so it will not come off. As food will not be given on the flight I don't see the point of having two bowls; water will be given before and then obviously when they land. Regarding cost of shipping is difficult to break down as we are also shipping 4 cats; but the cost for all of them is around $5800. The best way to find out is to contact your chosen airline. I will add also that our airline would not allow flights that landed on a Saturday or a Sunday and also no bookings from June 1st to Sept 30th.
The post wasn't meant to scare anyone - I wanted to make people aware what they are up against. It wouldn't be so bad if all the airlines; DEFRA, & APHIS all sang from the same hymn sheet; do your homework, try and be patient (says she at the end of her rope) and hopefully you will get through it. We have done everything methodically, diligently and to the letter but there will always be something that does not please one entity or another.
Old Oct 6th 2018, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I would still have recommended a professional pet shipping company. To not underestimate this. When we were picking up our little one from Heathrow, a family were in tears because of a tiny mistake on their paperwork was resulting in their cat being refused entry - all it was was part of the vets signature had gone slightly outside the box they sign in.

Also, do not underestimate what can go wrong. For example, with us, within hours of the flight, the airline suddenly announced it would no longer transport animals and his booking was cancelled. Luckily, we had excellent pet shippers who were able to arrange an alternative flight.

On top of this, we calculated that the difference in cost between using a pet shippers and doing it ourselves was a only a few hundred. Oh, and they provided the crate within that.
Old Oct 6th 2018, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

brokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond repute

I can concur the stress of moving a pet from USA to UK is awful. I too used Virgin, and it is worth noting they do not handle pets over a weekend. I had several conversations with the girls at Virgin (the UK number) and I was able to ship without a ToR number but got knobbled for VAT for the privilege - I know I panicked when I read about the paperwork for that aspect and I called them - they were very helpful and patient.

I will say you absolutely need to educate yourself on the requirements - my USDA Vet office staff failed to follow my expressed directions when i dropped my dog to board with them in May. I had to go out of state a few days before planning to leave and i thought i would get ahead of the game as this part of the process requires to be done ahead of the health certificate by a specific amount of days ( 31 comes to mind but i could be wrong) - so I boarded my dog with the Vets and asked for microchip first to be followed by rabies vaccination in that order, even explained why. On returning and back home I realised the microchip hadn't been done but the rabies vaccine had! I was not amused and despite explaining that living in rural Alaska means this is not a 30 minute drive back to the Vet. Part of the process involves having the State Vet approving the USDA Vet's paperwork ( this is where those embossed stamps get applied). He picked up the fact that the tapeworm treatment didn't state the active compound or something like that - so i double down on the OP's post about that - manufacturer and compound.
I returned to the Vet after the State Vet had made these recommendations and all seemed done - until Saturday night - the night before I fly from Alaska to Seattle to get the Virgin flight - I review the Health certificate - i see a space empty that requires the Vets signature - panic ensues at 6.30pm as I endeavor to contact the Vet. I found her on facebook and message her, I called the emergency call number in case they had a contact number for her and in the end I googled her name and ended up calling her parents number in a entirely different state leaving a message on their ansamachine ( i didnt know it but it was gone midnight at their end). I received a call from the Vet - very apologetic and she met me back at the clinic with her admin staff and went through the certificate and made sure all signatures where on there. She did ask how i had found her parents number as they had called her - apparently she admitted she would never have seen the facebook message in time.
State vet indicated that the UK authorities like signatures in blue ink, I haven't read that anywhere but it makes sense in some ways. There is a lot of information on various websites and I thought I could do this on my own, however with hindsight, it was stress on stress as I was also dealing with the aftermath of my husband passing away in January, and I probably should have found someone to do this for me, though living in rural Alaska brought a lot of unique problems in this process that wouldn't be issues if you live in a city. Bear in mind the health certificate is valid for 10 days from the time the vet signs it - the tapeworm treatment has a 5 day window within the 10 days so really you need to talk to your vet and have a plan of action. I got the impression, in my case the admin person basically told the Vet where she needed to sign - so it might be worth getting to know the admin person and clarifying what experience they have with this.
I also saw a lady be refused her dog because her vet had used a in house code for the rabies vaccination and HARC staff could not release her pet to her. She was distressed and it was pretty clear she felt the staff at HARC were being awkward.
It can be done but I made it my business to read everything I could on the official government and state websites, I called the State Vet several times to clarify stuff i wasn't sure about, and made a general nuisance of myself but I did not want a disaster for the sake of a detail I had overlooked.
For me the biggest cost came from the actually cargo charge - $1700 - though it was my personal choice to pick a larger crate as I was concerned about her ability to lay down fully extended - it might be worth listing all the things you need to do and asking the vet for estimates. The airline you use should have information on what they require when shipping your pet.... another source of information

