Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is the grass always going to be greener??

Wikiposts

Is the grass always going to be greener??

Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is the grass always going to be greener??

I completely identify with beryl - you feel like you're the only one who's changed and grown and that makes you not fit back where everything else is the same, even though you might want to.

ctb and beryl, it sounds like somewhere else in Europe might fit you better.
Having lived all over the UK, SA (not recommended AT ALL for reasons of crime and insanity) and now Spain, i must say it's nice to be in the sun, be safe and [I]near to everything for travel.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 12:39 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beryl the Peril
Well, ctb, you have really hit the nail on the head! You could be me talking and oh boy, it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one feeling like a square peg in a round hole. This is so difficult to explain to anyone, but you have really described exactly how I've been feeling. Very, very weired coming back to the UK. I so longed to get here, but now I am having real doubts. Trying to re-settle is proving to be much more difficult than I would ever have realised! Yes, it's GREAT to see friends and family again, but once the honeymoon period is over (we've been back for 7 months now), it's a bit like 'ok, we've seen you now' and everyone just gets on with their lives. In the meantime, you feel like you've made this big change by living abroad, you come back and apart from yourself, nothing else has changed. There is no doubt, this can make you feel very odd.

I think what I have concluded is that I COULD live abroad again, and just visit England to see everyone on a more regular basis. I think when we moved to Perth, we emigrated lock stock and barrel. Psychologically this just panicked me. I thought I can't leave my friends and family permanently, but since being back in the UK - I feel all out of sorts and got itchy feet again! What a confused position we put ourselves in. I'm sure there must be many people in the same boat, hence the famous ping-pong poms expression!
Hi Beryl...you must remember how you felt in Perth though, bored out of your tree!!!
I understand where you are coming from, but those you left behind in the UK are just getting on with their lives, just as we should. I am due to go back in August, i know it is because i miss everyone and that life in Perth for us is dull...but i'm not expecting them to fuss over us all the time...but just knowing they are there to talk to, to see whenever you want makes all the difference. I like my own space anyway.
Once we get back it will be for good, even if i get ichy feet! Moving backwards and forwards just isn't healthy. I know what it's like to live there and to be honest OZ in my opinion is just a bigger and hotter place.
Anyway, that's my thought's
p.s...grass is greener in UK, it's fried here.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Hi Beryl...you must remember how you felt in Perth though, bored out of your tree!!!
I understand where you are coming from, but those you left behind in the UK are just getting on with their lives, just as we should. I am due to go back in August, i know it is because i miss everyone and that life in Perth for us is dull...but i'm not expecting them to fuss over us all the time...but just knowing they are there to talk to, to see whenever you want makes all the difference. I like my own space anyway.
Once we get back it will be for good, even if i get ichy feet! Moving backwards and forwards just isn't healthy. I know what it's like to live there and to be honest OZ in my opinion is just a bigger and hotter place.
Anyway, that's my thought's
p.s...grass is greener in UK, it's fried here.
Nu Shooz...good post, I started to read this thread and thought "god" that might be me!! but you have put things into prospective...we love our family and have always missed them but we did not live in each others pockets at all...it will be nice to know they are there when needed and visa versa.....we enjoy our own company as well and when home we go off and do our own thing and certainly don't expect to be treated any differently just because we are back home..family is only one of a few reasons why we are heading home....could I ping pong?....no..honestly for my sanity!!!(could not go through this again for all the tea in china) if it's not working back home we will fix it as best we can....if anything living here and going through what we have has made us wiser...and Older!!!!!!!! and yes bored out of our trees!!!!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

del k has a spectacular aura aboutdel k has a spectacular aura aboutdel k has a spectacular aura about

