Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Flying home with a 1 year old. What joy!

Flying home with a 1 year old. What joy!

Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:36 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying home with a 1 year old. What joy!

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Yeah, if she fills her nappy go to the loo to change it!
SOOOO right. I hate it when people change their babies in front of everyone. totally disgusting.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cybersecretary
SOOOO right. I hate it when people change their babies in front of everyone. totally disgusting.
Did you miss the wink smilie on your comment
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:50 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Did you miss the wink smilie on your comment
NO!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

NO!
Well I have been lucky in the past that I never had to change a filled nappy as such, all be it a tad wet, it's just you cant move in them loo's let alone change a baby
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:00 pm
In Orange County, CA.

Well I have been lucky in the past that I never had to change a filled nappy as such, all be it a tad wet, it's just you cant move in them loo's let alone change a baby
Good point. I dont think I have ever had to do it, cant remember. Hard enough to fit me and my 4 year old in a plane loo let alone have to get the changing table down, hold baby, change baby, put table up, wash hands... all you need on top of that is turbulence.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:11 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Done it. It's possible. Just wish everyone else knew that. :curse:
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:17 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

should be fine with her on the plane - of course you get some crap flights (my youngest was very unpredicatable!) but chances are with a night flight she will be quite soothed with the noise of the aircraft and the movement. I would totally advise buying her a seat though - its ALOT easier!

dont try the drugs thing - we did once and in our oldest was fine but the youngest had the reverse reaction and was stuck to the ceiling all flight!

the lights will go out and she should fall off asleep - it may feel terrifying now but once you've done it its a microsecond out of your life - easliy forgotten.

mine have done 9 return transatlantic flights now at the ages of 4 and 2, many of which are with me alone traelling with them and as long as you arent uptight they wont be either.

there are baby changing loos with a flip down table to change them - its really not a big deal.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandmom
should be fine with her on the plane - of course you get some crap flights (my youngest was very unpredicatable!) but chances are with a night flight she will be quite soothed with the noise of the aircraft and the movement. I would totally advise buying her a seat though - its ALOT easier!

dont try the drugs thing - we did once and in our oldest was fine but the youngest had the reverse reaction and was stuck to the ceiling all flight!

the lights will go out and she should fall off asleep - it may feel terrifying now but once you've done it its a microsecond out of your life - easliy forgotten.

mine have done 9 return transatlantic flights now at the ages of 4 and 2, many of which are with me alone traelling with them and as long as you arent uptight they wont be either.

Totally agree, great advice! K sent for that!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Done it. It's possible. Just wish everyone else knew that. :curse:
I'm so glad I dont have to worry about that part of the flight any more, at the time if we needed to I would have, but at the end of the day all we all want is a quiet flight but as a Mum I would understand if another Mummy preferred to change her baby on her lap.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

ellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really niceellapops is just really nice

If your missus will let you, I'd suggest using Phenagen. It's an antihistamine but is used a lot to help babies sleep on planes. I took it once, knocked me out for 10 hrs...........
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellapops
If your missus will let you, I'd suggest using Phenagen. It's an antihistamine but is used a lot to help babies sleep on planes. I took it once, knocked me out for 10 hrs...........
Umm ..could be useful to know ...
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:08 pm
In Orange County, CA.

Originally Posted by Ray
Umm ..could be useful to know ...
I have heard that too, seems a bit scary to knock them out that much, plus apparently on some children it has the opposite effect!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:12 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard that too, seems a bit scary to knock them out that much, plus apparently on some children it has the opposite effect!
thats the one I gave to mine once for a 15 hour trip ..... MISTAKE!!

fine with my oldest, NIGHTMARE with the youngest who bounced off the wall for over 26 hours .... never seen anything like it and he was only 16 months.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:51 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of things...

First, there is a thing called an 'infant fare' that is good for children under 2 I think and allows them to get a full seat at about half the price you would pay for a normal ticket, or less. I'd give the airlines a call and see. You don't get the same luggage allotment for them, but you do get a full seat for them to sit in. Absent that, talk to the airline about securing a bulkhead seat (which often has a bassinet for them to sleep in, but no under seat storage so a bit of a trade off). Be sure to check out http://www.seatguru.com/ before your flight to check on the quality of your seats.

Second, as one who goes back and forth monthly, I think most passengers understand there are kids who cry. What they don't understand is parents who do nothing to deal with it. If you are trying to comfort the baby you'll get a lot more sympathy than just sort of ignoring it (which I've seen).

Third, bring doubles of most things, such as blankets, bottles, pacifiers, toys, etc. Plan for them hitting the floor (which is filthy) and having a rough time getting things washed.

Which gets me to the last point, if you have a 'cry it out philosophy' or "no pacifier" or "no tv" or any other thing that you are trying to teach the child (but which can often result in tantrums), consider giving those policies a rest for the 7 or 8 hours you are on the flight. It won't mess up the training or discipline lessons if you let something slide during the 'special time' when you are on a plane.

Good luck.

p.s. if all else fails, I like the other advice a) that most people are paying less than you and would add b) you'll probably never see most of those people again anyway...
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

hammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CarlM
Imagine how excited i am to be flying back to the UK.. with a toddler! Its overnight, which is something.. but any advice?? I suggested Vicodin for the child but my wife seems unconvinced.

Does baby bendryl work? Does anything work? or will i just be the target of hatred by the rest of the plane for 8 hours??

CM

Try Calpol for under 6's. Its what I gave my children if they couldn't sleep

If that fails slip a small amount of Guinness or Mackesons into babymilk. Its an old fashioned way of keeping a child nice n sleepy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.