Brigg, Barton Upon Humber

Old May 21st 2006, 11:40 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brigg, Barton Upon Humber

Can anyone who knows these areas (particularly Barton) tell me if they would be OK places to raise a large family? I have work in Scunthorpe (good job) and am looking at buying a house in Barton. Brigg looks OK too....not sure I would live in Sunny Scunny though! The Dam Rd area of Barton is where the house I am looking at is. My major concern is schools and air quality - I have a severely asthmatic child so bad air beyond the normal would be a problem. Thanks!
Old May 22nd 2006, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

karlos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brigg, Barton Upon Humber

Originally Posted by dingbat
Can anyone who knows these areas (particularly Barton) tell me if they would be OK places to raise a large family? I have work in Scunthorpe (good job) and am looking at buying a house in Barton. Brigg looks OK too....not sure I would live in Sunny Scunny though! The Dam Rd area of Barton is where the house I am looking at is. My major concern is schools and air quality - I have a severely asthmatic child so bad air beyond the normal would be a problem. Thanks!
I grew up in Barton. Air quality in the town in much better than it was when the fertilizer factory was there. However, Dam Road is very close to the industrial part of the town. You are also very close to the approach road for the humber bridge. If it was me I would consider elsewhere in the town. It as a very old place (get's a mention in the doonsday book) and there are some nice old houses. You may also wish to consider some of the nearby villages such as Saxby and Worlaby. Baysgarth is the secondary school in Barton. It is a fairly large school and I'm told it has improved it's results over recent years.

I hope this info helps. If you have any specific questions please let me know.

Cheers
Karlos
Old May 22nd 2006, 9:38 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karlos
I grew up in Barton. Air quality in the town in much better than it was when the fertilizer factory was there. However, Dam Road is very close to the industrial part of the town. You are also very close to the approach road for the humber bridge. If it was me I would consider elsewhere in the town. It as a very old place (get's a mention in the doonsday book) and there are some nice old houses. You may also wish to consider some of the nearby villages such as Saxby and Worlaby. Baysgarth is the secondary school in Barton. It is a fairly large school and I'm told it has improved it's results over recent years.

I hope this info helps. If you have any specific questions please let me know.

Cheers
Karlos
Many thanks. I had a feeling it was right on the A15, but maps can be deceptive! I can't find houses for sale in either Saxby or Worlaby, but if you know of any other decent places within a reasonable commute of Scunny in any direction, I would be eternally grateful. I have never lived up North so this will be an experience for me. At least I am used to the rain.
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

britnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to behold

Many thanks. I had a feeling it was right on the A15, but maps can be deceptive! I can't find houses for sale in either Saxby or Worlaby, but if you know of any other decent places within a reasonable commute of Scunny in any direction, I would be eternally grateful. I have never lived up North so this will be an experience for me. At least I am used to the rain.
Hi!
I've lived in Grimsby since I was 7. It's a better place than the name suggests! Only 25-30 minutes from Scunthorpe down the A180.
We have a house for sale if you're interested! It's not a bad house! I would stay here, but hubby needs to be in USA!
Failing you being interested in my house, there are others around here - the prices are quite reasonable.
Did I mention I have a house for sale?! Open to negotiation!!!!
Good luck with the whole move thing
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

karlos is an unknown quantity at this point

No probs. Barrow, Horkstow and Saxby are all fairly nice villlages. Although they don't have huge populations so I'm not sure about the availability of property. I would definitly stay clear of Scunthorpe. It is a real Northern working town! Buton Upon Stather is also an option. There are also some nice places just across the bridge (Swanland, Willerby, Kirk Ella), but you've got the toll every day (which I think is about £2.50 each way).
Good luck.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 7:42 pm
Banned

eliz has much to be proud ofeliz has much to be proud ofeliz has much to be proud ofeliz has much to be proud ofeliz has much to be proud ofeliz has much to be proud ofeliz has much to be proud ofeliz has much to be proud ofeliz has much to be proud ofeliz has much to be proud ofeliz has much to be proud of

Hi
Dont be tempted to buy a house in Hull or you will regret it. Schools and air quality . Where ever you live in theses areas smaller villages are always better for schools.

good luck I wouldnt go back there for love nor money!
Now in BC Canada
Old Jul 1st 2006, 2:00 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britnyank
Hi!
I've lived in Grimsby since I was 7. It's a better place than the name suggests! Only 25-30 minutes from Scunthorpe down the A180.
We have a house for sale if you're interested! It's not a bad house! I would stay here, but hubby needs to be in USA!
Failing you being interested in my house, there are others around here - the prices are quite reasonable.
Did I mention I have a house for sale?! Open to negotiation!!!!
Good luck with the whole move thing
Lived in Grimsby from age 10 until just after Hubby (also moved to Grimsby when 10) and I were married, and I wouldn't move back. sorry Don't get me wrong, the place is OK but it is the people who have lived there all their lives with their parents being from there too. Where in Grimsby are you? We lived in Scartho. Where in the US are you planning on moving to?

However, if I had to move back to somewhere near that area I would probably opt for Louth.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 11:53 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Brigg, Barton Upon Humber

I grew up in Scunthorpe, old sunny scunny LOL. I am asthmatic too, and don't blame you for wanting to spare your child the horrors of the steel works etc. I really do miss old scunny, but only with a nuclear missile, my aim has always been lousy LOL.