Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

moveing to u.k from usa with a dog

Wikiposts

moveing to u.k from usa with a dog

Old Nov 25th 2010, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moveing to u.k from usa with a dog

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
No you cannot...the pet must be in a sealed kennel in the hold of the plane and as I said before only certain airlines on certain routes can be used.

Thank you. It sounds like a dreadful trip for them. Nevertheless, 8 hrs flight is worth it to stay with the family.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 7:01 am
Just Joined

cleo13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BackandForth
Ok, so I am looking at the airwaybill for the shipment, Gross Weight was 12.2kg and we paid $659 for the 'freight' she went cargo but it has to be in a special climate controlled part of cargo and not all flights have this and/or capacity so plenty of forward planning is needed. We also paid $488 in other charges, these I am not sure exactly what they were, they are not listed out. So total we paid to Continental was $1,147.

We also paid UK side, I dont have record of how much though, to great company called PBS www.pbs-int.co.uk These guys did the UK side, customs, quarantine checks and pass through etc. They were really helpful with advice etc on all stages. get a contact there and stick with them if possible, if you fly in on weekend make sure you get a direct line or cell of the person who is there that day and will be processing. Saves time when nobody is on switchboard.

One tip, when you board your flight in US, have them call down from the desk where they check your boarding pass to ensure the dog is on the plane. We did and it was comforting, not too sure what we would have done if she wasn't though!

Not all airlines form all airports to all UK airports have the capacity to carry animals so check out and book as far in advance as possible. If dog ends up having to go on a different flight to you going into different airport PBS can arrange courier to drive them to you wherever you are.

Hope this helps.

You say you are ok with quarantine, just make sure you are fully on top of this and the APHIS form etc.
thanks for the information i am on to it , no one will book a flight until 2 weeks before [BA] that is when our dog has all her papaers
Old Nov 28th 2010, 7:16 am
Just Joined

thanks for all the help im confused as to whitch airline to use BA OR virgin, i will take a close lok at both
Old Nov 28th 2010, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cleo13
thanks for all the help im confused as to whitch airline to use BA OR virgin, i will take a close lok at both
I read in some other threads about people with pets sailing over on the QM2. I think it takes seven days but a wonderful trip for both owner and pets.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

it may not be quite so wonderful for a dog to spend seven days cooped up in a kennel
Old Nov 28th 2010, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by john5655
it may not be quite so wonderful for a dog to spend seven days cooped up in a kennel
Apparently, they don't. You can see them for five visits a day and take them for walks on the deck.

Here are a few links that talk about it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...0&goto=newpost

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...3&goto=newpost
Old Nov 29th 2010, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sunrise, Florida, now S.C USA, soon to be back In Brum, UK
hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

Originally Posted by windsong
Apparently, they don't. You can see them for five visits a day and take them for walks on the deck.

Here are a few links that talk about it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...0&goto=newpost

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...3&goto=newpost
My sister took her dog on the QM2 and was so happy she did, he is not an easy dog (little bugger ) the kennel man was great with him... my sister was able to vist him and play with him up to 5 times a day for about 30- 45 minutes if she wanted... the dogs were all still let out and walked and fed and played wsith and petted... he is very fickle as I mentioned and i think the boat was better than trying to fly him as he would have had to be muzzled and not handled it well at all. They gave him a little cushion and even a "cunard' coat to wear. my sister nd mother were also able to board the boat first and exit first due to having a pet on board.. I am praying i can get a kennel space that one pens up next year as i have a great little dog and she deserves that more than being stuck on a plane cargo haul...
hope this helps anyone that is considering the boat.. go for it!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hayleyatfla
My sister took her dog on the QM2 and was so happy she did, he is not an easy dog (little bugger ) the kennel man was great with him... my sister was able to vist him and play with him up to 5 times a day for about 30- 45 minutes if she wanted... the dogs were all still let out and walked and fed and played wsith and petted... he is very fickle as I mentioned and i think the boat was better than trying to fly him as he would have had to be muzzled and not handled it well at all. They gave him a little cushion and even a "cunard' coat to wear. my sister nd mother were also able to board the boat first and exit first due to having a pet on board.. I am praying i can get a kennel space that one pens up next year as i have a great little dog and she deserves that more than being stuck on a plane cargo haul...
hope this helps anyone that is considering the boat.. go for it!
That's defo the only way I would take my dogs back to the UK.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 6:46 am
Just Joined

just been in touch with continental airlines , they were very helpfull , move animals all the time , they could even give me times and flight number for next year, and the price was half to what BA was quoeting
Old Dec 7th 2010, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

just been in touch with continental airlines , they were very helpfull , move animals all the time , they could even give me times and flight number for next year, and the price was half to what BA was quoeting
They still have to go in the hold of the plane though. And you also have to pay the DEFRA costs, I believe.

If you go on the QM2 it is not expensive at all - and no DEFRA costs. Plus, the pets get a lovely kennel and you can see/walk them five times a day.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

no DEFRA costs if arriving in UK by cruise ship? are you sure? how is this possible? the cat/dog still needs to clear customs and can't do so without the DEFRA vet clearance certificate

DEFRA costs are minimal in any case
Old Dec 7th 2010, 11:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

BA includes costs of customs clearance, etc., at the UK end, other airlines do not (e.g., Virgin). I'm guessing that at least partly explains the price difference. I would ask for more information on what is included in the price.

[This is based on my experience in 2006; it may be different now]
Old Dec 7th 2010, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by john5655
no DEFRA costs if arriving in UK by cruise ship? are you sure? how is this possible? the cat/dog still needs to clear customs and can't do so without the DEFRA vet clearance certificate

DEFRA costs are minimal in any case
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690803

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shippi...Back_to_the_UK

I am just getting ready to go to work and don't have time to look up the threads that was stated on but above are two links that I saved. I think that statement about no DEFRA was stated in one of these threads.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 1:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690803

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shippi...Back_to_the_UK

I am just getting ready to go to work and don't have time to look up the threads that was stated on but above are two links that I saved. I think that statement about no DEFRA was stated in one of these threads.
I can't see how one can possibly get around paying DEFRA. Cunard has probably included DEFRA costs in the price of your pet's fare.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 1:34 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I can't see how one can possibly get around paying DEFRA. Cunard has probably included DEFRA costs in the price of your pet's fare.
That's how I saw it, too - I recall someone saying recently that Cunard provides almost a "package deal", and take care of all the paperwork and processing at the UK end (I think the DEFRA people come on board to do it all), so I think it's probably a bit like BA including all the processing fees in their cargo fee for transporting pets to the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.