Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

"I'm coming home....I've done my time"

"I'm coming home....I've done my time"

Old Jan 15th 2015, 9:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default "I'm coming home....I've done my time"

Just waiting until the UK spring.

Plan to move to Cambridgeshire which is new to me but looks OK and will not be far from my youngest son and his family and to my own relatives who are mostly in Oxford.

Not sure where exactly but somewhere near to Grafham so I can go trout fishing again....and I like the Ouse valley....and, of course, Newmarket racecourse will not be far away

A couple of decent pubs and I will have found the promised land
Old Jan 15th 2015, 9:54 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "I'm coming home....I've done my time"

Originally Posted by Grayling

Plan to move to Cambridgeshire which is new to me but looks OK and will not be far from my youngest son and his family and to my own relatives who are mostly in Oxford.

Not sure where exactly but somewhere near to Grafham so I can go trout fishing again....and I like the Ouse valley....and, of course, Newmarket racecourse will not be far away

bloody unbelievable, cos I figured you was stuck in Brisbane heat (or somewhere in the OZ heat) for a life term

The rain in the UK will send you back to OZ... joking of course

'now playing for Grayling the Roger Whittaker song 'Last Farewell'

Good luck with the move

Last edited by not2old; Jan 15th 2015 at 9:57 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 10:02 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
bloody unbelievable, cos I figured you was stuck in Brisbane heat (or somewhere in the OZ heat) for a life term

The rain in the UK will send you back to OZ... joking of course

'now playing for Grayling the Roger Whittaker song 'Last Farewell'

Good luck with the move
Got parole

Never planned to stay forever but then three grandchildren came along....not easy decisions to make really but it is time to spend some time with our other grandchild and the rest of our families.

Can't count the number of weddings, birthdays, christenings and, sadly, funerals we have missed.

May return to Australia one day but just looking forward to the next few years at the moment.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 10:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Got parole

Never planned to stay forever but then three grandchildren came along....not easy decisions to make really but it is time to spend some time with our other grandchild and the rest of our families.

Can't count the number of weddings, birthdays, christenings and, sadly, funerals we have missed.

May return to Australia one day but just looking forward to the next few years at the moment.
I sympathize...we are in a similar position. Even though we don't intend to move forever...we don't take into account that our adult kids may not want to go back home...do we?

Good luck to you.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 10:27 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I sympathize...we are in a similar position. Even though we don't intend to move forever...we don't take into account that our adult kids may not want to go back home...do we?

Good luck to you.
Yes.....my eldest son is quite settled here and has just bought a new house.

....but not long ago he was offered a job in Weymouth which he seriously considered and I know his wife would like to work in London for a while to further her career so, it is possible, that we could still be here and all our family in England
We have decided we need to do what is best for ourselves before it is too late.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 10:29 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Good luck to you.
we've moved around lots in the past 48 years, we have lived & worked in several countries & moved from town & city within those countries.

In the beginning as immigrants we start out with the drive for a better life for ourselves, and for Kids that may be in the basket

One day, the kids are gone, grandkids appear, parents, family & friends move or die off [Graylings comment]

So what do we do?

We tell everyone in the circle of family & friends that our time has come to do it for us (me).. "we' parole ourselves"

Short time living - long time dead

I'd rather watch the sun set in a place that makes me happy with the minimal amount of stress

Last edited by not2old; Jan 15th 2015 at 11:30 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 10:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

It is only when I decided to finally retire that I realised how empty life is here....it really is Groundhog day.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 12:45 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Get on the bus, forget about us, put the blame on me.....if I don't see a ribbon round the old oak tree.

Thanks Grayling and good luck with the future. That song is in my head now. You've put a much needed smile on my face.

How long before someone puts a YouTube link to someone singing that song ?

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jan 16th 2015 at 12:46 am. Reason: YouTube
Old Jan 16th 2015, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with everything, have a good look around before you buy, if we were going to move down "south" we would like the Cotswolds or Dorset, we really love Shropshire as well, lovely countryside, loads of villages and on the boarders with Wales so not far to beaches. Best wishes
Old Jan 16th 2015, 8:36 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Get on the bus, forget about us, put the blame on me.....if I don't see a ribbon round the old oak tree.

Thanks Grayling and good luck with the future. That song is in my head now. You've put a much needed smile on my face.

How long before someone puts a YouTube link to someone singing that song ?
and here it is..

Old Jan 16th 2015, 8:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

It is only when I decided to finally retire that I realised how empty life is here....it really is Groundhog day.
Love the song, I put it on facebk for my sister every time I head home

Glad you are able to do it - and hope we manage a beer before you leave
Old Jan 16th 2015, 9:40 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Please ignore the weird karma message. I tried to say that's wonderful news, but seem to be suffering with a bad case of fumble fingers. No matter, I'm very pleased for you G. Wishing you all the best back home.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

As is Florida...
Old Jan 16th 2015, 11:14 am
Bitter and twisted

Thanks all......just got to get organised and get everything shifted..etc.etc.

Not so easy as you get older. Just want to get settled somewhere and finally call it home.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 11:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all......just got to get organised and get everything shifted..etc.etc.

Not so easy as you get older. Just want to get settled somewhere and finally call it home.
You sound just like my husband.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.