Last edited by brokenhearted.; Oct 6th 2018 at 4:39 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2018, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

brokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond reputebrokenhearted. has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing - the crate I used was one of those sky kennels,(dog is a 6lb min pin) but for those using a sky kennel please buy metal nuts and bolt packs - I bought my crate from Amazon (purely convenience) even if you are not buying it from amazon can i recommend you go look at the reviews for sky kennels and see the advice regarding the metal nuts and bolts.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

dlm57741 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again. Just wondering if all went ok with getting your pets into the U.K. I just got an official quote from a pet moving company and it’s $7500 to ship by dog (door-to-door: Indiana to Great Yarmouth). This does not include the crate or vet fees. I do have to buy the same crate you used (with pet extenders). Just wondering if you know how much you spent to ship your German Shepard? I’m no longer concerned about getting him into the country but the price tag has me crying!
Old Oct 26th 2018, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Hi dlm57741 - we all arrived safely and the pets were fine. I can't answer you with an individual price for my German Shepherd because it was a lump price with the airline for 4 cats and him. I would suggest you contact the airline you are considering using directly and see what they can offer you. We flew from Orlando to Manchester; not sure where you would fly into from Indiana. $7500 seems a lot for one dog but that is because you are using a pet moving company. The price for all our pets was less than $6000.00 and we did all the work - we flew Virgin. I hope this helps some.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Breefinns is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nikaeDS

1. Get your TOR number - quite easy now they have sorted it out; you will not be able to ship without it. I suggest you start early and make sure your vet is fully up to par with all that is required. You will need a USDA Accredited Veterinarian - a list can be found from APHIS website, but ask your vet if they are part of this scheme; even if they are it does not mean they are familiar with the form filling, all dates need to be in the DD/MM/YYYY format.

2. Cats - Make sure they are ISO compliant microchipped - if not they will have to go through the Microchipping and then re vaccinating with Rabies vaccine - you will need to have the ORIGINAL microchipping certificates (hard thing these days when everything gets confirmed via email) - If your pet has been microchipped in the past you will need to show evidence of the Date microchipped and Microchip number also. Oh - what happens when your cat's new ISO compliant microchip disappears after 4 months and you only have days to go before you leave (let's hope you don't go through that).

3. The Rabies must be valid for 1 year and stated as such so if they have one this year 2018 next one is due 2019 (even if the vaccine they have been given is a 3 year one).

4. Crating is another issue. Pets ears have to be 2" - 3" from the roof of the crate. Our GS bless him - his ears were folding in the biggest Field Crate you can buy - he's a tall lad - yet another calamity. If this happens to you, fear not you can buy extenders from the Pet Travel Store - ok so it will cost you nearly $200 extra but do you want Fido to go with you or not. (this exercise seems a little futile to me because the cat or dog is going to lying down for most the journey - but rules is rules).
Hi nikaeDS - I've numbered bits from your original post so I can ask you direct questions pertaining to them. Based on your experience, I'd really appreciate your (or anyone else's) input!

1. I'm a bit confused with the TOR form. I'm an American citizen moving to the UK, and my husband is a Brit moving back to the UK – would he be the one to file a TOR, or myself, or both of us? Also, you mentioned all dates need to be in the DD/MM/YYYY format – is this in regard to the TOR form only, or on everything related to the Health Certificate and paperwork? Does this include the rabies certificate, etc?

2. I had an ISO microchip implanted in my dog back in 2011; I initially planned to move to England to be with my husband at that point, but he ended up moving to the States instead (he is a Green Card holder). The vet from that time has no documentation of the microchip implant. Apparently, they lost a bunch of files during a software transfer for their filing. What can I do instead since I can't prove an exact date? Any ideas?? The microchip number is on all of his records, including his rabies certificate, from thereon; but no proof of the exact date.

3. My dog had a 3-year rabies booster, which expires May 3, 2020. Will this still suffice if we don't arrive until, say May 5, 2019 (making it just than one year)? Or should we administer another booster, prolonging the validity?