I think it is a lot about finding contentment within yourself.
I thought I wanted to stay here (Perth) with husband and 2 kids until we started the selling process for our house back in the UK then I panicked. Throughout our time here I've gone thorough cycles of either feeling really settled or utter despair due to homesickness and missing my family. My husband is happy to go back to the UK as we had a really good life there before and only came here "for a change!", so we now plan to return with PR later this year. The only thing is I wish it was a more clear cut decision in my mind. This isn't home and I do feel like an outsider some days but I like the lifestyle and I love the life my little girls have. I have made really good friends who I will be gutted to leave but we have so many estalished friendships back in the UK that I'm not ready to give up or lose through passage of time and our absense. My family are all delighted we're coming home and it will be fab to be back to being part of an extended family again, especially the grandparent/grandchild aspect. Ooh, and willing babysitters! I also miss that feeling of belonging and "the banter". I miss the doorbell ringing and having a friendly face waiting on the doorstep to come in for coffee and a chat. I'm waffling but what I want to say is that now I've been here, am I ever going to be content wherever we go. Will I always be making comparisons and wondering what if, i hope not. I hope we go back to Scotland and can make changes for the better and do more of the things that we've enjoyed in Oz and try to get less het up about things that don't matter or things we can't change like the weather. I certainly will be trying to avoid the news! We are returning to a beautiful part of the world and good jobs and a nice house so no worries in that respect but always going to wondering if it's been the best thing to do for the kids I suppose. They are 5 and 3.
Just wish I felt 100% sure one way or the other but don't think I ever will, I think it's just the way I am. We will have PR though so at least we have options.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:31 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the several posts that say you have to find happiness within yourself (or at least ask yourself seriously whether your discontent is at least partly about yourself rather than your situation). I'm not one for psychobabble, but in the past 20 months after MBTTUK I have certainly learned a lot about myself and been able to recognise parts of ME that have led to discontent (maybe you could call it a "grass is greener" outlook).

I think achieving an understanding of where your "grass is greener" thoughts are coming from is crucial to making the right decisions for yourself and your family. As a serial ping-ponger (I actually don't count my first move, because it was for completely objective reasons, i.e., no work for teachers back in the UK of the early 80s), I've been through the whole range of emotions and objective reasoning (oh yes, I have lots of for/against, here/there lists!). I absolutely, definitely believe that there is a point below which it is very difficult to be "happy, regardless" - if you are working all hours to make a living, don't have social support, living in a rough area, whatever, not everyone can just decide to be happy. I'll probably get some flak (again) for harping on about house prices but, IMO, the rise in UK prices over the past 10 years has effectively made it extremely difficult for some expats to ever be able to live comfortably. There are notable exceptions (people who really are living hand-to-mouth but managing to enjoy being back in the UK), but my perceptions is that a lot of the MBTTUK folks who have been happy after the move are able to live comfortably in some of the loveliest parts of the UK.

Franki: I came back to the UK (the first time!) in 2000. In the prior 15 years I had bought and renovated an old Victorian semi in the Cheshire countryside (while living and working in the Bahamas - not easy!), subsequently the dollar lummeted and UK interest rates rocketed, so I had to take on 5 jobs (teaching, swim coaching, gymastic coaching, pool boy, newspaper reporter) to barely make the mortgage payments from overseas. When I sold in late 1989, I netted just about the same amount I had paid in, used the money to put myself through 6 years of grad school in the States, worked in Tennessee for 4 years and returned to the UK with about $US 20k. Stupidly, I followed "expert advice" and lost most of it in the stock market crash of March 2000. Why am I telling you all of this? Because as a 43-year-old with no money left, I returned to the US (NC) and within 6 years of hard work and diligent saving, I was close to being mortgage-free. Don't let the lack of money stop you returning to the US if you have decided it is the right thing for you. Five years down the line, this thread will be past history and you'll be just fine.

Me? I plan to head back in fall, 2009 and start down the H1B, GC, USC route all over again. All I need is to find a job (might be hard with a recession looming), get the visa, and then do what comes best - work hard and make myself indispensible. I figure I'll be a USC by about 2017 or so, when I'll be 60 (yikes).

Am I worried this is just another "grass is greener" move? Sometimes, the thought scares the bejesus out of me. Most of the time, having matured considerably over the past 20 months in terms of understanding myself, I'm more assured of anything I've ever been that this is the right move.

OK, ramble over ...
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
I agree with the several posts that say you have to find happiness within yourself (or at least ask yourself seriously whether your discontent is at least partly about yourself rather than your situation). I'm not one for psychobabble, but in the past 20 months after MBTTUK I have certainly learned a lot about myself and been able to recognise parts of ME that have led to discontent (maybe you could call it a "grass is greener" outlook).

I think achieving an understanding of where your "grass is greener" thoughts are coming from is crucial to making the right decisions for yourself and your family. As a serial ping-ponger (I actually don't count my first move, because it was for completely objective reasons, i.e., no work for teachers back in the UK of the early 80s), I've been through the whole range of emotions and objective reasoning (oh yes, I have lots of for/against, here/there lists!). I absolutely, definitely believe that there is a point below which it is very difficult to be "happy, regardless" - if you are working all hours to make a living, don't have social support, living in a rough area, whatever, not everyone can just decide to be happy. I'll probably get some flak (again) for harping on about house prices but, IMO, the rise in UK prices over the past 10 years has effectively made it extremely difficult for some expats to ever be able to live comfortably. There are notable exceptions (people who really are living hand-to-mouth but managing to enjoy being back in the UK), but my perceptions is that a lot of the MBTTUK folks who have been happy after the move are able to live comfortably in some of the loveliest parts of the UK.

