Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving Back As a Single Parent

Wikiposts

Moving Back As a Single Parent

Old May 19th 2013, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

brightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to allbrightonbelle is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving Back As a Single Parent

Hey,

couldn't just read and run.

Nope, I have no experience of moving back from another country.....but I can tell you what life can be like as a single parent in the UK

I split from ex husband when my daughter was two. She is now 23!!

Over this time, support both financially and practically for lone parents has improved dramatically.

I started out having to leave our house and going into a homeless families hostel (no family for support). Everything was sold...house (I had no job so couldn't take over the mortgage and he made it clear he wasn't going to help out - at all) ....all the furniture got sold as I had nowhere to store it, and finally the car went (he took it-and it was my car!!).

After the hostel the council gave me a nice little flat, and after a few years an even nicer little house (still living in it now). After a few months of being unemployed, I worked as a childminder which because of support for working the govt topped up my low income and I managed very well. I received help to improve myself academically, so much so I gained a degree with the O.U. I then trained at a "traditional" uni as a registered nurse.

Life now? bloody brilliant great job, decent income, good savings, nice home....great friends.

That's not to say life doesn't throw you the odd curve ball now and again...but that's life isn't it.

My message to you.....IT WILL ALL WORK OUT, IT WILL BE OK.

One step at a time. Get home, spend some time adjusting. Go to job centre, gingerbread and citizens advice to find out what help to get and where (things like getting your name down for a housing list etc) and of course getting your little one in at a local school.

Things will fall into place. One piece at a time.

pm me if you need any advice...I will help out if I can

Ty
Old May 19th 2013, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brightonbelle
Hey,

couldn't just read and run.

Nope, I have no experience of moving back from another country.....but I can tell you what life can be like as a single parent in the UK

I split from ex husband when my daughter was two. She is now 23!!

Over this time, support both financially and practically for lone parents has improved dramatically.

I started out having to leave our house and going into a homeless families hostel (no family for support). Everything was sold...house (I had no job so couldn't take over the mortgage and he made it clear he wasn't going to help out - at all) ....all the furniture got sold as I had nowhere to store it, and finally the car went (he took it-and it was my car!!).

After the hostel the council gave me a nice little flat, and after a few years an even nicer little house (still living in it now). After a few months of being unemployed, I worked as a childminder which because of support for working the govt topped up my low income and I managed very well. I received help to improve myself academically, so much so I gained a degree with the O.U. I then trained at a "traditional" uni as a registered nurse.

Life now? bloody brilliant great job, decent income, good savings, nice home....great friends.

That's not to say life doesn't throw you the odd curve ball now and again...but that's life isn't it.

My message to you.....IT WILL ALL WORK OUT, IT WILL BE OK.

One step at a time. Get home, spend some time adjusting. Go to job centre, gingerbread and citizens advice to find out what help to get and where (things like getting your name down for a housing list etc) and of course getting your little one in at a local school.

Things will fall into place. One piece at a time.

pm me if you need any advice...I will help out if I can

Ty

Positive advise
Old May 23rd 2013, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

chrissyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Terrible situation to have been put in but Good luck with your new adventure as that's how you should see it

sending positive vibes x
Old Jul 7th 2013, 7:35 am
BE Newbie

Back2Blighty is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

Here's my update, 5 weeks in and counting.

Schooling - After an appeal hearing managed to get my daughter a school place in Year 7, only 2 weeks left til the summer holiday but at least she will have a glimpse of the UK secondary school system before the 6 weeks holiday.

Job hunting - secured three interviews now, nothing on par to what I have left in Canada but a job no less. Have been totally tied up in red tape known as Jobseekers Allowance, Housing Benefit and Child Tax Credit. They are tightening up on benefit claimants which I have no problem with but they don't know kind of what to do about me and my situation.

