Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is the grass always going to be greener??

Wikiposts

Is the grass always going to be greener??

Old Mar 21st 2008, 12:05 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the grass always going to be greener??

Not funny at all. I really hope you get it sorted.

To the other Cambridge people, I can assure them that Regent's Street is just as crowded, wet, and dirty as it ever was. Parking still costs an arm and a leg, and unless I have real need, I am damned if I will go into the town these days. (We are currently renting in Royston.)

We nearly fainted when our day's parking in Cadiz was a couple of Euros, compared to the cost of a couple of hours in the UK!

If I can pull it off to take early retirement I will be 'running away' from crap weather, work and so on, and heading for a climate held to be far more healthy for those of us approaching our senior years.

Part of being happy where you are is to 'find your place'. We did what you shouldn't. We visited the area to have a look round, and bought the first place we saw. (OK, so we did look at the others, and did some quick research as to whether what the seller and the estate agent were telling us was true or not.

When we stepped into the place it was as if we had come home. A bit like a bagatelle ball falling into its appointed place. The neighbours are almost without exception kind, helpful and encouraging, which is a damn sight more than they are in the UK.

For all those of you who are not yet 'in their place', I hope with all my heart that you will find your way safely there.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 2:36 am
Just Joined

AliJ is just really niceAliJ is just really niceAliJ is just really niceAliJ is just really niceAliJ is just really niceAliJ is just really niceAliJ is just really niceAliJ is just really niceAliJ is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beryl the Peril
Well, ctb, you have really hit the nail on the head! You could be me talking and oh boy, it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one feeling like a square peg in a round hole. This is so difficult to explain to anyone, but you have really described exactly how I've been feeling. Very, very weired coming back to the UK. I so longed to get here, but now I am having real doubts. Trying to re-settle is proving to be much more difficult than I would ever have realised! Yes, it's GREAT to see friends and family again, but once the honeymoon period is over (we've been back for 7 months now), it's a bit like 'ok, we've seen you now' and everyone just gets on with their lives. In the meantime, you feel like you've made this big change by living abroad, you come back and apart from yourself, nothing else has changed. There is no doubt, this can make you feel very odd.

I think what I have concluded is that I COULD live abroad again, and just visit England to see everyone on a more regular basis. I think when we moved to Perth, we emigrated lock stock and barrel. Psychologically this just panicked me. I thought I can't leave my friends and family permanently, but since being back in the UK - I feel all out of sorts and got itchy feet again! What a confused position we put ourselves in. I'm sure there must be many people in the same boat, hence the famous ping-pong poms expression!
We have been back in Dorset (3 years) after 3 years in Perth. I feel just like you, I've been living with this feeling for a while now and the urge to return to Perth is very strong. Our children are 12 and 9, we know we have this window of opportunity to go before they become too settled with schools, long term friends. The children miss the Aussie way of life and talk about returning when they are older.

I have changed alot, I can't live here anymore, the UK culture doesn't suit me. I just feel on the go all the time here, work, schools, traffic, housing.

Hubby has been offered his old job back in Perth so we hope to go back in August.

PS. Maybe we could fly back together for our Dorset, UK fix!!!

Last edited by AliJ; Mar 21st 2008 at 2:39 am.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 4:23 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

On the go. I know exactly what you mean. It is as tho in the UK we have to run faster and faster just to stand still. A bit like the red queen in Alice.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:41 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Some honest and heartfelt posts here. The trouble is, we start off down this immigration route and are exposed to something very different, with different pros and cons. Then two things happen: first us humans have a tendency to look back and what's more to look back and remember the fonder things; second we like the good things we are experiencing now and want to escape the bad things. So we end up wanting BOTH sets of pros. This confuses us. So we move from one place to another trying to create the perfect life, which of course does not exist. I honestly think it must be easier for people who have never moved out of their town! So often the best we can hope for is to exchange one type of suffering for another. Happiness is not easy to measure, even within yourself. The nearest you can get to measuring it in any way, even within yourself, is to consider satisfaction with life, which is a bit more clinical. Happiness is more of an inside job, and may result partly from a better environment but that is only part of the equation; history is probably a bigger influence. So I have found it better to look at things from what may seem like a more negative viewpoint: what do I tolerate least well?