Franki: I came back to the UK (the first time!) in 2000. In the prior 15 years I had bought and renovated an old Victorian semi in the Cheshire countryside (while living and working in the Bahamas - not easy!), subsequently the dollar lummeted and UK interest rates rocketed, so I had to take on 5 jobs (teaching, swim coaching, gymastic coaching, pool boy, newspaper reporter) to barely make the mortgage payments from overseas. When I sold in late 1989, I netted just about the same amount I had paid in, used the money to put myself through 6 years of grad school in the States, worked in Tennessee for 4 years and returned to the UK with about $US 20k. Stupidly, I followed "expert advice" and lost most of it in the stock market crash of March 2000. Why am I telling you all of this? Because as a 43-year-old with no money left, I returned to the US (NC) and within 6 years of hard work and diligent saving, I was close to being mortgage-free. Don't let the lack of money stop you returning to the US if you have decided it is the right thing for you. Five years down the line, this thread will be past history and you'll be just fine.

Me? I plan to head back in fall, 2009 and start down the H1B, GC, USC route all over again. All I need is to find a job (might be hard with a recession looming), get the visa, and then do what comes best - work hard and make myself indispensible. I figure I'll be a USC by about 2017 or so, when I'll be 60 (yikes).

Am I worried this is just another "grass is greener" move? Sometimes, the thought scares the bejesus out of me. Most of the time, having matured considerably over the past 20 months in terms of understanding myself, I'm more assured of anything I've ever been that this is the right move.

OK, ramble over ...
Will you ever be Dun Roaming?!!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:43 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Will you ever be Dun Roaming?!!
If I'm posting on here in 2010 about how much I miss the UK, please shoot me! :curse:

(Actually, I don't think I've ever posted on here about how much I miss the UK, although I've often posted about what makes the UK great, which I still believe. I have posted many times about having homesickness for the US, however).
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Before i write my post can i just clarify that i do not pointed any of it towards anyone who has posted on it, but just wanted to add a different angle to think about as it might just apply to someone.

For those who are continuously feeling the grass is greener no matter where they go, do you feel it could be more about being disatisfied with something inside of you that doesnt actually have anything to do with where you are living? So often us humans (me included) have the tendency to change everthing about us except the thing that is REALLY bugging us. It could be a multitude of different things for a multitude of different reasons. We chase our tail constantly when deep down it could be something that needs fixing that doesnt need you to change your geography, but more change your life and how you are living it.

I think that sometimes when people emigrate they go for the "wrong" reasons, ie they are running from something rather than wanting to run to something. I think that when people get disillusioned with the UK (or wherever) they look for something else. Unfortunately what alot of people tend to forget is that you take your luggage with you, and no matter where "home" is, you are always there with yourself. And I fully agree with flea. Having been there and back its funny how you view things so differently, and I know what you mean about not feeling like you belong when you do return. Everything stays the same, but you have changed, an experience that you have been through will no doubt change you, but its an odd thing, almost like you have been taken by aliens for xx years, but when you are placed back on earth it was a matter of a nano second.... very odd. just my humble opinion
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:18 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
For those who are continuously feeling the grass is greener no matter where they go, do you feel it could be more about being disatisfied with something inside of you that doesnt actually have anything to do with where you are living? So often us humans (me included) have the tendency to change everthing about us except the thing that is REALLY bugging us. It could be a multitude of different things for a multitude of different reasons. We chase our tail constantly when deep down it could be something that needs fixing that doesnt need you to change your geography, but more change your life and how you are living it.

totally agree flea
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:23 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by truditjh
I think that sometimes when people emigrate they go for the "wrong" reasons, ie they are running from something rather than wanting to run to something. I think that when people get disillusioned with the UK (or wherever) they look for something else. Unfortunately what alot of people tend to forget is that you take your luggage with you, and no matter where "home" is, you are always there with yourself. And I fully agree with flea. Having been there and back its funny how you view things so differently, and I know what you mean about not feeling like you belong when you do return. Everything stays the same, but you have changed, an experience that you have been through will no doubt change you, but its an odd thing, almost like you have been taken by aliens for xx years, but when you are placed back on earth it was a matter of a nano second.... very odd. just my humble opinion
As Kabatt-Zinn puts it, "Wherever you go, there you are". You can't escape yourself.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
As Kabatt-Zinn puts it, "Wherever you go, there you are". You can't escape yourself.
Hmm, more's the pity at times!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

