Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Homesick - does this stop?

Homesick - does this stop?

Old Aug 15th 2008, 2:53 pm
Rosie

goteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to all
Default Re: Homesick - does this stop?

no i can't get work for at least 90 days
Old Aug 15th 2008, 2:54 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goteamrosie
I'd say enjoy it. When you begin working you'll wish you had that much time off.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 2:55 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive me if I am out of order but if you came in on a K1 I thought that gave you the right to work immediately

Not very up on the K1 visa.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 3:20 pm
Rosie

goteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to allgoteamrosie is a name known to all

have to file for an adjustment of status and get a green card in the mean time (which takes 90 days). it's rather awful!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 6:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I do hope things improve for you. You had a 'brilliant' life in ... (Manchester)? You are 22 and not used to driving. You probably left a lot of good friends behind. The only reason you came here is for a guy who probably swept you off your feet a few years ago and is now probably busy working all day, happy to be back in his home environment, oblivious to your predicament.

You were here before, though, in Seattle - did you like it then?

What was so 'brilliant' about your life before? Did you have a great job? What were your prospects? a great apartment? Did you live at home? A great bunch of friends?

In my case, I grew up in Lancashire (which holds no good memories for me) but moved to London for college and then stayed for a job. I had a 'brilliant' life in London - great friends, loved the city to death, but - after college (uni), my friends started drifting away and I found myself not meeting new people. I then started looking to buy a flat but I didn't have enough money ... the future started to look a whole lot less 'brilliant' once the fun life of university started to fade and the realities of the working life set in. Then I found myself over here, where the working life was infinitely more exciting and challenging, and the income was far higher, allowing me to live in a more comfortable environment. And I fell in love with the Bay Area - the weather, the atmosphere, the people.

What is it about the people here that you are not liking? I enjoy the people here more than the people in UK; they are, on the whole, more optimistic, positive, and friendly. Yes, the optimism can be a bit much some times, but which would you rather have - an overdose of optimism or an overdose of cynicism/negativism, which is how it is in England. Actually, to refine this statement, I'd say - I like 'being surrounded by' Americans more than I like being surrounded by Brits. In terms of actual friends, I'd still count some of my old college buddies as being the best. But get 5 brits in a room and I start to feel depressed ...

All I can say is, think about not only what was happening to you before you came here, but what were your prospects at home, where would you likely be in 5 years, and ... is there nothing about Seattle that appeals to you? I found Manchester to be wholly unattractive, and liked Seattle much more on a few visits (though the weather is not much better!).

If all else fails, go home for a few weeks, see how you feel after a quick return visit. I found that each return visit strengthened my desire to stay in the US.

Last edited by Steerpike; Aug 15th 2008 at 7:19 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 7:07 pm
Rosie

i'm not going to be allowed to re-enter america for another 90 days minimum. thanks for the encouragement. i think it's just a tough time right now. i miss my friends and having control over my life. i'm sure i'll make friends here and regain control via getting my licence and working. i think the real issue is that i'm still not sure this is the right decision, and i guess thats something only i can figure out. thanks for all the help.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:47 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Ah to be 22 again, . The world's your oyster kiddo, good luck.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

yeah you're right. i just don't feel like i even want to bother. i've met a load of people and none of them have been 'to my taste'. maybe i should just get myself home!! before my $1080 gets processed.
wow but you stayed in the usa??

i guess i had a really brilliant life at home. my husband and i where apart for 13 months and now its just a bit of an anti climax.
There are an awful lot of people here, I'm sure you will eventually find some you like.

I am wondering if you're really happy to be with your hubby now though...
Old Aug 16th 2008, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

I have found that American people are different to people back home.
What is your taste in people? You said you haven't found any to your taste.Well neither did I until I went looking for them.
I live in the most redneck town going, complete with churches on every street corner and bible bashers in your face.
Even here I can find Pagans, Buddhists, assorted New Age people who are similar in personality to myself, who wont immediately judge me or call me Satanic (unlike most Christians I have met.... grrr....).
You need to look for the sort of people you like to mix with. I'm not into NASCAR, or country music, or church, or anything to do with Jesus. I would never be seen doing a line dance, or eating gumbo, or driving a big rusty pick up truck.
But then, I'm moving back to the UK, but that's not to do with the people here, I'm starting to "get" them now. It's more to do with the people I left behind. It takes time.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
What is your taste in people? You said you haven't found any to your taste.Well neither did I until I went looking for them.
I live in the most redneck town going, complete with churches on every street corner and bible bashers in your face.
Even here I can find Pagans, Buddhists, assorted New Age people who are similar in personality to myself, who wont immediately judge me or call me Satanic (unlike most Christians I have met.... grrr....).
You need to look for the sort of people you like to mix with. I'm not into NASCAR, or country music, or church, or anything to do with Jesus. I would never be seen doing a line dance, or eating gumbo, or driving a big rusty pick up truck.
But then, I'm moving back to the UK, but that's not to do with the people here, I'm starting to "get" them now. It's more to do with the people I left behind. It takes time.
Agree with you 99% - but you don't know what you're missing with gumbo!

Mmmmmm....
Old Aug 16th 2008, 3:17 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Ah to be 22 again, . The world's your oyster kiddo, good luck.
Hey, I'm in really good shape-- I'm 22 two and a half time over!
Old Aug 16th 2008, 3:42 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
What you've described is pretty much the South. Where the OP is it's very different from where you are. You'd probably fit in more with Seattlites and West Coasters more than you do currently with the Southerners. There is a more progressive vibe there. Most of the West coast feels that way. It has a more liberal approach to things which is quite refreshing. Having said that she will still run into the stereotypical American but not too many of them.

Oh Emma M, PLEASE try Gumbo before you go back to the UK. Gumbo served over rice is heaven. You can't really duplicate the Cajun taste that well outside of the South. Plus it's what I call a definitive soul food dish. Just one bowl will do you.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ugacrew
What you've described is pretty much the South. Where the OP is it's very different from where you are. You'd probably fit in more with Seattlites and West Coasters more than you do currently with the Southerners. There is a more progressive vibe there. Most of the West coast feels that way. It has a more liberal approach to things which is quite refreshing. Having said that she will still run into the stereotypical American but not too many of them.

Oh Emma M, PLEASE try Gumbo before you go back to the UK. Gumbo served over rice is heaven. You can't really duplicate the Cajun taste that well outside of the South. Plus it's what I call a definitive soul food dish. Just one bowl will do you.
I can... I can do it... I can make it. Mmmmm....

Big hassle though
Old Aug 16th 2008, 3:58 am
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by Tracym
I can... I can do it... I can make it. Mmmmm....

Big hassle though
It is a big hassle. It's one of those foods of love that take bit of time to make in order for it to turn out right. I'm talking an hour or more at least. What kind of gumbo do you make? I love shrimp gumbo with crispy okra.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ugacrew
It is a big hassle. It's one of those foods of love that take bit of time to make in order for it to turn out right. I'm talking an hour or more at least. What kind of gumbo do you make? I love shrimp gumbo with crispy okra.
It can take up to an hour just to make the roux.

I usually make shrimp & andouille, although you can add any sort of seafood.

First, I have to order shrimps with heads. Use the heads and shells to make shrimp broth. Then the roux... then...

Hours. But MMMMMmmmmmm....

oh yeah - there is okra and other veggies in there, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.