More PETs stuff

Old Jun 29th 2006, 3:31 pm
  #31  
Anglophile Scientist
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Posts: 28
bassman578 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: More PETs stuff

Originally Posted by jezebel
That's wonderful about Delta and your cat in the cabin ! Does that include the transatlantic flight or just the domestic one ?
jezebel,
true about the unnecessary waiting time. i took a few immunology classes back then and if you're vaccinated ok, your titer is sufficient anytime before and after your booster vaccination ... just wanted to boost the cat's immune response a little to have a fantastic titer

50$ is the fee to take the cat in-cabin from CLE to belgium or germany. we'll be going thru belgium before hitting the UK a few weeks after that. it looks the easiest, least time-consuming way to get the cat from belgium to the UK is the Eurotunnel (40-something euros one-way, nearly no waiting time).
bassman578 is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2006, 3:40 pm
  #32  
Forum Regular
 
jezebel's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 40
jezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant future
Default Re: More PETs stuff

Originally Posted by bassman578
jezebel,
true about the unnecessary waiting time. i took a few immunology classes back then and if you're vaccinated ok, your titer is sufficient anytime before and after your booster vaccination ... just wanted to boost the cat's immune response a little to have a fantastic titer

50$ is the fee to take the cat in-cabin from CLE to belgium or germany. we'll be going thru belgium before hitting the UK a few weeks after that. it looks the easiest, least time-consuming way to get the cat from belgium to the UK is the Eurotunnel (40-something euros one-way, nearly no waiting time).
That's bloody amazing . I hope you realise from reading on here these kind of stories don't happen often. Its normally the scenario Dunroving is going through. Doublecheck.....doublecheck again to be sure Delta have their policy correct for a long haul flight, I'm sure you have already but its horrid when you speak to another employee and they have different ideas on their policies and say the opposite !
When are you planning to leave...around six months !!?
jezebel is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2006, 3:45 pm
  #33  
Anglophile Scientist
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Posts: 28
bassman578 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: More PETs stuff

Originally Posted by jezebel
That's bloody amazing . I hope you realise from reading on here these kind of stories don't happen often. Its normally the scenario Dunroving is going through. Doublecheck.....doublecheck again to be sure Delta have their policy correct for a long haul flight, I'm sure you have already but its horrid when you speak to another employee and they have different ideas on their policies and say the opposite !
When are you planning to leave...around six months !!?
yeah, i'll be doublechecking everything for sure. i asked first to have their policy for flights to belgium and then insisted on checking the policy for germany. unless the person lied, they're the same. but i'll doublecheck ... you can't be paranoid enough with these people.
yeah, we previewed on taking the plane on december 22nd - christmas time. always crazy, especially at cleveland hopkins airport where they cancel flights as soon as one snow flake falls down (especially united). we hope that we make it ok. we plan on taking our buddy to the UK sometime in january.
bassman578 is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2006, 4:17 pm
  #34  
Forum Regular
 
jezebel's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 40
jezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant future
Default Re: More PETs stuff

Originally Posted by bassman578
yeah, i'll be doublechecking everything for sure. i asked first to have their policy for flights to belgium and then insisted on checking the policy for germany. unless the person lied, they're the same. but i'll doublecheck ... you can't be paranoid enough with these people.
yeah, we previewed on taking the plane on december 22nd - christmas time. always crazy, especially at cleveland hopkins airport where they cancel flights as soon as one snow flake falls down (especially united). we hope that we make it ok. we plan on taking our buddy to the UK sometime in january.
You'll have a fantastic Christmas in Europe. This is the thought that got my husband and I through our miserable last Christmas !!!! Can't wait...I'm as excited going home as I was leaving !!

Good luck with your blood tests results, we got ours back after 17 days from having the blood drawn.
jezebel is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2006, 4:24 pm
  #35  
Anglophile Scientist
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Posts: 28
bassman578 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: More PETs stuff

Originally Posted by jezebel
You'll have a fantastic Christmas in Europe. This is the thought that got my husband and I through our miserable last Christmas !!!! Can't wait...I'm as excited going home as I was leaving !!

Good luck with your blood tests results, we got ours back after 17 days from having the blood drawn.
thanks for your kind wishes. we returned home for christmas two years ago and the journey was a near-disaster! we wanted to leave on dec 23rd, our previewed flight was cancelled and at the last second, we got a seat on the previous flight, the last one going out of cleveland for that day (at 2pm). then in newark, we had to run like rabbits from gate 20-something to gate 200-something to catch the plane to brussels and we got in at the last minute - sick as dogs, our lungs had a hard time and we ended up coughing a little blood (those lungs don't like taking planes and then running in badly A/Cd air). well well everybody's had that kind of story ... i can't tell you how i savoured my red wine on the plane that night. crazycrazycrazy... the world isn't made for nomads.

ah yeah before i forget:

united charges 85$ one-way for an in-cabin cat to belgium or germany. health certificate needed. allow 30 additional minutes for check-in. that's it.

so: delta and united look great. forget continental ... scammers.
bassman578 is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2006, 4:24 pm
  #36  
Ping-ponger
Thread Starter
 
dunroving's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Dreich Alba
Posts: 11,964
dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More PETs stuff

Originally Posted by dunroving
Thanks, Scout. I'll probably call DEFRA tomorrow while the shippers are here to see if the Kansas lab can fax them the results (Kansas lab people didn't seem to think that would be unusual).