4. For your German Shepherd, what size crate did you get? Was it a large with extenders, or extra large? My 80 lb Golden Retriever fits alright in a Large crate, even height-wise, but I'm wondering if an X-large would be more comfortable.

Thanks in advance for your advice, and massive thanks for your detailed post. It's been very helpful!
Old Feb 12th 2019, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Also, regarding the TOR – We will not actually be shipping anything to England after arrival. But we will have 2 large suitcases each and our dog.

I keep reading mixed advice on this:
1. Only file if you're shipping belongings separately
2. You must file, even if you're not shipping, as long as you're moving a pet over.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 12th 2019, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Not familiar enough with the ToR paperwork to help there but the microchip must be registered with a provider? Do you have an account that you can log into that might carry info or call the chip people?
Old Feb 12th 2019, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

That's what's so bizarre... not only do I have no documentation of the chip, but it doesn't even come up on any online microchip searches! It's like it doesn't even exist! My dog is AKC certified, so I ended up adding the chip number to his AKC registration just last week; but as far as I know, that's the only place the number exists. Not only is it frustrating that his vet doesn't have anything to prove it, but I'm absolutely kicking myself for not acquiring any documentation for my own records. I'm wondering if he'll have to get another chip for the documentation alone; unless anyone else has advice?
Old Feb 12th 2019, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Breefinns
Hi nikaeDS - I've numbered bits from your original post so I can ask you direct questions pertaining to them. Based on your experience, I'd really appreciate your (or anyone else's) input!

1. I'm a bit confused with the TOR form. I'm an American citizen moving to the UK, and my husband is a Brit moving back to the UK – would he be the one to file a TOR, or myself, or both of us? Also, you mentioned all dates need to be in the DD/MM/YYYY format – is this in regard to the TOR form only, or on everything related to the Health Certificate and paperwork? Does this include the rabies certificate, etc?

2. I had an ISO microchip implanted in my dog back in 2011; I initially planned to move to England to be with my husband at that point, but he ended up moving to the States instead (he is a Green Card holder). The vet from that time has no documentation of the microchip implant. Apparently, they lost a bunch of files during a software transfer for their filing. What can I do instead since I can't prove an exact date? Any ideas?? The microchip number is on all of his records, including his rabies certificate, from thereon; but no proof of the exact date.

3. My dog had a 3-year rabies booster, which expires May 3, 2020. Will this still suffice if we don't arrive until, say May 5, 2019 (making it just than one year)? Or should we administer another booster, prolonging the validity?

4. For your German Shepherd, what size crate did you get? Was it a large with extenders, or extra large? My 80 lb Golden Retriever fits alright in a Large crate, even height-wise, but I'm wondering if an X-large would be more comfortable.

Thanks in advance for your advice, and massive thanks for your detailed post. It's been very helpful!
Hi Breefinns: Let me see if I can help you any.

I would suggest that your husband's name goes first on the TOR form, you also will have to be added; his company name and address also will be required.
I would go through the TOR form online; it does not get saved so you can go all the way through and have a "practice" at it.
The date format DD/MM/YYY I would encourage you to use on all the forms; but especially on the health certificate. To be honest on reflection it wasn't as daunting as it sounds; but I was mega stressed to say the least. If you find an FDA approved Veterinary who has done these forms before you should be ok, just double check everything and make sure they comply with the forms.
Regarding your microchip info you may have to have this done again, because you need to have the registration information (ours in the US were registered with Home Again and then I also registered them with the Kennel Club one in the UK, you can do this online). If you do have to remicrochip you will also need to have the Rabies again as it has to be done sequentially.
I would look at the dates that you are expecting to leave the US for the UK and work 10 days back from that as that is the date that all the paperwork needs to start; once the health certificate is signed by the APHIS folk you have 10 days to leave the country.

The crate we had for our German Shepherd was the largest Field Crate you can buy along with the extenders. He was very comfortable in it. You are also required to provide a water bowl attached to the door.
I noticed from your post that you are returning in May - I do not know where you are flying from or which airport to in the UK but I strongly urge you to check with your airline to make sure that they will accept your pet as some have restrictions during the warmer months also the facilities at certain airports do not work on weekends and will not be able to receive your pet.

I do believe that even if you are only coming in with suitcases you are still required to complete the TOR forms as this is a Transfer of Residence - your dog will also need to be added to this form.

I hope some of this helps. Just take deep breaths and go step by step.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nikaeDS
Hi Breefinns: Let me see if I can help you any.