Last edited by ShozInOz; Mar 21st 2008 at 1:19 pm. Reason: sp
Old Mar 21st 2008, 12:13 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about

RKH001 Where are you thinking of going to in UK. B & B's will be quite expensive while you look around for somewhere to live. You might consider a holiday apartment or even holiday caravan place where rent should be better than a B & B. There are plenty to find online at varying prices. Try putting in holiday lettings. Also do some search online for rent places, we have found several in various areas we are looking at, but not ready until end of the year.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 1:20 pm
JinViv

rkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nicerkh001 is just really nice

Pamela, we are looking at Reading as all the family are near by. We figure that it will be easier to travel from there to wherever jobs take us.

Yes, I agree that B&B is going to be very expensive but we are also aware that we will need to be working for a while before we can rent somewhere. Initially without jobs it's going to be very difficult wherever we stay. I will look up holiday rentals etc on the net and see what we can find.

I have to say that I am dreading the move back, starting from scratch again etc. What a nightmare!
Old Mar 21st 2008, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=bil;6092856]Not funny at all. I really hope you get it sorted.

To the other Cambridge people, I can assure them that Regent's Street is just as crowded, wet, and dirty as it ever was. Parking still costs an arm and a leg, and unless I have real need, I am damned if I will go into the town these days. (We are currently renting in Royston.)

Just wait til the Cambridge congestion charge kicks in Bill What with petrol prices going up it seems 1 - 2p a week I can't wait to move.

I am fed up also as another poster quite rightly said that we seem to need to go faster and faster just to stand still. I work all week and then spend the weekend fighting against the traffic/people just to get things done before it's back to work again on Monday. My quality of life was a great deal better in the US that's for sure and my money went alot further.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=bromleygirl;6095733]
Originally Posted by bil
Not funny at all. I really hope you get it sorted.

Just wait til the Cambridge congestion charge kicks in Bill What with petrol prices going up it seems 1 - 2p a week I can't wait to move.

I am fed up also as another poster quite rightly said that we seem to need to go faster and faster just to stand still. I work all week and then spend the weekend fighting against the traffic/people just to get things done before it's back to work again on Monday. My quality of life was a great deal better in the US that's for sure and my money went alot further.
I just hope that most people realise that nowadays most "Westernised" countries are just as expensive (some in more ways) than the U.K.....these last 4 years in Aus we work longer hours have less money than we ever did in the U.K......most carparks you pay (and are expensive) driving is not as busy due to the population but driving here is an experience to say the least.....so please don't think that you can come over buy a large house have a little or no mortgage work nice hours.....oh you can do all of this if you come over with a large amount of money....but Aus....W.A in particular is an expensive place to live......we have seen huge changes in the 10 years here....more crime....the Education System cannot keep up with demand.......as I have always said it is to each individual taste and circumstances......but if people think that this is the land of "having it easy" please think again....like most countries in the world you do have to work....and work hard......
Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=brits1;6095861]
Originally Posted by bromleygirl
I just hope that most people realise that nowadays most "Westernised" countries are just as expensive (some in more ways) than the U.K.....these last 4 years in Aus we work longer hours have less money than we ever did in the U.K......most carparks you pay (and are expensive) driving is not as busy due to the population but driving here is an experience to say the least.....so please don't think that you can come over buy a large house have a little or no mortgage work nice hours.....oh you can do all of this if you come over with a large amount of money....but Aus....W.A in particular is an expensive place to live......we have seen huge changes in the 10 years here....more crime....the Education System cannot keep up with demand.......as I have always said it is to each individual taste and circumstances......but if people think that this is the land of "having it easy" please think again....like most countries in the world you do have to work....and work hard......
ps. Australia is now the most expensive country for homes in the English Speaking world...having gone up 400% in twenty years but with Salaries only rising in that time by 100%..........we have an all time low of "poor"...98% of people are turned away from shelters as the government cannot cope with the number of people who are now homeless.....this is because of high rents....high prices of homes etc...and lack of housing.......not to be doom and all gloom....but you really have to do your homework......lot's of new migrants who come over are now struggling......I know of three new migrants who have been able only to rent as they cannot afford homes.....over the 2.5 years they have been here they have lost a lot of money in rent.........
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:42 pm
bil
Banned

