Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Having to move back after 17 years!

Having to move back after 17 years!

Old Aug 19th 2010, 12:53 am
Just Joined

expatagain2010 is just really niceexpatagain2010 is just really niceexpatagain2010 is just really niceexpatagain2010 is just really niceexpatagain2010 is just really niceexpatagain2010 is just really niceexpatagain2010 is just really niceexpatagain2010 is just really nice
Default Re: Having to move back after 17 years!

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
Ok so you knew you were in the USA illegally but still chose to start a business and now don’t like it because you’ve been caught out and have been told to get out, your comment re the Mexican illegal immigrants

suggests that you think you should be treated differently than other illegal immigrants just because you’re from the UK. Well here’s a reality check, you are no different from any illegal immigrant in any country in the world, get over it and accept that you broke the law in the USA and now have to leave. As for starting over again in the UK well, if you had left the USA when your application for residency was refused you wouldn’t be in that position now would you.

As for benefits in the UK, that is currently being reviewed by the Govt. so any answer today could be wrong in a month’s time. But it never ceases to amaze me how many people who have contributed nothing to the UK purse over the preceding years (17 in your case) want to know how much they can claim when they return.
As I said before when we lived in the UK we both contibuted plenty for almost 20 years which I here is more than a lot of illegals in the UK now are doing! Also dont asume what my comments mean. your comment re the Mexican illegal immigrants
suggests that you think you should be treated differently than other illegal immigrants just because you’re from the UK. Remenber the saying Dont make an ass out of you and me. You can read into what you like only I know the correct facts. By the way when were you in the US last?

Last edited by expatagain2010; Aug 19th 2010 at 12:57 am.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Expat, sorry about what has happened, but if you want peoples help then you have to not be so defensive.....I know you are angry and upset, I wish you well though and hope you can get home and start over.
We have a thread for people wanting to move back, different to your situation but take look 50s and 60s moving home. I have been here legally 13 years and worked for over 20 in the UK, I hope to go back and start over and i will take a job any job in order to do it. With regard to your money here i have no idea how you take it back, but if you have time read that thread i mention as I know it has been covered.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of

Have to just write and say, What replies were you expecting ?
You started work at 15 in the UK worked for 20 years, paid your taxes.
Lived in USA illegally once original visa ran out,
had a job and also ran an online business.
Now you have been caught and are being thrown out.

I feel for you I really do but read your post it sounds like USA has pissed you off so what can you get out of the UK, a country you probably don't even want to live in.

I can't imagine what it must be like to have to leave a country after 17 years especially as you had built up a business and have a home, friends etc.

I wish there was some way you could have obtained a visa to stay, maybe even getting a university degree in USA to help your case (when you were younger) not that I think age is a barrier to education.

Unfortunately time has passed by and the USA have decided it is time for you to leave, as according to them you have broken their rules, (this is true)

I have no idea unfortunately what you will get when you return to the UK.

Do you have to return here, what about else where in Europe, can you not apply for a visa for Canada do you have a specific skill and maybe you can run your NY business from there.

Unfortunately there are people all over the world who want to live in other countries, lots of them do this illegally. I can't imagine what would have happened if you fell ill, or were pulled by the police and asked to show papers etc..
I have no idea how you slept at night with all that worry about getting caught or for your future.

Anyway UK is not a bad place to live and hopefully on your return you will find employment etc. £10K is a good amount to come back with.

Don't bite at anyone who doesn't fall over themselves with sympathy for you as they have had years of applications/ form filling / hoops to go through etc
to get into their chosen countries.
Where as you took the Illegal route and got caught

Good luck where ever you decide to go,
just fill in the correct paperwork if not Europe
Old Aug 19th 2010, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatagain2010
No the product comes from New York.
What pisses me off is all the damm Mexicans who are still here and not paying taxes!
wow, couldn't have done better with a tutti-fruti boilie on a 1" hair with a pva bag of Scopex.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Aw nice post Sadie, says it all.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

