Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Isn't anyone else fed up with this weather?

Isn't anyone else fed up with this weather?

Old Jan 8th 2010, 11:20 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Isn't anyone else fed up with this weather?

I'm all for enjoying being back in England, but I'm definitely not happy with this weather. Is it just because I'm back from Canada, not OZ?

Back in Victoria, it's chugging along at 5-10 degrees, which isn't unusual for January and is much more my cup of tea. I'm enjoying other things about being home, but not this weather. I was prepared for a nippy winter up here in Yorkshire, but not this.

A question -- if this is the pattern for the future (snow, ice, and cold that begins about Christmas and lasts till March, which this might) would it make you think of moving elsewhere? I've heard rumours that the Gulf Stream has weakened, and that would be the result.

Bev
Old Jan 8th 2010, 11:29 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Isn't anyone else fed up with this weather?

Originally Posted by Bevm
I'm all for enjoying being back in England, but I'm definitely not happy with this weather. Is it just because I'm back from Canada, not OZ?

Back in Victoria, it's chugging along at 5-10 degrees, which isn't unusual for January and is much more my cup of tea. I'm enjoying other things about being home, but not this weather. I was prepared for a nippy winter up here in Yorkshire, but not this.

A question -- if this is the pattern for the future (snow, ice, and cold that begins about Christmas and lasts till March, which this might) would it make you think of moving elsewhere? I've heard rumours that the Gulf Stream has weakened, and that would be the result.

Bev
Apart from the fact that twice-daily walks with the dog are a bit like Polar expeditions, I must admit I am grateful for there being no rain. Usually at this time of year it is overcast, damp, drizzly, and muddy. Fair exchange is no robbery, I say!

The cold is actually quite crisp and fresh, rather than a permeating damp chill, and if you're togged up adequately (hence the comment about Polar expeditions) you don't really notice it. Bloody central heating bills are going to be a nightmare, though!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 1:25 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Nope...definitely not sick of it. After the amount of sweltering heat i have endured year after year in Aus, this is preferable!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Doesn't bother me at all. I like wearing my boots and hat and my kids love it too. So all good here.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 1:33 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Doesn't bother me at all. I like wearing my boots and hat and my kids love it too. So all good here.
I bought myself a lovely woolly hat from River Island. It has a pandas eyes and nose and a a white bobble on each side. I thought it was great fun and the kids would like it. Imagine my horror when my daugther started laughing and said i look like i belong on the rocky bus!!!!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 1:34 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold

This is how winters used to be and I am luvvin it the scenery is fantastic and the kids and adults are outside so much more....kids are ctually outside
Global warming my arris.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bevm

Bev
More of an inconvenience than anything. We moved to Wiltshire from Maple Ridge, BC just before Christmas and it's nice to get away from the constant rain.

I was watching a program last night on the weather in the UK and apparently their are a number of different length patterns in the weather and a lot of people in the know seem to think the weather we have at the moment is one of those cycles and it last happened in the 80's. Mind you if the Gulfstream did stop running past the UK we'd be looking at the sort of weather eastern Canada gets....
Old Jan 8th 2010, 3:02 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Did you see the satellite pic that was post of frozen UK in the USA section? http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=648011
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:09 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Well we have the weekend going to be 40C (104F) and Monday 42C (107.6F)!

Can anybody pass me a few snowballs...cheers
Old Jan 8th 2010, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I's swap you! Another week of high 30C looming for us, I'd give anything for a good snow scene!
Old Jan 9th 2010, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all

I don't hate this weather as it's a change for the constant rain we seem to get here, but I must admit I'm not loving the driving conditions. I've had to cancel jobs and plans this last week as between heavy snow and roads like ice rinks I just didn't wanna take any risks.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

If I could get my feet to stay warm I wouldn't mind the weather so much!
Old Jan 9th 2010, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Scout
If I could get my feet to stay warm I wouldn't mind the weather so much!
Get a pair of these mate!

Attached Thumbnails Isn't anyone else fed up with this weather?-boots.jpg  
Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Nope...definitely not sick of it. After the amount of sweltering heat i have endured year after year in Aus, this is preferable!

Were just back in oz after 6 weeks in UK, one day of oz summer heat and i would be back to the UK winter in a heartbeat, snow and all.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Isn't anyone else fed up with this weather?

we return in two weeks and need to drive from Heathrow to cornwall whats the motorways like I saw the A30 in cornwall on you tube yesterday and it was frightening! do I need a plan B ie book into a hotel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.