Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Going home for indefinite period

Going home for indefinite period

Old Jun 28th 2009, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going home for indefinite period

Originally Posted by dunroving
What a great post, thanks for the update. I think you have summarised the answer to all these posts that ask "Should I go home or stay?" "Britain or Oz/US?" "Can't wait to get out of this place - or do I?"

The UK is not all country gardens and high tea - and not all sink estates and knife crime, either.

Although it's a small-ish country, it has a huge variety of places to live and the stay/go decision should consider where you would likely end up - a 5 BR detached in a leafy suburb, a rustic country cottage, or a council flat next to drug dealers and the long-term unemployed/disaffected.

But most of all, I think you have shown how important it is to try it and see before you take the plunge. Kudos to you for being open about your rose-tints. Hopefully this will be an eye-opener for others to consider whether they may have an overly-romanticised image of the home country.

Have a fantastic time during the rest of your trip, and look after yourself when you get back to Canada - lots of meditation, holistic retreats and soul-searching. Be well!
Thanks D Your PM advice has really been of help to me....God forbid I'd have made this decision as a permanent move and a complete split from my family & dog in Canada! It's been a shock to the system and I'm sure over time, I will no doubt have adjusted to the "rat race" that's called life here in Greater Manchester.....but its that coping time while I try and adjust that I think I'd struggle with. I fell hook, line and sinker with the romanticized memories of Hyde/Manchester of years ago....you really do forget when you've been away so long and I get the "reverse culture shock" thing now.

Horses for courses as they say. I came to see if living here floats my boat, and it just doesn't....if I decided to stay and give it a shot I know in time, I'd probably slit my wrists knowing what I gave up in Canada
Old Jun 28th 2009, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Glad to hear that you have been able to make up your mind instead of being tormented by whatifs. I hope you get to see more of UK than Manchester on your holiday though as I must admit my trips home (Cambridge) are quite a different experience. I guess those we leave behind cope with the hole we leave them with in quite different ways - sorry to hear that your parents arent quite the people you thought they were though.
Thanks quoll....yes I am planning on a trip to see my sister in law in Stow on the Wold, Gloucestershire....it will be refreshing to see a truly beautiful part of England at it's best! It's just the motorway journey down there I'm not looking forward to

I've always known my parents love their drinky-poos, it's something me and my sister have grown up with most of our adult life....but it's the fact that they've been warned by their GP now that this habit of theirs is giving off alarm bells on their liver function tests and the first couple of weeks they dramatically cut it down to just drinking at the weekend.....they're both back to drinking (evenings only mind) every day of the week and it's the amount they neck back that really concerns me & my sister. I give up though....they've heard our pleas to think of their health and they don't see themselves as having an alcohol problem. They're stuck in their ways and that's the way I'll have to leave them...they're grown ups and have their own consequences to deal with if the worst happens..and it will sooner or later
Old Jun 28th 2009, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It's good that you came back to get your feelings sorted out. At least now you can go back feeling it's the right thing for you and the family.
I'm back now too, will go back to US at the end of July for me it doesn't give me the feeling I want to stay in US, It confirms my want to move home again, but it's long term plans, not till Ds finishes high school and the older boys are willing to move too, on their own accord.
At least now you can settle and just come back to UK on holidays as needed.
Good luck with the visit.
Sorry Mummy....I got a bit confused as to where you are Are you back in the UK and are returning back to the US, or the reverse?
Old Jun 28th 2009, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rabsody
Hi Ruby

Brilliant news! I think until you are actually back there you can't get a real idea of whether it's for you or not. Very pleased you are no longer in the land of indecision as that is a horrible place to be.

What does your daughter think as I know she was keen to go back? Has she had the same impression?

Well, now you can relax and enjoy the rest of your time - a few curries, a bit of cheap shopping and a few pubs - and then get back to business in Canada.

x
Hiya! What a nice surprise to see you posting on here!!

Daughter felt exactly the same, but I must stress, it was of no influence on me. I kept my feelings to myself and it was she who said she hated it and doesn't want to live here after all! Well it makes my ultimate decision far easier knowing I won't have any battles on my hands!

