Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The Good News In UK Thread

Wikiposts

The Good News In UK Thread

Old Dec 8th 2008, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Good News In UK Thread

Originally Posted by Family5
Yet another "appalling demonstration of poor communication skills" by yourself. You really ought to think before you type and send. Many thanks for the clear insight as to why you contribute so much yet so little to BE forums.
you might miss some of this when you're away

Interest rates on mortgages roughly 2%. Predicting it may even go as low as ½ %. If I walk a half a mile, I don’t pass house after house - I pass a corner shop, a pub, a stable, small business, park etc etc. I see people walking along too. I don’t feel isolated. Even if we don’t say hello, it’s kinda comforting to know there are others about. You only realise this when its not part of your day to day interaction with people.

I see old people. The amount I see, they can’t all be scared of the dreaded youth some of you have us believe are inherent everywhere. They live in the same houses as other generations if they are still able/want to.

X Factor finalists – top 3 – all under 20yrs. (Britain’s got talent winner 13 yrs old this year,) teenage mother of co-joined twins praised for her dignity in handling the situation, All teenage girls now get free anti-cervical cancer injection once teenagers

The NHS is a wonderful safety net and provides fantastic service.

Only the UK could sell a book of the “Crappiest towns in Britain” and only the British would buy it with their tongue in their cheek – its called a sense of humour and a wonderful ability to take the p@ss out of ones self.

TV ranging from the most informative, enlightening, unbiased documentaries to classic, side splitting comedy. With this, the British peoples sense of justice – note Russell Brands resignation – he crossed a line. British people know the difference between banter and bullying.

Crappy attempts at Xmas decorations across the roads of High Streets. Totally unpretentious and that’s what makes them great. Christmas carols in the cold outside, children carol singing from house to house. A change in season to make people remember to smile, acknowledge one another and spare a thought for those less fortunate.

Our incredible tolerance towards other cultures, living here as guests in our country. (You may disagree – but think what a huge melting pot it would be in other, less tolerant countries) Our ability to accommodate all, or at least attempt to regardless of culture , disability etc etc.

Pensioners have free bus travel anywhere in the UK

Banks still have free banking.

House price bargains. New wave of budget flights (£250 to Oz etc)

Excellent family friendly legislation for working parents. Minimum wage.

Excellent theatres

Fantastic music scene

Great opportunity to see local, up and coming bands in pubs etc. Being really p*ssed off and needing to get some space for half an hour. Knowing I can pop into a local pub, read a paper (give the “don’t talk to me signal”), then come home again when Ive calmed down, somewhere to go without being judged.

A nation of animal lovers.

And the 16yr old lad helping at the corner shop who calls me “darlin’” and I got all red and giggle like I’m 20 again

Perhaps you will see some of the things that make Britain proud when you're not there.

Good luck

C
Old Dec 8th 2008, 6:32 am
Account Closed

jackuk is an unknown quantity at this point

This day is called the feast of Crispian:
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian:'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispin's day.'
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day: then shall our names.
Familiar in his mouth as household words
Harry the king, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition:
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day"
Old Dec 8th 2008, 6:39 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chance to be

Interest rates on mortgages roughly 2%. Predicting it may even go as low as ½ %. If I walk a half a mile, I don’t pass house after house - I pass a corner shop, a pub, a stable, small business, park etc etc. I see people walking along too. I don’t feel isolated. Even if we don’t say hello, it’s kinda comforting to know there are others about. You only realise this when its not part of your day to day interaction with people.

I see old people. The amount I see, they can’t all be scared of the dreaded youth some of you have us believe are inherent everywhere. They live in the same houses as other generations if they are still able/want to.

X Factor finalists – top 3 – all under 20yrs. (Britain’s got talent winner 13 yrs old this year,) teenage mother of co-joined twins praised for her dignity in handling the situation, All teenage girls now get free anti-cervical cancer injection once teenagers

Only the UK could sell a book of the “Crappiest towns in Britain” and only the British would buy it with their tongue in their cheek – its called a sense of humour and a wonderful ability to take the p@ss out of ones self.

TV ranging from the most informative, enlightening, unbiased documentaries to classic, side splitting comedy. With this, the British peoples sense of justice – note Russell Brands resignation – he crossed a line. British people know the difference between banter and bullying.

