Greetings from the UK

Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Greetings from the UK

Hello from completely wet through and dark and gloomy UK! I'm currently working here for 5 weeks - I fly back to the US on the 23rd of Dec - just in time for a shitty Christmas Got here on Sunday morning.

This is only the second trip I've taken here in 3 years, and the only one that will last more than 5 days.

So what do I know? In no particular order....

Well, the weather might be rubbish.....but it doesn't bother me. Everyone here seems less hurried - people go to the pub to relax rather than for a frantic meal before rushing off elsewhere.

People are walking around town - and I mean really walking, at high speeds because they are getting from A to B in the cold weather - rather than shuffling along doing the gangsta walk from their car to the entrance of Target, after they have waited in their car for 10 mins for the spot nearest the door.

People are not seen getting shitfaced then getting into their cars to drive home.

You can order a "Cheese Salad Baguette" - and be asked no further questions. No five choices of bread, no "What exactly do you want on it" and what kind of cheese etc...aaaagrh! - none of that shit unless you specifically choose to be picky. In which case the person behind the counter will probably think you are a tosser...

There is a sense of national identity with issues facing the country - everyone might not have seen the TV last night, but everyone is at least vaguely aware of the issues on the news. No one says "Huh"? and you have to explain, in excruiating detail, for the next half an hour. Give them a few lines on the subject, and they'll pick it up. Doesn't matter what it is - sport, immigration, whatever - just about everyone knows about the main news items.

Large proportion of people I know are living in small houses and driving P reg cars - yet they don't care. Likewise, they don't care about impressing the boss or working all hours. Likewise, the bosses are generally not over impressed with martyrs and seem at least a little bit interested in the welfare of their employees vs the company.

Even real careerist people in the UK are gobmsacked to hear about the 2 weeks off a year in the US. They've seen it on TV that the Americans really live it up on holiday. Well, what they don't know is that was just a long weekend. Or, if the long weekend is bad, the complete and utter upset...because they haven't enough vacation left to try something else.

People are not that impressed I'm currently doing a Masters degree - more like "Really, haven't you got anything better to do with your spare time? Its experience that matters...." - Music to my ears. But, it'd never wash in the US.

You go to sign a contract on a flat lease for a month. Laid on the small 2 page document are all of the terms, and price markups that you will or will not have to pay. No additional waffly bullshit crap in an incredibly poor attempt to trip you up as you wade through 20 pages+. Takes you 5 mins to fill in. If only in the US.....

Even though there is no Thanksgiving here, the Christmas season is coming and everyone is already talking about what they are going to be doing over Christmas/New Year in a composite sense, and where they are going. A conversation that does not happen in the US....as most peoples answer will be "Going back to work on the 26th till the first, then back on the 2nd". Although I am looking forward to getting back to my family......I am pleased I am here during the Christmas build up period at least!

I can actually speak to people and they understand what I say, first time, every time. I have realised I do not have to make a physical effort to pronounce certain words. I don't have to say Wadder. I can say my name is Dan - and people don't think I said Don.

On the TV last night was a big expose program on "Neds" in Scotland. While they look a bunch of tossers and seem to stab an awful lot of people, they are no worse than those limping, shuffling, gold wearing dickheads who you seen in any major US city. Britain gone to the Dogs? Its what the media would like you to think. If the US media was equally self critical, and there was actually a sense of national identity in the US rather than pretend flag waving serving as a poor substitute, it'd be all over the US news too.

So, what do I know? I know I'm home. Am I a bit rose tinted just now? Probably. Would it bother me that if we moved back here, and I'd have to give up my comparatively large house and nice cars, etc? It might. Would the sense of belonging soon overcome those problems? I think so. Would my wife like it, long term? Not sure.

I just hope my little daughter has the chance, as she grows up, to be able to experience the UK for at least a reasonable amount of time, and see some of the things in the UK that I do. Someone on here once called the UK "A worn old armchair that you can't quite bring yourself to throw out". I'd agree with that wholeheartedly!
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:37 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice
Default Re: Greetings from the UK

Howdy neighbor.

