More PETs stuff

Old Jun 26th 2006, 9:38 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More PETs stuff

Originally Posted by bassman578
hey guys,
first post here. luxembourger living in the US and emigrating to the UK in september. i must say that this forum is extremely useful. we're in the process of getting the PETS documentation and already manymanymany thanks to dunroving for pointing out all the things that can go wrong (and there's a lot of them).
so, i've microchipped our cat last week. he's already vaccinated against rabies but apparently needs a new vaccination round since he got his vaccine BEFORE having been microchipped. alright, we've already sent a sample to Kansas for nothing then. i'm going to get him vaccined on wednesday (PureVax Rabies, Merial). does anybody know 1) if that vaccine is OK and 2) when we can draw blood for sending a sample to kansas? i'm going to write DEFRA about this too.

again, thank you so much for all the good advice.

oh and before i forget: is there any means to getting the certificate endorsed by the USDA vet without having to drive there? could we use Fedex/UPS with a return envelope to get it there and back?

ralph.
Hi Ralph:

Yes, Merial should be OK - my dog was vaccinatd with Merial Imrab 3.

Not sure exactly, but my dog had the blood draw about 5 weeks post-vaccine. I THINK (not sure) you are supposed to wait at least 2 weeks.

And yes, you can FedEx and include a return airbill. I'm just on my way to do that now so I'll send another reply if there is any problem.

I just spoke with the supervisor at the Kansas lab and the ORIGINAL results should have a "sticker" at the bottom (he kept saying "sticker". What he meant was the results are on a sticky label).

In my case then, either (a) the lab screwed up and didn't send the original, (b) the original got lost in the mail, or (c) my vet lost the original. Lesson learned - make sure you get the original results (with a "sticker" on the bottom) and don't let your vet keep them. Also, if the "original" has no sticker, call the lab and give the supervisor some sh*t. Don't wait until you are just about to leave (like me).
Old Jun 26th 2006, 9:53 pm
Anglophile Scientist

bassman578 is an unknown quantity at this point

well, sounds like a little nightmare. many thanks for your assistance!

for information only: we'll be flying first to brussels and leave our buddy with my parents-in-law for a little while before taking him to britain. i'm currently going through continental's petsafe cargo program and, if anybody cares, post our progress.

first finding: continental does not allow in-cabin travel from cleveland to brussels... calling cargo...

Last edited by bassman578; Jun 26th 2006 at 10:03 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 10:47 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

well, sounds like a little nightmare. many thanks for your assistance!

for information only: we'll be flying first to brussels and leave our buddy with my parents-in-law for a little while before taking him to britain. i'm currently going through continental's petsafe cargo program and, if anybody cares, post our progress.

first finding: continental does not allow in-cabin travel from cleveland to brussels... calling cargo...
Get ready for your first shock - the cost of shipping a dog cargo.

fedEx thing worked fine. You can't prepay the return shipping, so you either have to include a check made out to FedEx, or put a CC number on the airbill (no way, man!)
Old Jun 27th 2006, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

jezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dunroving
Get ready for your first shock - the cost of shipping a dog cargo.

fedEx thing worked fine. You can't prepay the return shipping, so you either have to include a check made out to FedEx, or put a CC number on the airbill (no way, man!)

Yipee ! I got a ''sticker'' on all three.....what a relief....I could feel my bum tightening up at the thought of not have the original !

Isn't the $76 crazy for just a signature ??? Even more crazy is that for my other two cats its just $4.25 each....huh ?
Old Jun 27th 2006, 6:48 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by jezebel
Yipee ! I got a ''sticker'' on all three.....what a relief....I could feel my bum tightening up at the thought of not have the original !

Isn't the $76 crazy for just a signature ??? Even more crazy is that for my other two cats its just $4.25 each....huh ?
I have stopped adding it all up - I mean FedEx adds another $35 (of course, better that than wasting a day driving there and back). And the vet charges an arm and a leg just to say hello.

She cost me about $5,000 last time, but then most of that was the 6 month quarantine fees - and I'm just glad she won't have to do that again.

I talked with the Kansas lab supervisor and he blithely said "Oh we get calls from the UK all the time, it won't be a problem." Of course, he won't have to wait around the Animal Reception Center for 6 hours waiting for the lab to open up so someone can actually answer the phone.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

jezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant futurejezebel has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dunroving
I have stopped adding it all up - I mean FedEx adds another $35 (of course, better that than wasting a day driving there and back). And the vet charges an arm and a leg just to say hello.