As I said before when we lived in the UK we both contibuted plenty for almost 20 years which I here is more than a lot of illegals in the UK now are doing! Also dont asume what my comments mean. your comment re the Mexican illegal immigrants
suggests that you think you should be treated differently than other illegal immigrants just because you’re from the UK. Remenber the saying Dont make an ass out of you and me. You can read into what you like only I know the correct facts. By the way when were you in the US last?
What difference do the contributions you made in the UK 17 years ago make? And how would you know if they were smaller or larger than the amount paid into the system by anyone on here, you don’t.
You again seem to be making a distinction between your illegality in the USA and those that are in the UK illegally, IT IS THE SAME THING, you are an illegal immigrant.
I think you’re in a terrible situation, but it has been of your own making by investing in a country that you were not legally entitled to reside in. Similarly if in your original post you had asked what the employment situation in the UK was like, and not “and claim what we can” I would have viewed your post more sympathetically. Bottom line, you broke the law in the USA and got caught, and now you want the UK to dig you out of the hole you dug for yourself, as others have said, take some responsibility for the predicament you’re in.
And exactly what difference does it make when I was last in the USA? It has absolutely no bearing on your situation at all.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Kathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to all

You are going to love this!
any thoughts and any info on what we could get when we get there or any suggestions?
Clive & Val
Hi

I doubt you will be able to receive any financial help. When we returned from Oz and my husband couldn't find a job, he was not able to claim anything, because he hadn't paid any NI contributions here for the last 2 years. It did not matter what NI contributions he had paid previously, they look at the last 2 years.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 8:44 am
Just Joined

expatagain2010 is just really niceexpatagain2010 is just really niceexpatagain2010 is just really niceexpatagain2010 is just really niceexpatagain2010 is just really niceexpatagain2010 is just really niceexpatagain2010 is just really niceexpatagain2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
What difference do the contributions you made in the UK 17 years ago make? And how would you know if they were smaller or larger than the amount paid into the system by anyone on here, you don’t.
You again seem to be making a distinction between your illegality in the USA and those that are in the UK illegally, IT IS THE SAME THING, you are an illegal immigrant.
I think you’re in a terrible situation, but it has been of your own making by investing in a country that you were not legally entitled to reside in. Similarly if in your original post you had asked what the employment situation in the UK was like, and not “and claim what we can” I would have viewed your post more sympathetically. Bottom line, you broke the law in the USA and got caught, and now you want the UK to dig you out of the hole you dug for yourself, as others have said, take some responsibility for the predicament you’re in.
And exactly what difference does it make when I was last in the USA? It has absolutely no bearing on your situation at all.
I think your twat alarm says it all you are one!
Old Aug 19th 2010, 8:48 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Are you here for help, or to insult everyone who you haven't manged to do so already?
Please review the site rules, particularly #1.

thank you,
Moderatrix
Old Aug 19th 2010, 9:06 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kathryn V
It did not matter what NI contributions he had paid previously, they look at the last 2 years.
Things have probably changed since I claimed, but I thought the two years was for claiming non-means tested benefit, but should still be able to claim means tested and non-contributory benefits.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 9:27 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Are you here for help, or to insult everyone who you haven't manged to do so already?
Please review the site rules, particularly #1.

thank you,
Moderatrix
You must be American, you asked the question in a multiple-choice format.
Old Aug 19th 2010, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

CelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond reputeCelticRover has a reputation beyond repute

No the product comes from New York.
What pisses me off is all the damm Mexicans who are still here and not paying taxes!

Reality check. Actually they do pay taxes, not withstanding the constant claims to the contrary.

Regards.

http://www.truth-out.org/undocumente...-benefits59264
Old Aug 19th 2010, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

I like to read a well written response to someone who has a different viewpoint, are you going to write one?
Old Aug 20th 2010, 12:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

This may be news to you but it's worth knowing. The UK, along with every other country where the populace pay taxes, don't have a savings account system. What you paid in 17 years ago or whenever it was you were there paid for services, both national and local whilst you were there. It doesn't go into an account for you to call on 17 years later when you've got yourself into illegal bother in another country. You have no idea how much I or anyone else was earning 17 years ago.

It's not America's fault that you broke the law, it's yours. I hope you find the information you require somewhere but I don't think it will happen here. Too many people pay taxes and stay inside the law and therefore don't have much sympathy for someone in your predicament
Old Aug 20th 2010, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

But what he paid in NI contributions will help towards his UK pension later.....if they return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.