Great read

With my oldest moving there next year, I've become very interested in mud island.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:43 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Hello from completely wet through and dark and gloomy UK! I'm currently working here for 5 weeks - I fly back to the US on the 23rd of Dec - just in time for a shitty Christmas Got here on Sunday morning.

This is only the second trip I've taken here in 3 years, and the only one that will last more than 5 days.

So what do I know? In no particular order....

Well, the weather might be rubbish.....but it doesn't bother me. Everyone here seems less hurried - people go to the pub to relax rather than for a frantic meal before rushing off elsewhere.

People are walking around town - and I mean really walking, at high speeds because they are getting from A to B in the cold weather - rather than shuffling along doing the gangsta walk from their car to the entrance of Target, after they have waited in their car for 10 mins for the spot nearest the door.

People are not seen getting shitfaced then getting into their cars to drive home.

You can order a "Cheese Salad Baguette" - and be asked no further questions. No five choices of bread, no "What exactly do you want on it" and what kind of cheese etc...aaaagrh! - none of that shit unless you specifically choose to be picky. In which case the person behind the counter will probably think you are a tosser...

There is a sense of national identity with issues facing the country - everyone might not have seen the TV last night, but everyone is at least vaguely aware of the issues on the news. No one says "Huh"? and you have to explain, in excruiating detail, for the next half an hour. Give them a few lines on the subject, and they'll pick it up. Doesn't matter what it is - sport, immigration, whatever - just about everyone knows about the main news items.

Large proportion of people I know are living in small houses and driving P reg cars - yet they don't care. Likewise, they don't care about impressing the boss or working all hours. Likewise, the bosses are generally not over impressed with martyrs and seem at least a little bit interested in the welfare of their employees vs the company.

Even real careerist people in the UK are gobmsacked to hear about the 2 weeks off a year in the US. They've seen it on TV that the Americans really live it up on holiday. Well, what they don't know is that was just a long weekend. Or, if the long weekend is bad, the complete and utter upset...because they haven't enough vacation left to try something else.

People are not that impressed I'm currently doing a Masters degree - more like "Really, haven't you got anything better to do with your spare time? Its experience that matters...." - Music to my ears. But, it'd never wash in the US.

You go to sign a contract on a flat lease for a month. Laid on the small 2 page document are all of the terms, and price markups that you will or will not have to pay. No additional waffly bullshit crap in an incredibly poor attempt to trip you up as you wade through 20 pages+. Takes you 5 mins to fill in. If only in the US.....

Even though there is no Thanksgiving here, the Christmas season is coming and everyone is already talking about what they are going to be doing over Christmas/New Year in a composite sense, and where they are going. A conversation that does not happen in the US....as most peoples answer will be "Going back to work on the 26th till the first, then back on the 2nd". Although I am looking forward to getting back to my family......I am pleased I am here during the Christmas build up period at least!

I can actually speak to people and they understand what I say, first time, every time. I have realised I do not have to make a physical effort to pronounce certain words. I don't have to say Wadder. I can say my name is Dan - and people don't think I said Don.

On the TV last night was a big expose program on "Neds" in Scotland. While they look a bunch of tossers and seem to stab an awful lot of people, they are no worse than those limping, shuffling, gold wearing dickheads who you seen in any major US city. Britain gone to the Dogs? Its what the media would like you to think. If the US media was equally self critical, and there was actually a sense of national identity in the US rather than pretend flag waving serving as a poor substitute, it'd be all over the US news too.

So, what do I know? I know I'm home. Am I a bit rose tinted just now? Probably. Would it bother me that if we moved back here, and I'd have to give up my comparatively large house and nice cars, etc? It might. Would the sense of belonging soon overcome those problems? I think so. Would my wife like it, long term? Not sure.

