Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How to get credit rating in UK...whilst elsewhere!

How to get credit rating in UK...whilst elsewhere!

Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:58 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get credit rating in UK...whilst elsewhere!

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
It is a carry on. Pain in the hole.
I rang the local council, filled a form in and we were added to the electoral roll.
As for mobile phones, we couldn't get one on contract until we had prove of address and utility bills. Then we had to pay £300 extra as we had no credit rating. All pay out, nightmare.

Take alook here and see what you think.........I've been more then happy so far...and i didn't have to prove a thing.
You can request an agent to call, if need be...to explain all the ins and outs.

http://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/en...f?exref=024977
Old Feb 18th 2009, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

It is a carry on. Pain in the hole.
I rang the local council, filled a form in and we were added to the electoral roll.
As for mobile phones, we couldn't get one on contract until we had prove of address and utility bills. Then we had to pay £300 extra as we had no credit rating. All pay out, nightmare.
On the subject of the electoral roll, we were registered at our house until we sold it. What would have happened at that point? We didn't unregister ourselves but I am guessing that at some point, if we did not update or re-submit a form for a period after then perhaps we would have just dropped off? Anyone know how that works? Just trying to work out how long after we left that our names were still registered so I can calculate how long we have not been on an E.R.

I'm starting to think I may have to ask M.I.L. if we can add our names onto her's at her address to get things going before we return. Sounds like we are going to have some right fun and games when we return and paying 6 months rent up front is not part of the plan!!!!! gulp!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
On the subject of the electoral roll, we were registered at our house until we sold it. What would have happened at that point? We didn't unregister ourselves but I am guessing that at some point, if we did not update or re-submit a form for a period after then perhaps we would have just dropped off? Anyone know how that works? Just trying to work out how long after we left that our names were still registered so I can calculate how long we have not been on an E.R.

I'm starting to think I may have to ask M.I.L. if we can add our names onto her's at her address to get things going before we return. Sounds like we are going to have some right fun and games when we return and paying 6 months rent up front is not part of the plan!!!!! gulp!
We didn't want to pay 6 months up front either, but had no choice in the end as we had no prove of income or references from employers. Catch 22 really, they have you by the balls as we had no credit rating either, so things looked pretty crap for us lol. So we are cash buyers now which we thought would be good for buying a car, but the car dealers won't budge in price. Recession???what recession, they act as if nothings changed

Anyway, good idea about getting on the electoral roll, it should help with alot of things, otherwise you are pretty much an alien.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Mary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to all

I was turned down initially for a contract phone because i'd only been in my rental for over a month. I was concerned being turned down would end up on my credit report and make it even worse, so i rang the company up and complained. They agreed to overwrite the automatic system and sorted out the contract there and then - they've since deleted the failed check from my credit history
Old Feb 18th 2009, 10:08 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mary1967UK
I was turned down initially for a contract phone because i'd only been in my rental for over a month. I was concerned being turned down would end up on my credit report and make it even worse, so i rang the company up and complained. They agreed to overwrite the automatic system and sorted out the contract there and then - they've since deleted the failed check from my credit history
There are ways around it but instead of just filling in forms and waiting to be denied credit, make sure you explain because as Mary says, often they will override the system if they understand. The system is in place to stop people with a bad credit history, not people who have no credit history.

Whatever you do, don't just accept that credit has been denied without checking that it's not been added to a credit history register otherwise your credit rating never gets off the ground.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mary1967UK
Hey well done for that. I hate the credit rating system so much. It is SO quick to note every little thing that works against you yet seems to take forever to build up a decent score. I can't remember exactly but I think it changes from 'fair' to 'good' once you go past 630 in the USA and I swear I sat at 629 for an infuriatingly long time..... I'm convinced the whole thing is fixed!
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

This whole electoral roll thing is doing my head in. If we print off a form online and post it in to say we live at a relatives address, is that illegal?
I can see the benefit of getting our existence acknowledged prior to our return but at the same time I don't want us to get into any trouble.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

We didn't want to pay 6 months up front either, but had no choice in the end as we had no prove of income or references from employers. Catch 22 really, they have you by the balls as we had no credit rating either, so things looked pretty crap for us lol. So we are cash buyers now which we thought would be good for buying a car, but the car dealers won't budge in price. Recession???what recession, they act as if nothings changed

Anyway, good idea about getting on the electoral roll, it should help with alot of things, otherwise you are pretty much an alien.
God that sucks. At least you were prepared and had the 6 months ready to pay upfront. We could do that too but want to avoid it if at all possible. Do you think the main issue was with your non-existence on the system or more to do with the fact that you couldn't verify income?

(What is up with these sales people - namely car dealers and realtors - that truly believe that they should STILL have a bash at fooling the public that the global economy is not in the s******?! Perhaps on THEIR planet there is no recession but there bloody well is on planet Earth!)
Old Feb 21st 2009, 7:02 am
Just Joined

ninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really nice

We are having the same responses as everyone else with regard to rent - 6 months up front on a 6 month renewable contract - and we still have our business bank account & personal bank account in the UK.

When we were in the US, we registered ourselves on the electoral role at my mothers address in the UK and applied for a proxy vote - this is totally legal and allows you a vote - however I am not sure if it helps with anything else.

Maybe some one can help me with this though - I have been trying to get my credit score in the UK but without a UK address I cannot seem to get it - is Experian the only company that do the UK credit score? I signed up for a free trial with them and put in my last known address and then they said they would mail a pin number to that address!!! I wrote to them to explain and they just sent an automated response saying the pin number would be sent out

I always knew there were aliens out there - its us
Old Feb 21st 2009, 7:19 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
Thank you Gypsie.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 1:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninakula
We are having the same responses as everyone else with regard to rent - 6 months up front on a 6 month renewable contract - and we still have our business bank account & personal bank account in the UK.

When we were in the US, we registered ourselves on the electoral role at my mothers address in the UK and applied for a proxy vote - this is totally legal and allows you a vote - however I am not sure if it helps with anything else.

Maybe some one can help me with this though - I have been trying to get my credit score in the UK but without a UK address I cannot seem to get it - is Experian the only company that do the UK credit score? I signed up for a free trial with them and put in my last known address and then they said they would mail a pin number to that address!!! I wrote to them to explain and they just sent an automated response saying the pin number would be sent out

I always knew there were aliens out there - its us
I thought it was illegal to vote if you've been an expat for more than 15 years.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

ninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought it was illegal to vote if you've been an expat for more than 15 years.
Don't know about 15 years - we have only been gone 6 years and we checked everything online first - the form we used (and I cannot remember the full details) was specifically for expats living abroad who wanted to vote by proxy - I can't remember if it stated a maximum time - I just know that we were ok - although since we have left the States I have forgotten to update the records Back to square 1 ??