I'm doing just that....curries, great shopping, enjoying spending time with my sister and her kids, etc....wouldn't have changed a thing...so glad I came
Old Jun 28th 2009, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Hiya! What a nice surprise to see you posting on here!!

Daughter felt exactly the same, but I must stress, it was of no influence on me. I kept my feelings to myself and it was she who said she hated it and doesn't want to live here after all! Well it makes my ultimate decision far easier knowing I won't have any battles on my hands!

I'm doing just that....curries, great shopping, enjoying spending time with my sister and her kids, etc....wouldn't have changed a thing...so glad I came
J - that's absolutely brilliant. I know what an awful time you've had of it and to know you now have some piece of mind must be such a weight off your shoulders. Good on ya gal! Onwards and upwards hey!

You've got two lovely kids (very handsome young man your eldest ), a beautiful house, Luna and of course hubby to look forward to now xxx
Old Jun 28th 2009, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
Best wishes, Ruby.

I think others are right. Sometimes we have to do something.

Bev
I've been in the struggle for 20 years now and it's rediculous. Even after so long, I still don't feel any more settled or any more sure of what I should do for the best.

So although I've yet to make this decision for certain, I recently came back to Australia after 3 weeks holiday in the usual place and it occurred to me that there is another course of action I could probably take that just might help me resolve the situation one way or the other.

I hadn't considered this before, but now I'm ALMOST sure I will do it. I intend to quit my job (which I hate now anyway) and go for another holiday in Britain, this time for about 3 months.

That way I will have plenty of time there rather than rushing around just trying to see everyone and everything like I usually do, and enough time to fully unwind and de-stress, and then start looking at jobs, houses etc and what sort of a life I really could have if I lived there again.

As you said, the holiday in itself might not necessarily lead me to a definite long term decision (although that would be nice) but it will be doing SOMETHING and I really can see how that might help quite a bit. If nothing else I might end up coming back here and getting another job, but I might find that having spend a longer period of time in Britain at least takes the edge off my desire to be there for a while. Alternatively it might help me confirm that I should live there in which case that's what I'll do.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ruby (and Merseygirl)
Sorry you are in such a difficult place right now - but to reiterate what others have said, any decision/action is far better than the state of limbo you have been in.
FWIW - when I was in limboland, I spent so much time lamenting and feeeling sorry for myself in front of my OH, had I gone on like that our marriage would have ended anyway. It was probably only when I booked a flight without him, that he regained respect for me, as the fighter I normally am. He followed a couple of months after me and 3yrs back in UK together, we are fine as a couple still.
Sometimes when you have lost all sense of who you are, you are deeply homesick and miserable you need to say enough is enough and get yourself back. It doesnt mean you wont go back to Canada/Oz again - it just means now the times not right, and you have a bit of self preservation to do. I hope when your heads are clearer you either go back with new eyes and attitude or that your partners realise they need to be in the UK with you.
Its a bloody scary gamble, I know and I so admire you for doing it.
Take care
C x
Old Jun 28th 2009, 5:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Sorry Mummy....I got a bit confused as to where you are Are you back in the UK and are returning back to the US, or the reverse?
Sorry, the kids and I are in Wales for the summer 6 weeks. (going off to Morcombe for a week in July) We go back to, US at the end of July.
I'm still pining to moe home. SOme times I think it'd be easier if I hated it here so we could stay oput and I'd get over it. But after just over 20 years in US (and a year home in the middle) I still want to come back. But Wales is a lot different from Manchester, we are in a lovely neighborhood at Mums, small village, not far from the sea and all the tourist traps.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 7:08 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rubes....Really pleased you have made a decission Hopefully you can now start living and enjoying life the way you should be.....