I just hope my little daughter has the chance, as she grows up, to be able to experience the UK for at least a reasonable amount of time, and see some of the things in the UK that I do. Someone on here once called the UK "A worn old armchair that you can't quite bring yourself to throw out". I'd agree with that wholeheartedly!
blah blah blah rose tinted spectacles blah blah blah america is wonderful blah blah blah president bush came to my house yesterday and made me waffles because my life in America is so wonderful blah blah blah NHS sucks blah blah blah UK is horrible blah blah chavs blah blah ginger blah blah.

Did I miss anything?

Hopefully not - so I won't rain on your parade (although it seems to be raining anyway!)

Enjoy your time back home! Fascinating seeing what it's like from your perspective.

Last edited by Roland Hulme; Nov 20th 2007 at 8:46 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like a good trip...but what about the curries?
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
blah blah blah rose tinted spectacles blah blah blah america is wonderful blah blah blah president bush came to my house yesterday and made me waffles because my life in America is so wonderful blah blah blah NHS sucks blah blah blah UK is horrible blah blah chavs blah blah ginger blah blah.

Did I miss anything?

Hopefully not - so I won't rain on your parade (although it seems to be raining anyway!)

Enjoy your time back home!
Haha, I'm watching you Roland....you already made you "small concession" to everythings not quite so brilliant in the US - so we'll see how you go over the years!! Hmm, then again, if you don't think you can buy a house in NJ, and thats an aim of yours, I'd advise you give the UK (and especially Oxford ) a miss!
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Well thats funny you should ask Bob - I've just come from the pub via the Indian!
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:52 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well thats funny you should ask Bob - I've just come from the pub via the Indian!
Ok stop rubbing it in….
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:53 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did I miss anything?

Enjoy your time back home! Fascinating seeing what it's like from your perspective.
Not having a good day RH?
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:55 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Give the curries a miss to much syrup and crap in them these days Chinese is still good though.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hatfield1
Not having a good day RH?
No, I think the Canada Ducks have gotten to him again Not seen any of them here, by the way!
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:17 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, I'm watching you Roland....you already made you "small concession" to everythings not quite so brilliant in the US - so we'll see how you go over the years!! Hmm, then again, if you don't think you can buy a house in NJ, and thats an aim of yours, I'd advise you give the UK (and especially Oxford ) a miss!
I know one person who got a FREE house in Oxford - a council house.

But for us working men... Oxford's scary. Winchester was even scarier!

But even in a palatial manor house in Angleterre, there's no insane property tax. Like, three grand a year I could live with. $22,000 my BIL law pays here in Jersey.

THAT'S INSANE.

But who wants to buy a house anyway?

And yes, I've been having an exhasperating day at work. It has coloured my whole outlook!
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...I'd advise you give the UK (and especially Oxford ) a miss!
tell me about it, unless you want to live in blackbird leyes or garsington....even cowley and headington aren't cheap these days...
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I know one person who got a FREE house in Oxford - a council house.

But for us working men... Oxford's scary. Winchester was even scarier!
speaking of working men, when I was tempting for yutaka, a bloke there lived in a trailer so he could afford a brand new merc...that must have been a let down for the birds he was pulling
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:30 pm
Militant Ginger

Originally Posted by Bob
speaking of working men, when I was tempting for yutaka, a bloke there lived in a trailer so he could afford a brand new merc...that must have been a let down for the birds he was pulling
Oh.

My.

God.

I have friends in Winchester who make good money - they drive crappy ten year old cars so they can afford to live in a nice house.

Doing the opposite?

Retarded.

In my opinion.

And you're right about the women! although by the time he's driven them there, it's a bit late.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
tell me about it, unless you want to live in blackbird leyes or garsington....even cowley and headington aren't cheap these days...
I used to live in Stadhampton... or StudHampton as we fondly named it (cos we were two vain students house sharing..) You brought back some memories for me just mentioning the names Cowley and Headington.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.