franki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nice

That's one of the things I'm most afraid of. That it is me, not where I live. I've even thought about seeking counselling to help me figure it out. I think if I'm still not completely happy here in UK, I might aswell be semi happy in US and have less money worries etc. At least, my hubby would be happier and probably my kids. I would just need to try and get back more often.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 2:10 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by franki
That's one of the things I'm most afraid of. That it is me, not where I live. I've even thought about seeking counselling to help me figure it out. I think if I'm still not completely happy here in UK, I might aswell be semi happy in US and have less money worries etc. At least, my hubby would be happier and probably my kids. I would just need to try and get back more often.
that's often the case when one ping pongs.

good luck with your dilemma, money worries are not fun for sure wherever you are located.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 4:17 pm
JinViv

rkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nice

Reading everyone's posts makes me feel like I am viewing the UK as a 'greener place'. When I was in the UK, I viewed Oz the same way.

Our story? Hubby and I have been here since June 2007 and inspite of countless job applications, we haven't managed to secure any kind of income. By the way, we are here for the second time round (1st time was in 2002/3). I have applied for many jobs (finance and psychotherapy) and haven't even had any responses. I have had interviews (through an agency) where I knew as soon as I walked into the room and met the person, that this was going to be a formality interview. They weren't going to employ me. Why? 'Coz I am a Pom, Indian, 50 etc.? I dress very professionally and I conduct myself in a very professioanl manner! I don't know their reasons, to be honest. I applied for voluntary work at several places (Mission Australia, St. Vincent's, etc) and they came back saying that I don't have Christian values and therefore can't take me on as they are church funded! I applied for sales assistants jobs and I was told that I don't have any retail experience. So where do I go from here?

Money is now rapidly running out (we had only 1 year's worth and thought that we sould get jobs in 3-6 months!) and we are considering going back to the UK in April before we can't even get ourselves back! But we don't have anywhere to live in the UK. We will have to book into a B&B and start looking for jobs, then get a car or two (depending on affordability and location of job), find a place to rent and start from scratch again.

Question is, how many times can anyone keep doing this? We have given up everything to come here twice and both times we haven't managed to secure any employment. My head hurts even thinking about it.

So next weekend (we gave ourselves to the end of March) we have to make the final decision. Our decision is going to be based on the looming lack of funds. And we think that we will definitely get jobs in the UK in a very short time. So do we think grass is greener on the other side (UK)? Of course we do!

Thanks for reading.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rkh001
Reading everyone's posts makes me feel like I am viewing the UK as a 'greener place'. When I was in the UK, I viewed Oz the same way.

Our story? Hubby and I have been here since June 2007 and inspite of countless job applications, we haven't managed to secure any kind of income. By the way, we are here for the second time round (1st time was in 2002/3). I have applied for many jobs (finance and psychotherapy) and haven't even had any responses. I have had interviews (through an agency) where I knew as soon as I walked into the room and met the person, that this was going to be a formality interview. They weren't going to employ me. Why? 'Coz I am a Pom, Indian, 50 etc.? I dress very professionally and I conduct myself in a very professioanl manner! I don't know their reasons, to be honest. I applied for voluntary work at several places (Mission Australia, St. Vincent's, etc) and they came back saying that I don't have Christian values and therefore can't take me on as they are church funded! I applied for sales assistants jobs and I was told that I don't have any retail experience. So where do I go from here?

Money is now rapidly running out (we had only 1 year's worth and thought that we sould get jobs in 3-6 months!) and we are considering going back to the UK in April before we can't even get ourselves back! But we don't have anywhere to live in the UK. We will have to book into a B&B and start looking for jobs, then get a car or two (depending on affordability and location of job), find a place to rent and start from scratch again.

Question is, how many times can anyone keep doing this? We have given up everything to come here twice and both times we haven't managed to secure any employment. My head hurts even thinking about it.

So next weekend (we gave ourselves to the end of March) we have to make the final decision. Our decision is going to be based on the looming lack of funds. And we think that we will definitely get jobs in the UK in a very short time. So do we think grass is greener on the other side (UK)? Of course we do!

Thanks for reading.
Crikey, what a situation you're in! Good luck with everything; hope you do manage to get sorted, whether here or in the UK. Looking a bit more like the UK though, perhaps?

Best wishes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.