Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Having to move back after 17 years!

Having to move back after 17 years!

Old Aug 20th 2010, 1:11 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having to move back after 17 years!

Originally Posted by charleygirl
But what he paid in NI contributions will help towards his UK pension later.....if they return.
... and even if they don't.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Really? You mean they can get UK pension if they live in US or they can get a pension if they dont make contributions?
Old Aug 20th 2010, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Really? You mean they can get UK pension if they live in US or they can get a pension if they dont make contributions?
No, what he (probably) means is that the contributions being paid right now, this day are paying for pensions, right now this day. From what I can gather from the forecasts Britain seems to be operating on a basis of 'hope' that there will be something for the future years.

I don't think there is a more pro UK MBTTUKer on the board, but this should be a real worry for those with no private or FFS (rare nowadays) pension.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh okay sorry I get it....thanks...yes I know very scary thought..... I got my forecast yesterday......I only need 3 years to catch up to get the pension ( or not then)
Old Aug 20th 2010, 5:02 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I meant you can receive UK pension even if you live in the US (subject to making sufficient NI contributions, etc.).
Old Aug 20th 2010, 6:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think he means the NI contributions that he paid years ago when he lived in the US...will give him a UK pension upon retiring age. It makes no difference if he's living in the UK or not when he retires...if he's paid into the system at some point he will receive some sort of pension from the UK Government.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

One option you may want to consider is emigrating to Canada and after 3 years apply for CDN Citizenship, after you have that as a Canadian you can visit USA for up to 6 months at a time, so would give you the chance to at least visit business in USA.

Other alternative, PM me privately if you wish, but we own a business in the USA and there are ways around running it from outside the country. Thats what we are doing....maybe I can help you with some ideas.

OH and I agree about the Mexican thing, its what has P O'd hubby and I off for years, double friggin standards.

Last edited by shelley748; Aug 21st 2010 at 8:31 pm. Reason: added more text
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
One option you may want to consider is emigrating to Canada and after 3 years apply for CDN Citizenship, after you have that as a Canadian you can visit USA for up to 6 months at a time, so would give you the chance to at least visit business in USA.

Other alternative, PM me privately if you wish, but we own a business in the USA and there are ways around running it from outside the country. Thats what we are doing....maybe I can help you with some ideas.

OH and I agree about the Mexican thing, its what has P O'd hubby and I off for years, double friggin standards.
How do they qualify to live and work in Canada?
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How do they qualify to live and work in Canada?
Well they would need to check out the required criteria on the site for immigration for Canada...

www.cic.gc.ca

It depends on their professions etc...just a suggestion thats all.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 9:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Well they would need to check out the required criteria on the site for immigration for Canada...

www.cic.gc.ca

It depends on their professions etc...just a suggestion thats all.
That's why I asked...I know there are plenty of hurdles to jump through if one wants to move to Canada.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 21st 2010 at 9:16 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 10:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but what are you talking about? Even if they become Canadian citizens, whatever they have done for the past years in the US sticks with them. They can't just magically become admissible after a deportation by changing passports.

What do you mean by 'there are ways around running (a business) from outside the country'?

Finally, if you wanted to live like an EWI Mexican, I'm sure you would've been treated the same. Sounds like you wanted to be treated like a legal resident though.
I honestly don't understand sometimes...
Old Aug 21st 2010, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by meauxna
Sorry, but what are you talking about? Even if they become Canadian citizens, whatever they have done for the past years in the US sticks with them. They can't just magically become admissible after a deportation by changing passports.

What do you mean by 'there are ways around running (a business) from outside the country'?

Finally, if you wanted to live like an EWI Mexican, I'm sure you would've been treated the same. Sounds like you wanted to be treated like a legal resident though.
I honestly don't understand sometimes...
I have an E2 investors visa , so I was actually living in USA legally. I chose to move back to Canada because the economy in the state we were in made it very hard to maintain living there off of our savings.

What I mean by you are able to run a business from outside USA, is that if you make the right contacts, and have people there that you can rely on, it is possible to keep something going in spite of it all. If you have worked hard for a number of years, you would not want to give it up just because you have been asked to leave the country.

I was not aware that the USA thing would follow then across the border, so allow for the fact when replying that we don;t all claim to know everything eh?
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I was not aware that the USA thing would follow then across the border, so allow for the fact when replying that we don;t all claim to know everything eh?
I was going to give a rip-snortin' reply full of P&V but your 'eh' was so cute I'll have to leave it. Peace?
When I'm discussing a topic I'm unsure of, I use questions to put ideas across instead of making declaratory statements, KWIM?

<-----US/Can dual

PS: do be careful about entering as a Canadian tourist visitor and working your old E-2 business, if that's what you were getting at. While you don't need a visa sticker, Canadian activities in the US have to be consistent with the B limitations.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by meauxna
I was going to give a rip-snortin' reply full of P&V but your 'eh' was so cute I'll have to leave it. Peace?
When I'm discussing a topic I'm unsure of, I use questions to put ideas across instead of making declaratory statements, KWIM?

<-----US/Can dual

PS: do be careful about entering as a Canadian tourist visitor and working your old E-2 business, if that's what you were getting at. While you don't need a visa sticker, Canadian activities in the US have to be consistent with the B limitations.
won't be doing that!