Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Homesick - does this stop?

Homesick - does this stop?

Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:11 am
Rosie

goteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to all
Default Homesick - does this stop?

I came here on a K1 visa, I feel like I'll never settle in or find people I can get along with. Did you guys feel this way? Did things change?
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:14 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesick - does this stop?

Originally Posted by goteamrosie
I came here on a K1 visa, I feel like I'll never settle in or find people I can get along with. Did you guys feel this way? Did things change?
There's tons of threads on this topic if you do a search.

But sadly for some no and others like myself love it, are you working yet that helps the sadness.

How long have you been here?

Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:19 am
Rosie

goteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to all

i am not able to work for at least 90 days. i've been here since april 17th and there have been complications. i just feel like i'm not getting any satisfaction and therefore feeling increasingly resentful towards my husband. meh.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:23 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

i am not able to work for at least 90 days. i've been here since april 17th and there have been complications. i just feel like i'm not getting any satisfaction and therefore feeling increasingly resentful towards my husband. meh.
I went through that a bit to start, hated not being able to work drove me insane, your in a nice place Seattle try and get out every day even just for a walk, spend more time on expats lol it does help, it got me through the 1st few months.

Have you ever been away from home before for a long period of time?
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:26 am
Rosie

yeah i've backpacked around europe for month and i spent 3 months in seattle in 2006. i'm just so bored! i'm not in central seattle so its hassle to get there as i can't drive yet and the place we live is super super boring lol
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:29 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i've backpacked around europe for month and i spent 3 months in seattle in 2006. i'm just so bored! i'm not in central seattle so its hassle to get there as i can't drive yet and the place we live is super super boring lol
The world will change for the better once you get your drivers license and a job. Heck it does that for a native born American. Just give it time. It's a good thing that you are in Seattle because it's got so much to do. You'll never run out of stuff to do.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:29 am

Well then its chat shows,new cooking ideas,say hi "I am.... to the neighbors go introduce yourself, you will be a hit straight off guaranteed with an accent, get hubby to have some friends over with thier wifes to meet some new faces, they might have down time during the week to do things with you.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:31 am
Rosie

yeah you're right. i just don't feel like i even want to bother. i've met a load of people and none of them have been 'to my taste'. maybe i should just get myself home!! before my $1080 gets processed.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:35 am

yeah you're right. i just don't feel like i even want to bother. i've met a load of people and none of them have been 'to my taste'. maybe i should just get myself home!! before my $1080 gets processed.
Good god girl thats a bit drastic, I met a few I did not like the red neck family I married into primarily the inlaws were ok and 2 sisters the rest OMG I lived the life of Jerry Springerville.............hence I am divorced now they were all totally nuts.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:38 am
Rosie

wow but you stayed in the usa??

i guess i had a really brilliant life at home. my husband and i where apart for 13 months and now its just a bit of an anti climax.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Alert! Alert! Alert! Problem found!

You MUST drive here in the US. What's stopping you? You can drive using your UK drivers license. You can rent a car.

Not working, and not being able to get out and about, is an absolute recipe for disaster.

I wasn't homesick when I got here and have never been homesick. But then, I haven't been bored once since the day I arrived!
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:40 am
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Hope things pick up for you. Stick with it, eventually you will have more good days than bad, then you know you are over the hurdle. Just dont put too many expectations on you or your new life. Take it day by day and try and meet each day with a fresh and positive outlook.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:41 am

wow but you stayed in the usa??

i guess i had a really brilliant life at home. my husband and i where apart for 13 months and now its just a bit of an anti climax.
I most certainly did we split a few times but I loved the old rogue to bits in the beginning but he had issues that were never going to change and I decided to make a go of it on my own and someone must be looking down on me because I have been very successful and count my blessings every day, but I worked very hard to get where I am today, I have no regrets
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:42 am
Rosie

i might be able to get my permit on monday. then i have to learn. i'm 22 (last month) so i have never drive before. it took forever to get proof of address.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I most certainly did we split a few times but I loved the old rogue to bits in the beginning but he had issues that were never going to change and I decided to make a go of it on my own and someone must be looking down on me because I have been very successful and count my blessings every day, but I worked very hard to get where I am today, I have no regrets
Although there are other measures and factors, I'd say personally that being busy (which loosely and roughly translates to being employed) and challenged is a key factor in being happy here (well, anywhere, I guess, but if you are suddenly transplanted out of your comfort zone, being busy and challenged gives you the fulfillment you need).

If you do a search of BE, you'll find that most of the unhappy souls are in your exact situation - spouses, unable to work, didn't particularly want to come here in the first place, etc. The ones who are most happy came for a job, wanted to come, and are busy.

Do you have a job prospect in your near future?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.