Don't get me started on the congestion charge. Ages back in Cambridge they woke up to the fact that ripping out traffic lights and putting in mini roundabouts made the traffif flow faster and smoother with less queues.

Over the last ten years tho, the b*st*rds have been ripping out the roundabouts and replacing them with traffic lights. Also they have made dumb*ss additions like the island at the top of Coldham's lane which means that if more than 5 people wish to turn right, the whole of C. Lane seizes solid. Duuuhhhh.

When it all started, I predicted that this was a plan to justify bringing in congestion charges, and, sure enough...... They must think we are retarded. They certainly treat us as if we are.

I have a very clear understanding that the infrastructure of a country has to be paid for, and for that we need to be taxed, but frankly the UK just takes the p*ss.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:09 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beryl the Peril
Well, ctb, you have really hit the nail on the head! You could be me talking and oh boy, it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one feeling like a square peg in a round hole. This is so difficult to explain to anyone, but you have really described exactly how I've been feeling. Very, very weired coming back to the UK. I so longed to get here, but now I am having real doubts. Trying to re-settle is proving to be much more difficult than I would ever have realised! Yes, it's GREAT to see friends and family again, but once the honeymoon period is over (we've been back for 7 months now), it's a bit like 'ok, we've seen you now' and everyone just gets on with their lives. In the meantime, you feel like you've made this big change by living abroad, you come back and apart from yourself, nothing else has changed. There is no doubt, this can make you feel very odd.

I think what I have concluded is that I COULD live abroad again, and just visit England to see everyone on a more regular basis. I think when we moved to Perth, we emigrated lock stock and barrel. Psychologically this just panicked me. I thought I can't leave my friends and family permanently, but since being back in the UK - I feel all out of sorts and got itchy feet again! What a confused position we put ourselves in. I'm sure there must be many people in the same boat, hence the famous ping-pong poms expression!
Very surprised to see you posting again Beryl as i used to follow some of your posts while you lived here in perth and they were very thought provoking and if there was one person i wouldnt see posting again it would have been you .
It just shows how fragile our minds are when it comes to migrating and returning etc .
We have just come back yesterday from a five week trip around the uk ,with trips to bournemouth ,wimborne ,poole ,purbeck hills ,south wales ,lake windermere,edinburgh ,musselburgh ,glasgow ,hexham,corbridge,berwick upon tweed,coldstream,jedburgh,bamburgh castle,whitby,scarborough,carlisle,lindisfarne,and york .
I have touched on a few places we went in five weeks and not for one minute was we bored and not for one minute was we thinking of perth and if we had of done it would have been ''how far would i get in five weeks from perth if driving ?''.
I have no advice to give but if i could say one thing it would be take a few weeks off and load the car up and travel around the wonderful country they call britain and stay at little B&B,s and youll discover the country you know is home .
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:38 am
bil
Banned

I think that if you call it home, it rather begs the question.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:23 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I think that if you call it home, it rather begs the question.
not really ,as we are returning .
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 6:16 am
bil
Banned

Out of curiosity, why did you go there in the first place? Polite question, not a p*ss take one.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 6:41 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I have a very clear understanding that the infrastructure of a country has to be paid for, and for that we need to be taxed, but frankly the UK just takes the p*ss.
total tax wedge - single worker, UK comes 22nd:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ta...-single-worker

total tax wedge - single income family, UK comes 23rd

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ta...-income-family

Source:
OECD

Income Tax only:

Income Tax rates by Country based on OECD 2005 data (includes employer payroll tax contributions that some countries impose for programs like social security and health care).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.