Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

How to get credit rating in UK...whilst elsewhere!

Wikiposts

How to get credit rating in UK...whilst elsewhere!

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:12 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get credit rating in UK...whilst elsewhere!

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Thankfully, when I was there the last 2 times, I made sure I was put on the electoral register at my daughters address, plus I managed to open a Lloyds bank account. I also got a laptop and dongle deal at Carphone Warehouse on a monthly plan. On top of that Next catalogue also allowed me to have a credit account ( no idea why!!) So i decided just to buy a couple of small items, (duvet and kettle ready for when we get back)
This means that even though I had to return to Aus temporarily, my credit rating is building nicely.

I would advise anyone going back for holidays or reccies to try this as a way of kickstarting a history

You were lucky and smart! I've got my UK account, I never closed it but I knew I would have to rebuild my credit history so i've stayed in oz a bit longer to get more money together.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Damn! Should have thought of that whilst I was over there. Flea...I thought you'd gone back for good!!!

Thankfully, when I was there the last 2 times, I made sure I was put on the electoral register at my daughters address, plus I managed to open a Lloyds bank account. I also got a laptop and dongle deal at Carphone Warehouse on a monthly plan. On top of that Next catalogue also allowed me to have a credit account ( no idea why!!) So i decided just to buy a couple of small items, (duvet and kettle ready for when we get back)
This means that even though I had to return to Aus temporarily, my credit rating is building nicely.

I would advise anyone going back for holidays or reccies to try this as a way of kickstarting a history
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:20 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
Damn! Should have thought of that whilst I was over there. Flea...I thought you'd gone back for good!!!
I did (or so i thought) but I had to come back here temporarily. OH was still in Sydney waiting for me to set up things UK end, so he could apply for his spouse visa, but sadly he collapsed outside the bank and ended up in hospital.
I flew back in a panic. Turned out to be gallstones. Now he's had the operation we are waiting for his visa to be granted, then back we go TOGETHER!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:22 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link about obtaining a credit rating

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Obt...ting&id=732264

Some interesting info on here. Just watch it isn't just a finance brokers opinion though. You really need cast iron info on the regulations which change frequently at the moment.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

The best laid plans eh? Must have given you quite a turn at the time...hope he's back to full health and steering clear of the those disasterous Aussie burgers with the lot!

I did (or so i thought) but I had to come back here temporarily. OH was still in Sydney waiting for me to set up things UK end, so he could apply for his spouse visa, but sadly he collapsed outside the bank and ended up in hospital.
I flew back in a panic. Turned out to be gallstones. Now he's had the operation we are waiting for his visa to be granted, then back we go TOGETHER!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:57 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
The best laid plans eh? Must have given you quite a turn at the time...hope he's back to full health and steering clear of the those disasterous Aussie burgers with the lot!
Ahhh yes... the low fat diet. Sore subject in this house. He is trying...
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

was in uk in june.opened bank account with internet access through bank of scotland. shite will have to email them still not recieved card,keep forgetting. showed utility bills,rates bill, passports, proof of high interest account at bankwest(was owened by bank of scotland) but they would only allow a basic savings account as not resident in uk.:curse:was told to get on electoral roll when we move back,couldnt do it whilst over for some reason,maybe to do with voting in local elections? they said once we have 6 months continious credit eg utilities etc then we could get a different account. i took fflm's advice and opened an account through next before christmas.had catologue delivered to mil's so she can order if she wants also will get a few small things ordered myself to pick up when we land -----eventually.just means more crap in the car to scotland alond with the cat!!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

If it's any consolation, my friend's daughter just had 20 (yes, 20!!!) galstones removed (along with gallbladder) and she's not even 19 years old! Oh, plus....I'm on a low fat diet too as had far too many Mr. Kiplings, pork pies, chips and dandilion and burdock whilst back in Blighty!

Ahhh yes... the low fat diet. Sore subject in this house. He is trying...
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:49 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

I believe Gallstones are more likely to form on someone with a slow metabolisum, rather then how much fat you take in.
And once they've taken it out, its not going to bother you again no matter how much fat you eat.....

A person may however start suffering with indigestion
Old Feb 4th 2009, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

When we first arrived in the States we were living in a hotel and had no credit history at all so the first thing the bank told us to do was get secured credit cards from them. They put our address into their system as the address of the bank and had our bank mail sent to them and we would collect (can you imagine that level of service from a UK bank?!), anyway both DH and I got a card each with a $300 limit. The cards were linked to accounts that both held $300 each of our cash that we deposited - like a savings account. The money would be held for 1 year. We were told to keep using the card and pay it off regularly - always paying on time or early and always for more than the minimum. The general rule of thumb was spend only 20% of the $300 then pay it off then every once in a while spend more and then pay it all off again. We were told to use it regularly for groceries or filling up the tank etc...
Doing this really helped us build a positive credit history and rating fast. Apparently people with poor credit do this all the time to rebuild their credit. Clever I thought.
Does anyone know if it is possible to get 'secured credit cards' in the UK? I'm hoping to get one if at all possible before we return and start building our score.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 2:54 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
When we first arrived in the States we were living in a hotel and had no credit history at all so the first thing the bank told us to do was get secured credit cards from them. They put our address into their system as the address of the bank and had our bank mail sent to them and we would collect (can you imagine that level of service from a UK bank?!), anyway both DH and I got a card each with a $300 limit. The cards were linked to accounts that both held $300 each of our cash that we deposited - like a savings account. The money would be held for 1 year. We were told to keep using the card and pay it off regularly - always paying on time or early and always for more than the minimum. The general rule of thumb was spend only 20% of the $300 then pay it off then every once in a while spend more and then pay it all off again. We were told to use it regularly for groceries or filling up the tank etc...
Doing this really helped us build a positive credit history and rating fast. Apparently people with poor credit do this all the time to rebuild their credit. Clever I thought.
Does anyone know if it is possible to get 'secured credit cards' in the UK? I'm hoping to get one if at all possible before we return and start building our score.
Do you mean something similar to these?

http://www.compareprepaid.co.uk/compare-uk.html

There are many of these cards available in UK, but some charge higher fees than others. The post office even does it!
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean something similar to these?

http://www.compareprepaid.co.uk/compare-uk.html

There are many of these cards available in UK, but some charge higher fees than others. The post office even does it!
Hey Flea, thanks for this.... I think prepaid cards are just like gift cards and would not help build credit. A secured credit card is a real credit card from a bank - the only difference being that they are at no risk because your limit is set at the amount you have put in to secure it.

I'm going to do a bit of googlin...... will let you allknow if I find anything.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:04 am
I don't give a damn

Hey Flea, thanks for this.... I think prepaid cards are just like gift cards and would not help build credit. A secured credit card is a real credit card from a bank - the only difference being that they are at no risk because your limit is set at the amount you have put in to secure it.

Ahhh ok, i see. Yes, let us know what you find. Its 3am here and i really should be in bed
Old Feb 4th 2009, 3:28 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gypsies

I to would be interested to learn if the UK offered secured credit cards.Please update me if you get the chance.

Thank you
Old Feb 9th 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hello Ladies, I have found this info..... http://www.creditsolveuk.com/secured.htm

So glad to see it is possible to get secured credit cards in the UK Was hoping to see some of the more familiar banks offering these... will search a bit more and let you know what I come up with.

Last edited by USAGypsies; Feb 9th 2009 at 12:59 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.