Crappy attempts at Xmas decorations across the roads of High Streets. Totally unpretentious and that’s what makes them great. Christmas carols in the cold outside, children carol singing from house to house. A change in season to make people remember to smile, acknowledge one another and spare a thought for those less fortunate.

Our incredible tolerance towards other cultures, living here as guests in our country. (You may disagree – but think what a huge melting pot it would be in other, less tolerant countries) Our ability to accommodate all, or at least attempt to regardless of culture , disability etc etc.

Excellent theatres

Fantastic music scene

Great opportunity to see local, up and coming bands in pubs etc. Being really p*ssed off and needing to get some space for half an hour. Knowing I can pop into a local pub, read a paper (give the “don’t talk to me signal”), then come home again when Ive calmed down, somewhere to go without being judged.

And the 16yr old lad helping at the corner shop who calls me “darlin’” and I got all red and giggle like I’m 20 again

Perhaps you will see some of the things that make Britain proud when you're not there.

Good luck

C
Loved that
Old Dec 8th 2008, 6:56 am
Account Closed

jackuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Today I saw my Hungarian dentist, nice man, great dentist,....... and tonight I went to get a takeway Curry, the chaps in the Indian restaurant are brilliant, fast great service and some free popedoms, thanks,...... then to the corner shop runs by Pakistanis , lovely family all of them, very helpful in picking some wine, .....Muslims, yet they have all the chrimbo decorations out, and are enjoying the festivities

All great hard working people , who want what we all want ......a better life.....I am proud to have here and they are a great asset to this country,
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:09 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Damn... Sky news just said Woolworths is having a one day sale and all their stuff is 50% off!!

Trust my luck to be 12,000 miles away from the pick and mix!
That woollies sale turned out to be up to 50% Most of the goods were only at 10% off
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:10 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
That woollies sale turned out to be up to 50% Most of the goods were only at 10% off
Yeah, but what about the pix n mix? Thats all i was interested in
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:11 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
How low will they go...-2 %
Would that mean the banks would pay us interest
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:18 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Yeah, but what about the pix n mix? Thats all i was interested in
Erm!! Never looked Keep trying not to.... abit difficult tho when the co-op is next door at the mo

Apparently morrisons has bought out some of the co-op shops, mainly in the North tho
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:26 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chance to be

Excellent theatres

Fantastic music scene

Good luck

C
Fantastic post CtB.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:29 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Erm!! Never looked Keep trying not to.... abit difficult tho when the co-op is next door at the mo

Apparently morrisons has bought out some of the co-op shops, mainly in the North tho
Hey, whats all this i am hearing about BOGOF car sale deals on Sky News?

That definitely IS good news!

I am sure that Miss Piggy was going to buy a new car when she goes back, she might want to look around and get 2 for the price of one!!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:45 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Hey, whats all this i am hearing about BOGOF car sale deals on Sky News?

That definitely IS good news!

I am sure that Miss Piggy was going to buy a new car when she goes back, she might want to look around and get 2 for the price of one!!
I wish .....the matchbox cars maybe.....Altho i dare say they will have to reduce to meet their sales targets Not many buying new ones, pay less tax on them too now.

Not sure if this has been mentioned on forum? i haven't seen it posted....The government dropped the stamp duty for a year on houses £175k and under in October....
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:52 am
I don't give a damn

I wish .....the matchbox cars maybe.....Altho i dare say they will have to reduce to meet their sales targets Not many buying new ones, pay less tax on them too now.

Not sure if this has been mentioned on forum? i haven't seen it posted....The government dropped the stamp duty for a year on houses £175k and under in October....
Apparently not! I just found this link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ost-sales.html

I tried to find one on Sky website but nothing there (why do they do news stories on TV but have no mention online!! )
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:08 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Apparently not! I just found this link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ost-sales.html

I tried to find one on Sky website but nothing there (why do they do news stories on TV but have no mention online!! )
Is this what you was looking for???

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus...15157640?f=rss
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:13 am
I don't give a damn

Is this what you was looking for???

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus...15157640?f=rss
Aha yes!! how did you do that?..clever dick!

Same company as the Daily Mail link, but earlier today they were showing lots of other dealers jumping on the band wagon.

Well its good news for us anyway
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:18 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Aha yes!! how did you do that?..clever dick!

Same company as the Daily Mail link, but earlier today they were showing lots of other dealers jumping on the band wagon.

Well its good news for us anyway
I find it hard to believe their not making some profit still Just goes to show how much over the odds we pay normally If we are daft enough to pay it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.