Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Isn't anyone else fed up with this weather?

Isn't anyone else fed up with this weather?

Old Jan 10th 2010, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Isn't anyone else fed up with this weather?

Originally Posted by janeyk
we return in two weeks and need to drive from Heathrow to cornwall whats the motorways like I saw the A30 in cornwall on you tube yesterday and it was frightening! do I need a plan B ie book into a hotel
No idea, but how about a couple of full stops.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Get a pair of these mate!

I'm pretty sure if I wore those.....our German Shepherd Max might attack me!
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
I'm all for enjoying being back in England, but I'm definitely not happy with this weather. Is it just because I'm back from Canada, not OZ?

Back in Victoria, it's chugging along at 5-10 degrees, which isn't unusual for January and is much more my cup of tea. I'm enjoying other things about being home, but not this weather. I was prepared for a nippy winter up here in Yorkshire, but not this.

A question -- if this is the pattern for the future (snow, ice, and cold that begins about Christmas and lasts till March, which this might) would it make you think of moving elsewhere? I've heard rumours that the Gulf Stream has weakened, and that would be the result.

Bev
I'm back from Eastern Canada, ie Montreal, Daytime temps are running at about minus 17c there at the moment. The weather we are getting in the UK at the moment is like early April in Quebec. A light dusting of snow and minus 2, it's funny to see so much fuss being made about it but great to know it will all be gone in a few days. I hated the 5 months of Canadian snow.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:38 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
I'm back from Eastern Canada, ie Montreal, Daytime temps are running at about minus 17c there at the moment. The weather we are getting in the UK at the moment is like early April in Quebec. A light dusting of snow and minus 2, it's funny to see so much fuss being made about it but great to know it will all be gone in a few days. I hated the 5 months of Canadian snow.
It's pretty pathetic really isn't it. The snow hasn't stopped me from doing anything or getting anywhere. The UK is one big wimp!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by janeyk
we return in two weeks and need to drive from Heathrow to cornwall whats the motorways like I saw the A30 in cornwall on you tube yesterday and it was frightening! do I need a plan B ie book into a hotel
The majority of motorways and A roads in the southwest are driveable at the moment. Worth checking closer to your arrival time for the specific roads you'll be using though.

Hopefully by the time you return things may be better anyway.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 12:48 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Probably in two weeks it'll be fine. The cold snap is breaking up.

But I gather there's snow predicted for the West Country soon.

I for one am very happy to have bare streets and pavements outside!

Rain. No problem. I like it.

Bev
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:41 pm
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

It's a shame it's at the melting, slushy stage now, but my kids are SO happy to be back in their old school, with their friends and (as my 13 year old said) 'intelligent teaching', I will just buy another pair of wellies!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:56 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Where are you 18 inches where I am, and we have had minus 17.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil52
Where are you 18 inches where I am, and we have had minus 17.
My inlaws are in an area of Dorset that seems to have a micro climate all it's own. They've had a light dusting of snow one night that went the next day and nothing close to the temperatures the rest of the country have had.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I bought myself a lovely woolly hat from River Island. It has a pandas eyes and nose and a a white bobble on each side. I thought it was great fun and the kids would like it. Imagine my horror when my daugther started laughing and said i look like i belong on the rocky bus!!!!
My OH really wants one of the Russian hats he see's people wearing when watching the football...me...I have a beautiful coat....a classic...never dates....brought it to Aus...(I know...I know) never worn it....and cannot wait to wear it again....with some lovely boots...gloves...hats...etc....especially now when I am sat wearing as little as possible to keep cool.....loosing that battle...lol...and fed up of not sleeping in this heat....ruining my much needed beauty sleep......will never again (well might in a good few years) complain about wind,rain,cold etc....lol
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
My inlaws are in an area of Dorset that seems to have a micro climate all it's own. They've had a light dusting of snow one night that went the next day and nothing close to the temperatures the rest of the country have had.
Watched a programme about Cardif yesterday....one of the facts was it has more sun than Milan......and one about Dorset today...has the 2nd largest harbour after Sydney....and looked even nicer....sandbanks was one of the areas near by if I remember......watching to much t.v.......well keeps me cooler indoors than outside....thats my excuse...lol
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:21 am
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

yes, pretty fed up. I too enjoy some of the things that i missed when in Oz, but i'm starting to think we did the wrong thing..... we have been literally stuck inside, the kids liked the snow the first day, but after about half hour were upset that it was sooo cold! But then, i hated the heat in Oz this time of year.....horses/courses
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:50 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

those of us who have returned this last 12mths have happend to pick the worst winter for 30yrs to do it.
I sure as hell wont be regretting coming back because of one fluke winter.

When you look at the uk weather in comparison to that of Australia, which is where we lived for years, the UK has far less extreme and dangerous conditions in comparison

Australia :

Bush fires
Cyclones
Flooding
Dust storms
Temperatures so high you cant function outdoors

England:

The odd flood here and there, and, for England at least, a huge dump of snow once in 30yrs.

I know what i prefer!!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:09 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
those of us who have returned this last 12mths have happend to pick the worst winter for 30yrs to do it.
I sure as hell wont be regretting coming back because of one fluke winter.

When you look at the uk weather in comparison to that of Australia, which is where we lived for years, the UK has far less extreme and dangerous conditions in comparison

Australia :

Bush fires
Cyclones
Flooding
Dust storms
Temperatures so high you cant function outdoors

England:

The odd flood here and there, and, for England at least, a huge dump of snow once in 30yrs.

I know what i prefer!!
Me too, I just HATE that heat when you can't sleep, it's horrid, it's much easier to get warm than it is to get cool in that stinkin' heat!!

We have had pretty heavy snow here in Somerset (near to Wiltshire border) and I think more is expected. I do love the snow but not the ice......hate that part.

As you say Flea we have picked the worst winter for 30 years!!

Barb
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:44 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Flea, when I started this thread, I don't think I implied that this winter is a reason not to come back, or to run away -- though I may at one point have said that if it becomes the norm we might rethink.

This weather has been horrible for a lot of people because most people don't have the clothes or vehicles equipped for it, or can't afford to heat their houses properly, or are afraid to go out on icy pavements. It's not a mark against Britain to acknowledge that.

Mind you, I agree that the hot parts of Australia sound very tough, though I'm a bit puzzled by all the problems sleeping. Don't most people have air conditioning? It could get very hot in Ottawa, and humid with it, but with ac we were fine inside the house.

Bev

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.