Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

moveing to u.k from usa with a dog

moveing to u.k from usa with a dog

Old Dec 8th 2010, 1:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moveing to u.k from usa with a dog

Originally Posted by dunroving
That's how I saw it, too - I recall someone saying recently that Cunard provides almost a "package deal", and take care of all the paperwork and processing at the UK end (I think the DEFRA people come on board to do it all), so I think it's probably a bit like BA including all the processing fees in their cargo fee for transporting pets to the UK.
There's no such thing as a free lunch.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:35 pm
Back home in Kent....

England1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really nice

I came back on QM2 in November 2010 and the only price I paid for the dog was $500 for the largest kennel otherwise it would of been just $300 for the smaller kennel. I booked 12 days before I sailed.

YOU DO NOT PAY AN ADDITIONAL AMOUNT FOR DEFRA - Defra do come on the boat at Southampton to check your paperwork for the dog. Cunard makes sure all your paperwork is correct BEFORE you get on the boat so you are guaranteed to be admitted the other end in Southampton.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

cleo13 is an unknown quantity at this point

we trried booking cunard but they werer booked up up to october2011and we are leaving end of may
Old Dec 8th 2010, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
That's how I saw it, too - I recall someone saying recently that Cunard provides almost a "package deal", and take care of all the paperwork and processing at the UK end (I think the DEFRA people come on board to do it all), so I think it's probably a bit like BA including all the processing fees in their cargo fee for transporting pets to the UK.
That might be. It very possible is included. I was merely reiterating what someone had told me but hadn't investigated it in depth at this point.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by England1971
I came back on QM2 in November 2010 and the only price I paid for the dog was $500 for the largest kennel otherwise it would of been just $300 for the smaller kennel. I booked 12 days before I sailed.

YOU DO NOT PAY AN ADDITIONAL AMOUNT FOR DEFRA - Defra do come on the boat at Southampton to check your paperwork for the dog. Cunard makes sure all your paperwork is correct BEFORE you get on the boat so you are guaranteed to be admitted the other end in Southampton.
Thank you, England. $500 is a pretty good price.

Next thing I am wondering is does it cost more than a normal vet to pay a DEFRA vet when you get their shots and get them microchipped. I believe I read that you need a DEFRA qualified vet to do it but I may have misunderstood.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 11:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Thank you, England. $500 is a pretty good price.

Next thing I am wondering is does it cost more than a normal vet to pay a DEFRA vet when you get their shots and get them microchipped. I believe I read that you need a DEFRA qualified vet to do it but I may have misunderstood.
If you use the search facility to search this forum you will find the many threads on this subject. Go to the blue bar at the top of this page...click on Search This Forum...go to Advanced Search and go from there.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If you use the search facility to search this forum you will find the many threads on this subject. Go to the blue bar at the top of this page...click on Search This Forum...go to Advanced Search and go from there.
Thank you
Old Dec 9th 2010, 12:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you
Give me a shout if you need any help finding the threads.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Give me a shout if you need any help finding the threads.
Thank you, Jersey. I will do that.

I have learned if I click on someones ID, I can see all their posts, so if I know who posted something, I can find it that way.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 1:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you, Jersey. I will do that.

I have learned if I click on someones ID, I can see all their posts, so if I know who posted something, I can find it that way.

Thanks again.
You can also see the threads they've opened...that sometimes helps to narrow it down a little.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

You can also see the threads they've opened...that sometimes helps to narrow it down a little.
How do you do that? I just looked a the options and I don't see that one
Old Dec 9th 2010, 1:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

How do you do that? I just looked a the options and I don't see that one
Click on the Username...then View Public Profile. On the left you will see links to past posts and threads. On the right hand side you will see links to PM and email that person...unless they've disabled the function.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Click on the Username...then View Public Profile. On the left you will see links to past posts and threads. On the right hand side you will see links to PM and email that person...unless they've disabled the function.
Thank you. Now I see it. That will be very useful.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Ayala123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BackandForth
Have you worked out how to avoid quarantine yet also? It can be done but takes 6 months at least to sort out. Post back, if not I can tell you how. Its a lot of work but worth it. Our dog was home with us same day we landed.
How do you avoid quarantine? Is the US included in the PETS scheme or something? I am moving back from Israel in June, my dog is micro-chipped and vaccinated against rabies but the PETS scheme doesn't apply - I can't get an email reply from DEFRA and Israel doesn't even seem to be on their 'authorised routes' list.

If I can avoid quarantine I would bring her with me, otherwise I have to find her a good home which is a horrible thing to have to do. Is there any way round it other than stopping off in Europe for 6 mths first?

Ayala
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ayala123
How do you avoid quarantine? Is the US included in the PETS scheme or something? I am moving back from Israel in June, my dog is micro-chipped and vaccinated against rabies but the PETS scheme doesn't apply - I can't get an email reply from DEFRA and Israel doesn't even seem to be on their 'authorised routes' list.

If I can avoid quarantine I would bring her with me, otherwise I have to find her a good home which is a horrible thing to have to do. Is there any way round it other than stopping off in Europe for 6 mths first?

Ayala
You do the "quarantine" in the country from which you are departing instead. This means the pets get to live at home and merely get checked by a vet. They have to have a special microchip, though. They get their rabies vaccine and then their blood is tested to make sure it's okay and you are all set.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690803

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shippi...Back_to_the_UK

Paperwork is all completed before departure. Pets get of the ship or plane (with you) and go straight to their new home )

Last edited by windsong; Dec 11th 2010 at 8:14 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.