She cost me about $5,000 last time, but then most of that was the 6 month quarantine fees - and I'm just glad she won't have to do that again.

I talked with the Kansas lab supervisor and he blithely said "Oh we get calls from the UK all the time, it won't be a problem." Of course, he won't have to wait around the Animal Reception Center for 6 hours waiting for the lab to open up so someone can actually answer the phone.
We get it all checked whilst we are still in the US, before we get on QM2 (at the terminal), so if any calls need to be made or f**k-up's need to be corrected it should make it simpler than hanging around a British airport, the early hours of the morning, waiting for Defra to get their head out of their bums, whilst having a God complex

That all said, I'm sure EVERYTHING will go smoothly for you Dunroving. It's just the thought of some official taking your baby away from you on some stupid misunderstanding (ie. date put the US way on a form!) that makes us ALL edgy and nervous. Its the same as going through passport control.....I always start sweating and get tense....why ??? No idea ! As too, when you see a copper.....inside you're thinking ''I didn't do it !"

Just think how many posts have been written on here from expats who have had their pets taken into quarantine after going through the PETS scheme ? None I think, maybe 48hrs because of a tick/tapeworm bulls-up, that's it.

In six months time you'll be fretting over which route to take your dog for a walk ! There, I've even made myself feel calmer.....and breath !
Old Jun 27th 2006, 10:17 pm
Anglophile Scientist

Wellwell, things are becoming clearer here...

Continental PetSafe: board pet 2h before flight. bring kennel with 3 inches of airspace between cat and kennel top, a towel and frozen water in pierced bottles. no food. bring +-550$ plus 64 cents / kg fuel surcharge (no kidding; our cat is 15.4 pounds...). bring health certificate (issued max 48h before boarding - how am I getting it endorsed 48h before the flight by the APHIS vet??? i'll need to drive to Columbus - ack!) and 2 belgian forms that need to be faxed and accepted in Belgium before boarding.

Vet certificate: cat needs a new vaccination round after microchipping even though its vaccination is still good - argh. will be done tomorrow. fortunately i was able to get the blood test in kansas cancelled before they charged my CC! looks like they're decent people. after vaccination, new blood test, yippie.

funfunfun...

hope everything turns out well for you, dunroving.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Wellwell, things are becoming clearer here...

Continental PetSafe: board pet 2h before flight. bring kennel with 3 inches of airspace between cat and kennel top, a towel and frozen water in pierced bottles. no food. bring +-550$ plus 64 cents / kg fuel surcharge (no kidding; our cat is 15.4 pounds...). bring health certificate (issued max 48h before boarding - how am I getting it endorsed 48h before the flight by the APHIS vet??? i'll need to drive to Columbus - ack!) and 2 belgian forms that need to be faxed and accepted in Belgium before boarding.

Vet certificate: cat needs a new vaccination round after microchipping even though its vaccination is still good - argh. will be done tomorrow. fortunately i was able to get the blood test in kansas cancelled before they charged my CC! looks like they're decent people. after vaccination, new blood test, yippie.

funfunfun...

hope everything turns out well for you, dunroving.
Dear Bassman578
Your health certificate for travel can be done by your local vet (just to say your pet has been checked and is healthy to travel). Its seperate from your PETS scheme third country certificate which needs to be endorsed by the USDA Federal vet no sooner than four months before travel (its only good for four months).

I'm 99% sure I'm correct in this .....so if I'm wrong someone please jump in and correct me ASAP .
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:40 pm
Anglophile Scientist

Originally Posted by jezebel
Dear Bassman578
Your health certificate for travel can be done by your local vet (just to say your pet has been checked and is healthy to travel). Its seperate from your PETS scheme third country certificate which needs to be endorsed by the USDA Federal vet no sooner than four months before travel (its only good for four months).

I'm 99% sure I'm correct in this .....so if I'm wrong someone please jump in and correct me ASAP .
jezebel,
something's fishy about the information that i've got from the belgian embassy. i've written to the belgian veterinary inspection to be sure. i think you're right.

on the other hand, delta is willing to let our cat into the cabin (CLE-ATL-BRU) for 50$ supposed that its documentation is OK. now that's a deal compared to continental! i'll also ask united for their policies...
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

I know for a fact that you have to have the Original Dunroving because we double checked that fact with DEFRA before we left.

Even with no problems, expect to hang out at the Animal Reception Center for about 4 hours anyway. That's how long it took us at Gatwick and we were told that was 'normal'.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:38 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Scout
I know for a fact that you have to have the Original Dunroving because we double checked that fact with DEFRA before we left.

