Wikiposts

Greetings from the UK

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greetings from the UK

Originally Posted by lisag8070
Yep love playing chess...but nobody to play with unfortunately....
Move to NYC, you can go to some of the parks & get a game. All day everyday. Washington Sq Pk always has about 20 people playing, few hustlers for money.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 5:29 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freezerman
I have to admit that my experience with American employer is somewhat different to yours, they suggested I use part of the 10 days of remaining vacation time up while I am there and go see my folks, and on the degree thing, they dont care that I havent got a degree, what they care about is the 14 years of games biz experience I have.
I think it is dangerous to generalise about America & Americans, they really arent all the same.
It is dangerous to generalise but I am going to do it anyway. Minnesotans are far more caring than the residents of many other states.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Funny read.I guess its true that the Brits are critical of everything on earth and beyond.There was a study in Europe conducted which poll the most negative/critical people of any nation and funny enough the Brits ranked #1 on the list.You Brits are good people but MAN do you guys complain about everything!!You even beat the French which is no small accomplishment.
Don't get me wrong - with the exception of the utterly ridiculous "work ethic" and vacation time offered, which I will forever have problems with, I generally enjoy living in the states.

But, coming back to the UK has made me realise how much of it I miss.

And complaining? Sure, Brits as a nation like a good old moan to raise the spirits! Its generally because as a rule we're not afraid to admit when somethings not brilliant, and maintaining a false rosy outlook does noone any good if you ask me. But, the compaining is generally about wider issues. Personally, I'd say I've seen more complaining/whining about little things in the states - especially in restaurants, etc. And you only have to look at some of the ridiculous lawsuits and lawyers who take them on in the US - they take complaining to a whole new level.

Last edited by Dan725; Nov 22nd 2007 at 6:24 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Don't get me wrong - with the exception of the utterly ridiculous "work ethic" and vacation time offered, which I will forever have problems with, I generally enjoy living in the states.
For what it's worth, this Yank agrees with you on the work ethic (in my case working A LOT) and vacation time offered. I'm fortunate in that my employer allows us to "buy" a week of unpaid time off ... so I have 3 weeks paid and 1 week unpaid per year. Not as good as in Europe - but at least better than 2 weeks.

Wish that would change, but I don't see it happening.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007

Me neither - I guess its just something we have to live with
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:23 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
For what it's worth, this Yank agrees with you on the work ethic (in my case working A LOT) and vacation time offered. I'm fortunate in that my employer allows us to "buy" a week of unpaid time off ... so I have 3 weeks paid and 1 week unpaid per year. Not as good as in Europe - but at least better than 2 weeks.

Now that I'm back in England, people want to know why I didn't like it in the States. They can't believe it when I tell them about the annual leave. In the States, I didn't get any, here I get 29 days paid leave a year, plus 8 paid bank holidays. Not to mention 3 months full sick pay, 3 months half sick pay (should I need it), compassionate leave, excellent maternity leave (not that I'll ever need that again!).

Plus I get paid twice as much here in the UK & our living expenses are the same & the benefits are great (Child benefit, child tax credits, working tax credits, council tax benefits...)

Then there's the wonderful NHS. Since I've been back, I've noticed just how far behind Tyler is in his development. The health visitor referred him to see a paediatrician, who did a developmental review. He now has to be referred to 4 different specialties, I dread to think how much this would have cost us in the States. At least without the thought of the expensive, I can concentrate solely on helping Tyler.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:16 am
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
... Plus I get paid twice as much here in the UK & our living expenses are the same & the benefits are great (Child benefit, child tax credits, working tax credits, council tax benefits...)

Then there's the wonderful NHS.
Makes me think that if the US also provided these many benefits, how many Eastern Europeans and immigrants from the Middle East would flood en mass over American soil?

And America has far more space to accommodate this inflow than the UK!

---
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:25 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britex01
Makes me think that if the US also provided these many benefits, how many Eastern Europeans and immigrants from the Middle East would flood en mass over American soil?

And America has far more space to accommodate this inflow than the UK!

---
USCIS would have to start letting them in first.
More like the flood of Mexicans would become a tidal wave.

Chance be a fine thing that the US would offer these benefits.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:37 pm
Pompey Boy

gazzpfc will become famous soon enough

We have friends who left Torquay area a few years back as think it suffered from that kind of bloomin blight you can get at seaside spots.
They leave in Corfe Mullen thats a cracking area in fact a lot of Dorset coast I would vouch for ahead of Devon these days.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:50 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazzpfc
We have friends who left Torquay area a few years back as think it suffered from that kind of bloomin blight you can get at seaside spots.
They leave in Corfe Mullen thats a cracking area in fact a lot of Dorset coast I would vouch for ahead of Devon these days.
We also have friends who have lived in Barton and worked in Torquay all their lives, but have now moved on to Dorset and love it.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:52 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
Move to NYC, you can go to some of the parks & get a game. All day everyday. Washington Sq Pk always has about 20 people playing, few hustlers for money.
Reg. Frank R.
I'd love to do that...but alas its chess on the computer for me...
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:58 pm
Pompey Boy

gazzpfc will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
We also have friends who have lived in Barton and worked in Torquay all their lives, but have now moved on to Dorset and love it.
Its nice indeed when we leave USA we are probably headed to Spain(my mothers family) get my daughter fluent in Spanish then head back to UK we may well sale up in Southsea and move those 70 or so miles along to some of the nice spots.
If of course sun hasn't made us want to never leave Spain.
We have not been here long couple of months but relly can't see us lasting more than 2-3 years.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:22 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazzpfc
Its nice indeed when we leave USA we are probably headed to Spain(my mothers family) get my daughter fluent in Spanish then head back to UK we may well sale up in Southsea and move those 70 or so miles along to some of the nice spots.
If of course sun hasn't made us want to never leave Spain.
We have not been here long couple of months but relly can't see us lasting more than 2-3 years.
Woohoo, Southsea eh. We stayed in The Trust House Forte Hotel there many years ago. It holds 'special' memories. in BTW, the sun doesn't always shine in Spain, believe me.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:24 pm
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by lisag8070
I'd love to do that...but alas its chess on the computer for me...
I can play chess and thoroughly enjoy a game, but I'm not much good I don't think. Why don't you challenge someone to a game online? Shakymaty (Carl) is a Chess Tutor, so he's probably your best bet. Could be fun.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
I can play chess and thoroughly enjoy a game, but I'm not much good I don't think. Why don't you challenge someone to a game online? Shakymaty (Carl) is a Chess Tutor, so he's probably your best bet. Could be fun.
I was just going to point her in Carl's direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.