Right now I have my fingers crossed because I forgot to call and book Suzy's flight yesterday! I realized while I was walking her last thing last night (actually, it was 1 a.m. this morning) and was kicking myself. I had called Tuesday to book her (because BA had told me "14 days before"), but the guy at the PETs number (who does the booking) said no, it was 13 days before. So, I was up at 6 a.m. yesterday morning and just got on with my list for that day (which was mostly packing, packing, packing), completely forgetting the most important thing (that I had on my list for the previous day).

I can't believe it - I am usually so organized especially with such important stuff. I think becaseu I had called Tuesday, somehow in my mind I had checked it off the list. That's the problem with doing everything by yourself - there's no-one to say "Oh, did you do xxxx yet today?"

Keep your fingers crossed about 2 pm UK time (that's when they open today).
Phew! Called at 9:00 prompt and spoke with a very nice woman (Mary) and there was a space on my flight for Suzy.

FYI, for those of you shipping pets via the Pet Travel Scheme ("pet passort"), the number to call in the US to book your pet on the flight is 1-888-578-4806. Apparently, you can't do this until 13 days before the flight although I'm sure they'd be fine with you calling them earlier just to ask about procedures.
dunroving is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2006, 4:33 pm
  #37  
Anglophile Scientist
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Posts: 28
bassman578 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: More PETs stuff

Originally Posted by dunroving
Phew! Called at 9:00 prompt and spoke with a very nice woman (Mary) and there was a space on my flight for Suzy.

FYI, for those of you shipping pets via the Pet Travel Scheme ("pet passort"), the number to call in the US to book your pet on the flight is 1-888-578-4806. Apparently, you can't do this until 13 days before the flight although I'm sure they'd be fine with you calling them earlier just to ask about procedures.
glad it worked out. what's that number for?
bassman578 is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2006, 4:38 pm
  #38  
Ping-ponger
Thread Starter
 
dunroving's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Dreich Alba
Posts: 11,964
dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More PETs stuff

Originally Posted by bassman578
glad it worked out. what's that number for?
That is the number you call when you are ready to book your animal on the flight. BA Cargo gave it to me.

Double phew! USDA authorization of the 3rd country cert came via FedEx today. Now all I have to do is sort out the "lost blood titer results" problem.
dunroving is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2006, 5:00 pm
  #39  
Anglophile Scientist
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Posts: 28
bassman578 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: More PETs stuff

Originally Posted by dunroving
That is the number you call when you are ready to book your animal on the flight. BA Cargo gave it to me.

Double phew! USDA authorization of the 3rd country cert came via FedEx today. Now all I have to do is sort out the "lost blood titer results" problem.
oh alright. thanks and good luck!
bassman578 is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2006, 6:45 pm
  #40  
BE Forum Addict
 
Scout's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 1,216
Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More PETs stuff

Originally Posted by dunroving
That is the number you call when you are ready to book your animal on the flight. BA Cargo gave it to me.

Double phew! USDA authorization of the 3rd country cert came via FedEx today. Now all I have to do is sort out the "lost blood titer results" problem.
Glad to hear you could book her. Didn't I tell you it was stressful? I feel for you going through all this. Trying to coordinate it all calls for several beers once you are through with it all for sure.
Scout is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2006, 7:54 pm
  #41  
Forum Regular
 
jezebel's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 40
jezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant future
Default Re: More PETs stuff

Originally Posted by dunroving
Phew! Called at 9:00 prompt and spoke with a very nice woman (Mary) and there was a space on my flight for Suzy.

FYI, for those of you shipping pets via the Pet Travel Scheme ("pet passort"), the number to call in the US to book your pet on the flight is 1-888-578-4806. Apparently, you can't do this until 13 days before the flight although I'm sure they'd be fine with you calling them earlier just to ask about procedures.
Congratulations..... Not long to go now ! Who did you use in the end for your shipping ?
jezebel is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:09 pm
  #42  
Ping-ponger
Thread Starter
 
dunroving's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Dreich Alba
Posts: 11,964
dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More PETs stuff

Originally Posted by jezebel
Congratulations..... Not long to go now ! Who did you use in the end for your shipping ?
Rinkens. So far they have been good (Christoph at Rinken's is very thorough and obviously works evenings b/c he replies to my emails at all times). But of course all these companies are conglomerates of local businesses and I'm holding judgement on the local company (Exodus) until tomorrow. So far I've not been too impressed but I believe in giving someone a chance before you say they are clueless.
dunroving is offline  
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:58 pm
  #43  
Forum Regular
 
jezebel's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 40
jezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant future
Default Re: More PETs stuff

Originally Posted by dunroving
Rinkens. So far they have been good (Christoph at Rinken's is very thorough and obviously works evenings b/c he replies to my emails at all times). But of course all these companies are conglomerates of local businesses and I'm holding judgement on the local company (Exodus) until tomorrow. So far I've not been too impressed but I believe in giving someone a chance before you say they are clueless.
We went with rinkens in the end (Wheatons extra storage charges etc were scandalous !). They used a firm from Houston to pack and load, they turned up 2 hours late !! But they did their best to get everything on and not waste any space, we brought them pizzas to keep them going, they left 8pm that night to drive to Houston to put it in storage. So far so good.....but we don't get to see our belongings again until November time when we've brought our house ! Fingers crossed not too many breakages
jezebel is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2006, 1:28 pm
  #44  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Back with the hobbits
Posts: 376
Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all
Default Re: More PETs stuff

Just wanted to wish you and Suzy all the best with the move Dunroving we have our cat to get back (via DC) in October so I have been reading your posts with interest. Thanks for all your input. Lizzi
Lizzi is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.