Even with no problems, expect to hang out at the Animal Reception Center for about 4 hours anyway. That's how long it took us at Gatwick and we were told that was 'normal'.
Thanks, Scout. I'll probably call DEFRA tomorrow while the shippers are here to see if the Kansas lab can fax them the results (Kansas lab people didn't seem to think that would be unusual).

Right now I have my fingers crossed because I forgot to call and book Suzy's flight yesterday! I realized while I was walking her last thing last night (actually, it was 1 a.m. this morning) and was kicking myself. I had called Tuesday to book her (because BA had told me "14 days before"), but the guy at the PETs number (who does the booking) said no, it was 13 days before. So, I was up at 6 a.m. yesterday morning and just got on with my list for that day (which was mostly packing, packing, packing), completely forgetting the most important thing (that I had on my list for the previous day).

I can't believe it - I am usually so organized especially with such important stuff. I think becaseu I had called Tuesday, somehow in my mind I had checked it off the list. That's the problem with doing everything by yourself - there's no-one to say "Oh, did you do xxxx yet today?"

Keep your fingers crossed about 2 pm UK time (that's when they open today).
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

speissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nice

hey guys,
(...) and 2) when we can draw blood for sending a sample to kansas? i'm going to write DEFRA about this too. (...)
ralph.
Hi Ralph,

I can't comment on your other questions, as I had my cat prepared in Germany for the move to Australia. But in regards to the blood test after the rabies vacc I know that the blood test can't be done until after 4 weeks after the vacc has been performed. I would be very surprised, if it was any different in US, as I understand this rabies vacc / blood test process is a standard one whereever it is carried out.

Anyway, good luck with your move

Cheers,
Sonja
Old Jun 29th 2006, 1:00 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by speissi
Hi Ralph,

I can't comment on your other questions, as I had my cat prepared in Germany for the move to Australia. But in regards to the blood test after the rabies vacc I know that the blood test can't be done until after 4 weeks after the vacc has been performed. I would be very surprised, if it was any different in US, as I understand this rabies vacc / blood test process is a standard one whereever it is carried out.

Anyway, good luck with your move

Cheers,
Sonja
DEFRA's prcedures pages are not specific on this, however, I did find the following:

21 day wait
For EU countries where more stringent entry requirements do not apply, the EU has introduced a wait of 21 days from the date of the first rabies vaccination before a pet can enter those EU countries. However, if the vaccine manufacturer’s data sheet requires more than one vaccination to complete the primary vaccination protocol, the 21 day wait applies from the date of the final vaccination of that protocol. Your vet will advise you further.

Booster vaccinations are valid for entry from the date given provided they are given on time (according to the instructions in the vaccine manufacturer’s data sheet where the previous vaccination was given).

Since it may take time for EU Member States to adopt this change into their import legislation, pet owners are advised to contact the authorities of the relevant EU country to confirm the appropriate timing of the rabies vaccination under their current import regulations.

- so I wonder if 21 days is the minimum between a rabies shot and the test?
Old Jun 29th 2006, 2:08 pm
Anglophile Scientist

hi guys,
this is what DEFRA replied to my question re waiting time between vaccination and blood test:

Good Morning

It is advisable to allow 30 days from the date the vaccination was given however this is not a legal requirement.
Vets can suggest a suitable time to arrange for the blood test to be taken after it has been vaccinated.

Regards

Jacqui Currie
Pets Helpline

since there's no legal requirement, i discussed with my vet and we thought that giving the vaccine 1 week to boost the immune response before taking the blood sample would be a good idea to save some time.

ralph.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

hi guys,
this is what DEFRA replied to my question re waiting time between vaccination and blood test:

Good Morning

It is advisable to allow 30 days from the date the vaccination was given however this is not a legal requirement.
Vets can suggest a suitable time to arrange for the blood test to be taken after it has been vaccinated.

Regards

Jacqui Currie
Pets Helpline

since there's no legal requirement, i discussed with my vet and we thought that giving the vaccine 1 week to boost the immune response before taking the blood sample would be a good idea to save some time.

ralph.
Our pets had had their rabies booster as per normal Aug 05, we decided to return to the UK in Jan 06 and started the procedure for PETS, staring with a microchip and same day, rabies shot again. Because of this our vet said not to bother waiting four weeks because there's rabies vaccine already there. We waited 3 weeks. All I'm saying is.....if your pet already has had the vaccine in his/her system then noway do you have to wait the full 3-4 weeks.

That's wonderful about Delta and your cat in the cabin ! Does that include the transatlantic flight or just the domestic one ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.