I would suggest that your husband's name goes first on the TOR form, you also will have to be added; his company name and address also will be required.
I would go through the TOR form online; it does not get saved so you can go all the way through and have a "practice" at it.
The date format DD/MM/YYY I would encourage you to use on all the forms; but especially on the health certificate. To be honest on reflection it wasn't as daunting as it sounds; but I was mega stressed to say the least. If you find an FDA approved Veterinary who has done these forms before you should be ok, just double check everything and make sure they comply with the forms.
Regarding your microchip info you may have to have this done again, because you need to have the registration information (ours in the US were registered with Home Again and then I also registered them with the Kennel Club one in the UK, you can do this online). If you do have to remicrochip you will also need to have the Rabies again as it has to be done sequentially.
I would look at the dates that you are expecting to leave the US for the UK and work 10 days back from that as that is the date that all the paperwork needs to start; once the health certificate is signed by the APHIS folk you have 10 days to leave the country.

The crate we had for our German Shepherd was the largest Field Crate you can buy along with the extenders. He was very comfortable in it. You are also required to provide a water bowl attached to the door.
I noticed from your post that you are returning in May - I do not know where you are flying from or which airport to in the UK but I strongly urge you to check with your airline to make sure that they will accept your pet as some have restrictions during the warmer months also the facilities at certain airports do not work on weekends and will not be able to receive your pet.

I do believe that even if you are only coming in with suitcases you are still required to complete the TOR forms as this is a Transfer of Residence - your dog will also need to be added to this form.

I hope some of this helps. Just take deep breaths and go step by step.
I really appreciate your kindness and willingness to help – THANK YOU!

You're right about May. We live in Maine and will be flying out of JFK , and we've decided to leave in April instead. We'll also make sure it's on a weekday that we travel.

About the microchip, I ended up contacting the APHIS office in New York to ask about it. They said that the rabies certificate will suffice, as long as the microchip number is included; however, like you said, I'll still have to get a rabies vaccine (not just a booster), just to start the actual timeline and have it count as the "primary" vaccine. Thus, we'll still be within the 21-day waiting period before travel. So, that's our plan of action now.

I also ended up ordering the X-large crate for our big boy. Any recommendations on the water bowl? What did you use? Did you freeze it overnight? And did you use anything to help calm your GS? My dog is really chill and laid back, but does not travel well. Even in the car, where he can easily see me, he shakes like a leaf. I've bought "calming aid" tablets in the past, but they've done nothing for him. I'm very worried about him on the plane and am all ears to any advice. Also, I know the bottom has to be water-proof and/or absorbent. Did you add anything for comfort? My boy is 10 1/2 and has some arthritis. I wasn't sure if an orthopedic pad or something similar is acceptable.

Thanks also for the advice on the TOR. I'll start "practicing" on it today and go from there.

You've been a massive help – thank you.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Hi again: The water bowl we used was a stainless steel one, about 6-8 inches wide and it attached to the door with a single nut. We provided water for him when we got to the airport drop off - they basically take it from there, obviously there will be no water given in flight but once landed and have gone through customs and immigration and vet check place they will be given toilet break and water and I believe they told us they gave Saxon some food. We bought one of those anti stress collars; but another thing they don't tell you til you get there is there should be NO COLLARS on your dog; nothing! So that anti stress collar was a waste of money and ended in the bin. From all accounts once they are onboard and up up and away they tend to sleep; my boy was all raring to go when we picked him up with no side effects at all; along with our 4 cats, one who is 16years old - she did really well and wasn't fazed at all. They do not allow you to "sedate" and I think if you gave any type of calming medication it would wear off way before the flight considering they have to be at the airport 4 hours before departure (ours did, other airlines may have different rules), include the flight time and then the time it takes to collect your pet.. Yes the bottom of the crate has to be waterproof and also it has to be aerated on 4 sides which if you have purchased a newer crate this will come with the air holes all around except for the top and bottom. You will also need to have stainless steel fasteners not the plastic ones; these can be purchased online. We put a bath mat in the bottom of our crate which fit perfectly and under that we had one of those doggy pee pads; just in case. We did have an orthopedic mat in our 16 yr old cats crate and they allowed that - they will open the crate in any case to check for any contraband; so don't be stashing your stash in there LOL.
If there is anything else just shout up. I'm sure you will be fine. Oh one last thing - unless you fly direct to your destination you will need to have paperwork for each destination you go through - but if you do fly direct from JFK to say Heathrow or Manchester you will be ok.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.