Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How often do you go back to the U.K.?

How often do you go back to the U.K.?

Old May 10th 2012, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How often do you go back to the U.K.?

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Once a year, while my parents were alive. Last two trips back have been for their funerals. I don't feel the need to go back anymore.
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I do have a couple of other relatives I like to visit though, plus friends I had before I moved or with whom I've reconnected since moving.

Originally Posted by Primula
Do everyone's parents enjoy their trips to America?
Mother in law truly hated it and couldn't understand why anyone would want to live here. Mother was very biased against the US to begin with, but over the years came to realize that most of her preconceptions about it were inaccurate.
Old May 10th 2012, 9:16 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Do everyone's parents enjoy their trips to America?
My in-laws love it. They don't do a lot when they are here just potter about, in and out of the sun, reading, eating, drinking. They are happy to do whatever we plan, a day trip, walk round the park, swim in the pool. Of course being waited on hand and foot would appeal to most folk I would imagine.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't been back once since I moved here permanently in '04.

My mother has come to visit 3 times, to see the kids, she'd like to visit more, but went to see her sisters in Japan as two of them were pretty ill, they're dead now though and only one sister alive.

My sister has visited twice, for the afternoon. She has flown into Boston a fair few times, but never called to say she was in town. We're not exactly close. I've not heard from her in over a year.

Edit: oh, my mother enjoyed her last visit, we took her up to Maine for the week. She didn't think very much of Mass though, enjoyed the Aquarium in Boston, but didn't think to much of the rest of the places we took her

Last edited by Bob; May 10th 2012 at 10:34 pm.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:35 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Haven't been back once since I moved here permanently in '04.

My mother has come to visit 3 times, to see the kids, she'd like to visit more, but went to see her sisters in Japan as two of them were pretty ill, they're dead now though and only one sister alive.

My sister has visited twice, for the afternoon. She has flown into Boston a fair few times, but never called to say she was in town. We're not exactly close. I've not heard from her in over a year.

Edit: oh, my mother enjoyed her last visit, we took her up to Maine for the week. She didn't think very much of Mass though, enjoyed the Aquarium in Boston, but didn't think to much of the rest of the places we took her
I thought the aquarium was the worst thing I visited in Boston
Old May 10th 2012, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

I left about 40 years ago. I have never been back.
Old May 11th 2012, 12:57 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I must confess to a few drunken conversations with the harbour seals there on occasions that I've stayed at Marriott Long Wharf.
Old May 11th 2012, 1:46 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't been back since I moved here in '07. I don't really have any plans to visit any time soon either as there's a big list of things I'd rather do with the time and money it would take to go back with wife and 2 toddlers.
Old May 11th 2012, 1:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
When we went, everything was in rutting season...she got a giggle out of watching all the penguins bonking each other and parents trying to wiggle out of explaining it to the other kids
Old May 11th 2012, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

In almost 8 years, I've only gone back once, for a month last year. Won't be able to afford it again any time soon, but I've been looking at the possibility of doing a semester abroad either in Ireland or Spain, and then the potentiality of catching cheap flights from there.

My grandmother's visited a few times and enjoys it, as she also has a couple sisters that live i Sacramento, and another in Vancouver. My granddad understandably wasn't too impressed with the central valley when he visited shortly before he died.
Old May 11th 2012, 11:13 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I came here in 1996 and went back for my first visit just a few weeks ago.

I didnt really think about it before, but it was nice to go back just for a week or so and it had been left WAY too long. Time just sort of raced past really. Im hoping to make yearly visits now, see the parents and stuff.
Old May 11th 2012, 5:27 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by robin1234
Could never get my parents to come here. They had hated the US and all it stood for since 1956 (Suez crisis.)
Guess they forgot about WWII.

Originally Posted by SarahG
Last visit was very stressful and resulted in a major falling out between me and my brother and our stepdad that has still not been sorted.
Don't you love family squabbles whilst you're on vacation? On the 5 occasions I've been back, my siblings have either squabbled with me or squabbled among themselves as to which of them should get most of my attention. On occasion, I felt very manipulated by each of them vying for my attention.

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
My in-laws love it. They don't do a lot when they are here just potter about, in and out of the sun, reading, eating, drinking. They are happy to do whatever we plan, a day trip, walk round the park, swim in the pool.
That's what we older folks like to do.

Originally Posted by Bob
She didn't think very much of Mass though
If I didn't live in New York, I would live in Massachussetts. It's a state that has everything you could wish for.

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag
I left about 40 years ago. I have never been back.
Wow.
Old May 11th 2012, 5:29 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Guess they forgot about WWII.

Er no.. they didn't.
Old May 12th 2012, 3:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

If I didn't live in New York, I would live in Massachussetts. It's a state that has everything you could wish for.

But it's a shit, boring state to go visit during the summer, when you've already done the tourist thing in Boston and don't want to sit in a car for a couple of hours to check out towns in western MA.

It's not a bad place to live in though on the other hand.
Old May 14th 2012, 7:27 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bob
But it's a shit, boring state to go visit during the summer, when you've already done the tourist thing in Boston and don't want to sit in a car for a couple of hours to check out towns in western MA.
Bob, two words. Cape Cod!
Old May 14th 2012, 7:31 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Bob, two words. Cape Cod!
Cape Cod is nice off season, but a bit of a pain in the summer..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.