Wouldn't do if we all felt the same way, whats good for one eh
Anyway stay intouch and have a great time in the UK
All the best S........
Old Jun 29th 2009, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chance to be
Hi Ruby (and Merseygirl)
Sorry you are in such a difficult place right now - but to reiterate what others have said, any decision/action is far better than the state of limbo you have been in.
FWIW - when I was in limboland, I spent so much time lamenting and feeeling sorry for myself in front of my OH, had I gone on like that our marriage would have ended anyway. It was probably only when I booked a flight without him, that he regained respect for me, as the fighter I normally am. He followed a couple of months after me and 3yrs back in UK together, we are fine as a couple still.
Sometimes when you have lost all sense of who you are, you are deeply homesick and miserable you need to say enough is enough and get yourself back. It doesnt mean you wont go back to Canada/Oz again - it just means now the times not right, and you have a bit of self preservation to do. I hope when your heads are clearer you either go back with new eyes and attitude or that your partners realise they need to be in the UK with you.
Its a bloody scary gamble, I know and I so admire you for doing it.
Take care
C x
Thank you for your words of encouragement Chance to be, it's what I need to hear right now. You are so right about 'any action is better than no action'
I need to keep telling myself that as I have moments were I try to talk myself out of going, and that would not be a good thing as I would hate myself for it.

Ruby - I am glad that your time in the UK is giving you some clarity, that is what I truly hope for!

Backagen - you seem to be considering a similar course of action to what I am doing - 3 months in the UK. I think that would be a great course of action for you and encourage you to go for it. More of a recce than a decision to permanently move back.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merseygirl
Thank you for your words of encouragement Chance to be, it's what I need to hear right now. You are so right about 'any action is better than no action'
I need to keep telling myself that as I have moments were I try to talk myself out of going, and that would not be a good thing as I would hate myself for it.

Ruby - I am glad that your time in the UK is giving you some clarity, that is what I truly hope for!

Backagen - you seem to be considering a similar course of action to what I am doing - 3 months in the UK. I think that would be a great course of action for you and encourage you to go for it. More of a recce than a decision to permanently move back.
Yes I think you are right - its good not to close all doors. After all, its that feeling of staying where you are for ever and ever that does your head in, so why think along those lines back in the UK. One day at a time, see how it goes. We have good jobs etc and are happy in the UK but I wish I hadnt severed ties with Oz so finally. All this tooing and frowing does your head in so you need be easy on yourself and not put yourself under unnecessary pressure.
Ruby - I have decided I cant read!!! Totally missed the bit where you came back/want to go back. Im glad you have had some questions answered. Whatever way the dice rolls the trip back wont be wasted, Merseygirl. You follow your instinct and you'll be ok.
The very best of luck to you
C x
Old Jun 29th 2009, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

have a nice holiday...glad you got to go and get stuff sorted...

Me on the other hand hope i don't feel this way...ITS all or nothing right now...

enjoy what you can!!!!
Old Jul 4th 2009, 6:04 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Ruby - just found this thread - glad you are start to feel a little more clear headed - hope my visit home in Oct will do the same for me!!

Also my parents are here at the moment and either I was a complete lush back in the Uk or they drink like its going out of fashion!!
Old Jul 4th 2009, 9:08 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

me too just seen it - wow girly you don't do things by halves.

Heres a promise though, when you come back i'll come join you and piff over a cuppa. You deserve a big hug for tackling the situation head on, a big thing for anyone to do let alone someone suffering from an illness like depression.

Way to go Rubes, enjoy the rest of your holiday and i'll see ya when you get back - thats a promise (or threat whichever way you want to look at it!)
Old Jul 4th 2009, 11:54 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Sorry, the kids and I are in Wales for the summer 6 weeks. (going off to Morcombe for a week in July) We go back to, US at the end of July.
I'm still pining to moe home. SOme times I think it'd be easier if I hated it here so we could stay oput and I'd get over it. But after just over 20 years in US (and a year home in the middle) I still want to come back. But Wales is a lot different from Manchester, we are in a lovely neighborhood at Mums, small village, not far from the sea and all the tourist traps.
Ah Morecambe - that's where my old man lives. Not what it used to be mind - make sure you get into Lancaster for the day - i always liked it there, spent many a summer there as a kid staying with my old man's family.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.