Flat rental - had to pay 6 months upfront, gulp, as have no credit history.
Credit card - not a chance!
Mobile phone contract - not a chance, my sister-in-law ended up taking it out for me.
Car Insurance - hey ho that was fun too, finally managed to get National Farmers Union to give me my 4 years Canadian no-claims but cost me double what 'Go Compare' website stated.
Traffic - everywhere.
Sea - lovely to be back on the coast, I can see the sea if I stand in the middle of my road.
The locals - have found them to be very accommodating, even a 'have a good day' or two from shop assistants! Oh and how I have missed the humour.
Food - eaten far too much, need to leave off the Cadbury's or else I will be the size of a house.

By no means am I home and dry, living with a collection of donated furniture, charity shop finds and a couple of IKEA specials but it's home for the two of us. There have been days when I have said 'what the hell have I done' but a glass of wine and a shoulder to cry on with a friend has helped.

I am getting there folks.

Back2Blighty
Old Jul 7th 2013, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you are making it and thanks for the update. I am sure you have said "what have I done" but in the end up I bet you get settled in and feel more secure in your homeland. Sorry about the 6 months up front. Hope you get housing allowance once they know you are staying and resident. God bless you and your family.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

brit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud of

Hi
Nice to hear an update, 5weeks in is not a long time but you have had the main things prepared.
You went the right time for your daughter to view the school prior to summer hols & sure she can make a few friends in the neighbourhood who go to the same school (may even be in the same class)
I hope the benefits situation will make decision in your favour but think you maybe able to get child tax credits not sure about the others.
The 6mnths rent is a deterent but hey you got a roof over your head as for mobile phone contract think could have bought your/a phone from canada get a UK chip & use top up vouchers.
I guess you can't beat the nfm/ncd car insurance (that will probably be the best quote you get)
I had to go through this all last year back in Canada until September to ship last bits if you need to pm me feel free, it is hard at first but like everything it gets easier, you have a good friend for support & that's better than having no1.. ..look at the bright side you can't beat good food & a good sense of humour (been getting gr8 weather lately too)
Best of luck & welcome back!
Old Jul 8th 2013, 9:10 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like thats a lot for 5 weeks. Well done.
that one of the jobs comes though. I say the one that pays best and you like
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 8:58 pm
BE Newbie

Back2Blighty is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving Back As a Single Parent

OMG, OMG, OMG I've got a job!!!!!!!

It's in the school where my daughter is studying as PA to the Principal, I start at the end of August. I am still in shock to be honest as the interview and associated tasks were very hard and there were 8 of us all interviewed and assessed on the day.

So folks I can tick that one off my list, onwards and upwards.

There are jobs out there you just have to keep applying.

Good luck everyone.

Back2Blighty
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Yet another inspirational thread!

The merits of advice from others who have gone through the same, on these forums, cannot be underestimated!

I have been a Single Mum (note the caps!!) for 50 years. my return is now in different circumstances to yours, but I have never lost my faith in the indomitable spirit of a woman under pressure.

(Hopefully for the fellas it's the same...balance in all things!).

Well done to you. Face the Sun-the shadows fall behind you.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Congratulations on the job! Good luck from here on in, brave lady!
Old Jul 24th 2013, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations. Happy for you.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 12:13 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Back2Blighty
OMG, OMG, OMG I've got a job!!!!!!!

It's in the school where my daughter is studying as PA to the Principal, I start at the end of August. I am still in shock to be honest as the interview and associated tasks were very hard and there were 8 of us all interviewed and assessed on the day.

So folks I can tick that one off my list, onwards and upwards.

There are jobs out there you just have to keep applying.

Good luck everyone.

Back2Blighty
How perfect can that be. Well done
Old Aug 7th 2013, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

amandajf1 is an unknown quantity at this point

just about to move back to the UK as a single mum with two kids who know nothing about the UK, having spent 9 yrs in South Africa - I can really relate to everything on here. Some great posts. And what brilliant news on the job front. Came here looking for advice and have realised that the advice doesn't have to just be about council tax and school etc, it's good to hear such motivating support.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

I missed the news about the job Back2Blighty, congratulations!!!!

I love it when we get updates on how things are going so thank you!

Amandajf1 - good luck with everything!
Old Aug 8th 2013, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

congratulations on the job!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.