Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is the grass always going to be greener??

Wikiposts

Is the grass always going to be greener??

Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Nottinghill is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Is the grass always going to be greener??

Originally Posted by marcpiano
Depends on your mindset - I was negative in the UK, came out to Australia positive and my gradual cynicism and jaded nature kicked in again - I found fault in that which others would find favour.

So it really does depend on an attitude adjustment - when I return to the UK (with a career lined up) I'll know exactly what to expect, both good and bad. This time, however, life has taught me in the importance of perception and perspective. So I'll focus on the positives and avoid, as far as possible, exposure to that which set me into the negative last time.

Also remembering that 99.9% of what is in the media has no personal or direct effect on you helps, no matter which country you're in.
"This time, however, life has taught me " ....I would be very sceptical. I am a veteran with what? 5!!! moves across the water - lock stock and barrel.
And still uncertain and panting for England's smelly delights!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Nottinghill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is the grass always going to be greener??

Originally Posted by franki
Hi,

I moved back to UK with my USC and 2 kids a year ago after living in US for 7 years or so. I was quite miserable in US, not at first but after about 4 years or so. I think I became more miserable after my mum died whilst we were in UK visiting and then 6 months later my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer. I knew I had to be here in UK to be close to my dad. Thankfully, he's now fine.

Well, we've been here a year, bought a house etc. My hubby is completely miserable. He hates his job and the fact that he's earning less than half he was in US. The cars we drive are pretty much bangers. I have to work evenings and weekends so don't get enough time to spend with kids of hubby. Our mortgage is massive so don't have any spare money for holidays etc.

If you are thinking of moviI feel so much guilt about dragging my family back here and wish we could have our life back in USng back to US
with nice house and nice cars. I know material things aren't everything but I know I'd be able to give my kids more over there, including time. I'm pretty sure they'd have a better life.

I'm not even sure if it's an option to go back as we don't have the money. I didn't apply for a re entry visa as we thought this was a permanent move so probably have to apply from scratch for residency.

It seems like it would be a good time to do it though with the low cost of houses in US and exchange rate. Will I feel the same again though? I know it's an impossible question for anyone to answer but you guys really helped me when I was moving this way so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If you are thinking of moving back to US come to "Gods own Texas". Jobs gallore, and homes? Here "affordable" goes with "beautiful". You can check on www.mls.com
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 2:50 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Have you been reading my mind? This is so much like me. One of my boys has emigrated back to UK for exactly the same reasons as your son and the other lad did his "this is boring" bit and headed off for nearly a year but now has decided that being self sufficient in the bush is the way to go.
I have often thought of living out in the bush and trying to be self -sufficient ,but after much self examination i came to realise it was the crass materialism of australia i was trying to run away from .
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by king kong
I have often thought of living out in the bush and trying to be self -sufficient ,but after much self examination i came to realise it was the crass materialism of australia i was trying to run away from .
That is the excuse that DS2 gives for his rather weird predilictions for composting toilets and solar powered everything! He is building something to live in which will never pass the planning regulartions but he is happy at the moment, wandering around the bush, shooting bunnies and kangaroos and building a home. What a waste of a good degree I reckon!!!! Anyway he and his partner and my adorable granddaughter seem very happy with their choice in life!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grevillia
Ah, I was visiting in Cambridge only a couple of weeks ago. Traffic just as bad as ever, but there's a beautiful new John Lewis store on St Andrews St now. And the spring flowers along The Backs were a fine sight...
Now you are making me feel sad - I adore the daffs along the backs, so bright and cheerful and full of hope. Looking forward to having a look at the new JL as well - it's been a big hole for some time now. Thank goodness for the Park and Ride I reckon!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 9:28 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Park and ride is a good system. I just wish to god they weren't hell bent on creating enough congestion to justify a congestion charge.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Beryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by king kong
Very surprised to see you posting again Beryl as i used to follow some of your posts while you lived here in perth and they were very thought provoking and if there was one person i wouldnt see posting again it would have been you .
It just shows how fragile our minds are when it comes to migrating and returning etc .
We have just come back yesterday from a five week trip around the uk ,with trips to bournemouth ,wimborne ,poole ,purbeck hills ,south wales ,lake windermere,edinburgh ,musselburgh ,glasgow ,hexham,corbridge,berwick upon tweed,coldstream,jedburgh,bamburgh castle,whitby,scarborough,carlisle,lindisfarne,and york .
I have touched on a few places we went in five weeks and not for one minute was we bored and not for one minute was we thinking of perth and if we had of done it would have been ''how far would i get in five weeks from perth if driving ?''.
I have no advice to give but if i could say one thing it would be take a few weeks off and load the car up and travel around the wonderful country they call britain and stay at little B&B,s and youll discover the country you know is home .
Hi KK - sorry I didn't respond to your post - I've been off line for a while! Well, if I'd known you were going to be in Wimborne, you could have come for a cup of tea! That's where I live!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:21 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the title of this thread, it has to be said. Sometimes the grass really is greener, thicker and lusher on the other side.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:43 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beryl the Peril
Hi KK - sorry I didn't respond to your post - I've been off line for a while! Well, if I'd known you were going to be in Wimborne, you could have come for a cup of tea! That's where I live!
Its a lovely spot [dorset] and i dont think i would consider returning to aussie or elsewhere and potentialy leave one of the prettiest counties in england .
While i was there i enjoyed a few pints at the The Fox not far from wimborne and we had a great evening .
I just hope you come to your senses and dont get too sucked in by the doom and gloom media hype in the uk ,which i found extremly irritating almost as irritating as the never ending regurgitating of the daylight saving here and how it affects the cows.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Not necessarily, we moved to NS, Canada in 2002, had a baby in 2003, got incredibly homesick for the Uk and moved back there late 2003. Within about six months we knew we had made a mistake and in 2004 we moved back to Ontario, Canada.

When in NS we only used to remember the good things about the UK and forgot about all the reasons why we left in the first place, we also had many romantic notions about how it would be with family and grandchildren etc, truth was we couldn't afford to live anywhere near our family in the South east. We definitely had rose coloured specs on.

Since coming back here, three years later we are so happy we can't believe it....thank goodness we went back to the UK though as now we know for absolutely sure that this was the right move for us, I can honestly say I rarely miss it now.

HTH
Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

del k has a spectacular aura aboutdel k has a spectacular aura aboutdel k has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by daisymoll
Not necessarily, we moved to NS, Canada in 2002, had a baby in 2003, got incredibly homesick for the Uk and moved back there late 2003. Within about six months we knew we had made a mistake and in 2004 we moved back to Ontario, Canada.

When in NS we only used to remember the good things about the UK and forgot about all the reasons why we left in the first place, we also had many romantic notions about how it would be with family and grandchildren etc, truth was we couldn't afford to live anywhere near our family in the South east. We definitely had rose coloured specs on.

Since coming back here, three years later we are so happy we can't believe it....thank goodness we went back to the UK though as now we know for absolutely sure that this was the right move for us, I can honestly say I rarely miss it now.

HTH
Don't know how to quote! Will give this a try.....
Daisymoll, do you think you needed to LIVE in the UK again compared to going for a "make your mind up holiday" to be sure you had made the right choice in returning to Canada? I ask because we are about to return to the UK to live for homesickness reasons and also because neither of us is 100% sure we want to stay in Oz but we're also not sure we will be going back for good either. We feel we need to live there again to decide properly.