Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

"I'm coming home....I've done my time"

"I'm coming home....I've done my time"

Old Jan 16th 2015, 11:27 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "I'm coming home....I've done my time"

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You sound just like my husband.
Perhaps it's a man thang
Old Jan 16th 2015, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your move. Great idea to wait till Spring time there
Old Jan 16th 2015, 11:53 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on deciding what you want and how to get it.

The future is unwritten....
Old Jan 16th 2015, 2:32 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Even though we don't intend to move forever...we don't take into account that our adult kids may not want to go back home...do we?
Words of wisdom every soon-to-be-expat parent should strongly consider...but few do....
Old Jan 16th 2015, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Words of wisdom every soon-to-be-expat parent should strongly consider...but few do....
Equally, we always expect our kids to stick with us forever and often they bugger off to somewhere completely new (or whence they originated). Once you give kids the notion that moving is adventure then they will take their own paths in life!

Good on you G - Groundhog day just about describes it in my book too - ambling inexorably towards the nursing home and being well prepared for the inherent boredom en route.

Cambridgeshire is big and varied - South Cambs has some good villages, positively buzzing with things to do and be part of and we are well accessible to London. Health care around here is excellent IMHO should you need it. Cambridge itself is chockers with things for your diary (check out the town's church railings, laminated posters of concerts, talks, productions, trips, discussion groups etc and then every year we have Science Week with world class science presentations and discussions, film week and various other events. Only downside to Cambridge and the South of the County is the expense and the only downside to Peterborough and the north of the county is the neighbours. Cant help you with a good pub but there are some nice local micro breweries I believe (my friend's son has one) and the coffee is pretty good!
Old Jan 16th 2015, 4:04 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
It is only when I decided to finally retire that I realised how empty life is here....it really is Groundhog day.
For many of us, it takes a move overseas to make us realise that what we were looking for, was back here in the UK the whole time!

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
The future is unwritten....
Love reading that, every time you write it, so true.....
Old Jan 16th 2015, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

redgirluk is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: "I'm coming home....I've done my time"

Just waiting until the UK spring.

Plan to move to Cambridgeshire which is new to me but looks OK and will not be far from my youngest son and his family and to my own relatives who are mostly in Oxford.

Not sure where exactly but somewhere near to Grafham so I can go trout fishing again....and I like the Ouse valley....and, of course, Newmarket racecourse will not be far away

A couple of decent pubs and I will have found the promised land
You're going to my neck of the woods. I grew up in Newmarket born in Ely and intend to return to the Newmarket area this August for good. I am done here after 21 years and look forward to moving back. Good luck to you.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 7:22 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird

Love reading that, every time you write it, so true.....

Old Jan 16th 2015, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Equally, we always expect our kids to stick with us forever and often they bugger off to somewhere completely new (or whence they originated). Once you give kids the notion that moving is adventure then they will take their own paths in life!
I was one of those kids . I suppose I can't blame mine for embracing the notion.

S
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Amaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond reputeAmaike has a reputation beyond repute

Plan to move to Cambridgeshire which is new to me but looks OK and will not be far from my youngest son and his family and to my own relatives who are mostly in Oxford.

Not sure where exactly but somewhere near to Grafham so I can go trout fishing again....and I like the Ouse valley....and, of course, Newmarket racecourse will not be far away

You must be on serious countdown now. How long have you been in Oz?
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 12:50 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Sure, our kids grow up to be their own people, with their very own individual ideas of where they want to live. That's the amazing & wonderful thing about having children--they come with no guarantees & after a certain age the parent has NO control!

When the kids are small & biddable, some parents don't realize this stage is only temporary...and the day is coming (sooner than some parents dream) when our kids grab their fates & run where they will... & all we can do at that point is wish them well.

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I was one of those kids . I suppose I can't blame mine for embracing the notion.
So true!! Moving countries IS a grand adventure, and for young people it's got no downsides whatsoever. (The downsides come later, in middle & old age.)
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

I'm not sure how I overlooked this momentous news, but congratulations anyway. I hope all your preparations are going to plan.

There will never be a perfect time to move back to the UK, something we grappled with for a while. Finally, after visiting the UK at Easter last year, we made the snap decision to return and were back 9 weeks later, although our worldly goods were a little slower. Sometimes you just to have to stop thinking and do it.

After never quite feeling that Australia was home, I can honestly say it is fantastic to be back even though we left our first born behind in Oz (temporarily I hope). There are things we miss after 8 years in Australia and we haven't ruled out going back there to live one day, but for now the UK is home: we are enjoying everything it has to offer and certainly don't miss the nagging feeling we used to have that our lives were slightly off kilter.

I hope your preparations are not too stressful, but if things do get to you, focus on the goal - it will be worth it.

Last edited by Famous 5; Jan 23rd 2015 at 10:27 am.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 8:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I sympathize...we are in a similar position. Even though we don't intend to move forever...we don't take into account that our adult kids may not want to go back home...do we?

Good luck to you.
Basing your retirement plans on where your children are living is an exercise in frustration and futility. My parents were hell-bent on moving to where my sister was living at the time, which happened to be Norwich. Soon after they retired she moved to London, and a few years later went to France for seven years. Then she went to Easton, PA for about a year, but the situation fell apart and she has now been living in Cheshire for the past couple of years. Thankfully my parents stayed put, where there friends mostly live.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 9:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Basing your retirement plans on where your children are living is an exercise in frustration and futility. My parents were hell-bent on moving to where my sister was living at the time, which happened to be Norwich. Soon after they retired she moved to London, and a few years later went to France for seven years. Then she went to Easton, PA for about a year, but the situation fell apart and she has now been living in Cheshire for the past couple of years. Thankfully my parents stayed put, where there friends mostly live.
A little different from our situation...however I know what you're saying.

We brought our daughter to live this side of the pond...away from her friends and relatives. She has just had a baby...apart from her husband she has no support system here. If the current situation changes...then we will move back to the UK.

In my mind that it very different from the adult children moving away.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 9:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A little different from our situation...however I know what you're saying.

We brought our daughter to live this side of the pond...away from her friends and relatives. She has just had a baby...apart from her husband she has no support system here. If the current situation changes...then we will move back to the UK.

In my mind that it very different from the adult children moving away.
Agreed and understood. ...... But it is another way that retirees can end up separated by geography from their grandchildren.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.