Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

moveing to u.k from usa with a dog

moveing to u.k from usa with a dog

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 10:45 am
Just Joined

melliset has a brilliant futuremelliset has a brilliant futuremelliset has a brilliant futuremelliset has a brilliant futuremelliset has a brilliant futuremelliset has a brilliant future
Default Re: moveing to u.k from usa with a dog

I think you have to pay the money..
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sunrise, Florida, now S.C USA, soon to be back In Brum, UK
hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

Arghhhh.... so stressed, I had planned on taking the QM2 over next year for the sake of my 10lb little dog, but they ihave the kennels booked for the entire of 2001.... the flying seems like so much more of a hassel and i am worried about my poor dog since they cant guarantee "pets will live" nice... I cant stay in the U.S any longer i must get out of here by next summer i am so miserable i feel like everything i am doing to get out is screwing me around... has anyone else flown their small dog? just wondering as she is my life..

thanks...
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

if flying a small dog is similar to flying a large dog, then please do not worry

my dog flew from Hong Kong, this meant four hours in the cage from time of check-in at the cargo terminal, a 12 hour flight, and about two hours to deplane and reach the sanctuary of the DEFRA animal handling centre where she was allowed out of the cage and put into a large enclosure, fed and watered

end result?

no change, a happy dog
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 9:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hayleyatfla
Arghhhh.... so stressed, I had planned on taking the QM2 over next year for the sake of my 10lb little dog, but they ihave the kennels booked for the entire of 2001.... the flying seems like so much more of a hassel and i am worried about my poor dog since they cant guarantee "pets will live" nice... I cant stay in the U.S any longer i must get out of here by next summer i am so miserable i feel like everything i am doing to get out is screwing me around... has anyone else flown their small dog? just wondering as she is my life..

thanks...
Keep trying Cunard...they do get cancellations.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 10:01 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

thanks...
We flew a cat to the US 18 yrs ago, and flew a different one back this year, it's is not really a hassle, probably no more than the check-in for a ship (which I have not done), all the same paperwork, just follow the steps, sure, its a out-of-box (hopefully not out of crate) experience, but our cat made it through ok with no after effects.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

thanks...
I really wouldn't worry about flying your dog as long as he/she is healthy. We have now shipped 3 dogs transatlantic is various directions, all without issue.
The only thing to be aware of is that you absolutely must not sedate your dog in any way, no matter how agiated that you think they might get
Old Nov 24th 2010, 8:09 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Posidrive
I really wouldn't worry about flying your dog as long as he/she is healthy. We have now shipped 3 dogs transatlantic is various directions, all without issue.
The only thing to be aware of is that you absolutely must not sedate your dog in any way, no matter how agiated that you think they might get
Our US vet gave a health inspection as release for flying when we went in for the flea / tick treatment 48-24 hrs before the flight. Of course, this is too late to learn there is a problem, but if your pet is healthy anyway it is a final reassurance as the final count down begins.

Those last few days were great feeling, all the work behind us, the final arrangements dropping into place, it was truly like being on the launch pad, clock ticking, calm excitement knowing we had done it all and that anything not done was too late, a few 'last time we will....', definitely a 10...9....8.... count down experience.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

teresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to all

This seems excessive we flew with BA two years ago, two golden retrievers in the large crates total cost $3400 for both dogs Chicago to Heathrow.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cleo13
we have started her quarentine, here,how did you do the process at the airport , did you just book a ticket for your dog ,did you book it as cargo?
Have you checked DEFRA for all their information? You should also call the airlines, they will tell you the procedure you need to follow.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cleo13
we have started her quarentine, here,how did you do the process at the airport , did you just book a ticket for your dog ,did you book it as cargo?
How can you start quarantine for your dog before you've got to the UK?
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sunrise, Florida, now S.C USA, soon to be back In Brum, UK
hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How can you start quarantine for your dog before you've got to the UK?
they have to get micro-chipped then 21 days later they have a special rabies titer, not to be confused with a regular rabies shot, they test blood, plasma, other stuff and you have to keep your dog in the country for 6 months until they clear these tests you dont have to send them to quarantine anymore you do it before you leave just following the UK "PETS" defra plan... i can find you a link if u need it (:
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

they have to get micro-chipped then 21 days later they have a special rabies titer, not to be confused with a regular rabies shot, they test blood, plasma, other stuff and you have to keep your dog in the country for 6 months until they clear these tests you dont have to send them to quarantine anymore you do it before you leave just following the UK "PETS" defra plan... i can find you a link if u need it (:
I know but that's not starting quarantine...the whole point of the DEFRA process is to avoid quarantine. Thank you but I am familiar with most of the threads re DEFRA.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 24th 2010 at 10:47 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
We flew a cat to the US 18 yrs ago, and flew a different one back this year, it's is not really a hassle, probably no more than the check-in for a ship (which I have not done), all the same paperwork, just follow the steps, sure, its a out-of-box (hopefully not out of crate) experience, but our cat made it through ok with no after effects.
If the pet is small, can you take them in the passenger cabin with you? I have done that within the U.S. I don't know if you can do it on an international flight.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I know but that's not starting quarantine...the whole point of the DEFRA process is to avoid quarantine. Thank you but I am familiar with most of the threads re DEFRA.
Someone was kind enough to post this link for me yesterday - the DEFRA link. Very helpful:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shippi...Back_to_the_UK
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by windsong
If the pet is small, can you take them in the passenger cabin with you? I have done that within the U.S. I don't know if you can do it on an international flight.
No you cannot...the pet must be in a sealed kennel in the hold of the plane and as I said before only certain airlines on certain routes can be used.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.