Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Happy to make the decision to go home.

Happy to make the decision to go home.

Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:35 am
Just Joined

ninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really niceninakula is just really nice
Default Re: Happy to make the decision to go home.

Hi,
I just wanted to add my 2 penneth worth if that is ok!!!

I left the UK in 2002 after 8 years of planning and saving. My husband, myself and 2 young children finally moved to the USA to live the "dream".

That dream became a nightmare almost immediately! In order to get a visa we had to buy a business - the one we purchased was checked out by lawyers etc but still turned out to be a con!! We fortunately still had a business running under management in the UK (which finished a year later), so although we lost everything in the States within 12 months (including my husbands pension) we moved and started again - I took my exams and became an estate agent and made a lot of money - for 6 months we did finally live the dream - then it all came tumbling down again. Again, I fought back and managed to get a well paid managerial job - this time though it was illegal as my visa did not allow me to do this and, as my visa was due to expire, we finally had to admit defeat.

All of my family told me I would be mad to return to the UK - they told me to try somewhere in Europe... "Portugal is wonderful - the new hot place to be" so - taking advice, that is where we moved to....

If you think Canada, the USA or anywhere else is bad... try Portugal!!! I have never actually "hated" anywhere I have lived and that includes South Africa, Spain, USA - but this place takes the biscuit!! If anywhere can make you appreciate "home" then Portugal can.

The long and short is that the UK is not too bad in reality - yes, we have our problems, but we should still hold our heads up high and be proud of where we come from - and more of us should speak out about how good the UK is and stop letting the media run it down all the time.

As for us - well, we have lost everything - I can't even sell my furniture over here so will have to leave it. I have not been able to find a job and as I have been out of the UK I do not have any credit references so I am struggling to find a place to rent - all in all it is a black picture - but I cannot wait to get back regardless - and I shall never want to leave again.

Good Luck to all returning to the UK - and role on 2012 - when we shall show the world how good we are
Old Jan 31st 2009, 12:39 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninakula
Hi,

I left the UK in 2002 after 8 years of planning and saving. My husband, myself and 2 young children finally moved to the USA to live the "dream".

That dream became a nightmare almost immediately! In order to get a visa we had to buy a business - the one we purchased was checked out by lawyers etc but still turned out to be a con!! We fortunately still had a business running under management in the UK (which finished a year later), so although we lost everything in the States within 12 months (including my husbands pension) we moved and started again - I took my exams and became an estate agent and made a lot of money - for 6 months we did finally live the dream - then it all came tumbling down again. Again, I fought back and managed to get a well paid managerial job - this time though it was illegal as my visa did not allow me to do this and, as my visa was due to expire, we finally had to admit defeat.

All of my family told me I would be mad to return to the UK - they told me to try somewhere in Europe... "Portugal is wonderful - the new hot place to be" so - taking advice, that is where we moved to....

If you think Canada, the USA or anywhere else is bad... try Portugal!!! I have never actually "hated" anywhere I have lived and that includes South Africa, Spain, USA - but this place takes the biscuit!! If anywhere can make you appreciate "home" then Portugal can.

The long and short is that the UK is not too bad in reality - yes, we have our problems, but we should still hold our heads up high and be proud of where we come from - and more of us should speak out about how good the UK is and stop letting the media run it down all the time.

As for us - well, we have lost everything - I can't even sell my furniture over here so will have to leave it. I have not been able to find a job and as I have been out of the UK I do not have any credit references so I am struggling to find a place to rent - all in all it is a black picture - but I cannot wait to get back regardless - and I shall never want to leave again.

Good Luck to all returning to the UK - and role on 2012 - when we shall show the world how good we are
WOW!!!............Dont really know what else to say...other then you obviously are one tuff cookie And if you can kick butt in the US , then i carn't see why you carn't kick butt here too...and succeed

And as alot of us keep saying maybe we have to move away, to realise just what we have in the Uk and be able to appreciate it..
As far as renting and credit history goes.....try looking for people who have their houses up for rent themselves, rather then through an agent eg local papers or on here on ex-pats people are looking to rent because they carn't sell. Good Luck
Old Jan 31st 2009, 6:55 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninakula
Hi,

A case of never letting adversity get the better of you.

Good luck with it, and for the future, you deserve it after the resolve you've shown.

Even trying to learn Portugese is a trial.