Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Flying home with a 1 year old. What joy!

Flying home with a 1 year old. What joy!

Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:30 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flying home with a 1 year old. What joy!

Imagine how excited i am to be flying back to the UK.. with a toddler! Its overnight, which is something.. but any advice?? I suggested Vicodin for the child but my wife seems unconvinced.

Does baby bendryl work? Does anything work? or will i just be the target of hatred by the rest of the plane for 8 hours??

CM
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying home with a 1 year old. What joy!

Originally Posted by CarlM
Imagine how excited i am to be flying back to the UK.. with a toddler! Its overnight, which is something.. but any advice?? I suggested Vicodin for the child but my wife seems unconvinced.

Does baby bendryl work? Does anything work? or will i just be the target of hatred by the rest of the plane for 8 hours??

CM
valium for the rest of the passengers!!!

Dont think by keeping said child awake all day so that it will SLEEP on the plane. From experience believe me IT DOES NOT WORK! Have u paid for a seat ? Is it 1 nearly 2 or 1 just turned 1?
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:35 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
valium for the rest of the passengers!!!

Dont think by keeping said child awake all day so that it will SLEEP on the plane. From experience believe me IT DOES NOT WORK! Have u paid for a seat ? Is it 1 nearly 2 or 1 just turned 1?

She just turned 1, and her seat will be on our laps!
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

She just turned 1, and her seat will be on our laps!
oh it will be easy peasy! Why the pills and potions?
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:42 am
strangely floppy..

Originally Posted by Deedee13
oh it will be easy peasy! Why the pills and potions?

To ensure easy-peasyness!!!

Ive not flown with her before, and i am assuming the absolute worst! She sleeps regularly at night, all through the night.. but im just assuming it will be hell on the plane. Perhaps i owe her more credit! LOL
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

She'll be fine going, it's the coming back that can be a pain during the day time hour's, I did it alone with my Son on my lap at 14 month's, all I can say is best of luck I remember this subject popped up a few years ago and the mere mention of giving the child something to maybe help them sleep, well needless to say some got a right ear bashing
Old Apr 30th 2007, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure she'll be fine. I've been back a few times and there's always been young kids on the plane. I've seen a father pace the aisle with a baby, it was all I could do to stop from offering to take a shot of him to relieve the boredom for me!
People are sympathetic to parents on long flights with young kids, at least that's what I've always found. My son was three when he first flew and proceeded to stand on the seat and talk rubbish to the poor people behind us.
I think you'll be surprised at how much help you get, the flight attendants are always fantastic with our son.
Don't stress all will be fine!

Last edited by Texas Mom; Apr 30th 2007 at 4:44 am. Reason: I should really read what I type before posting! :-)
Old Apr 30th 2007, 4:21 am
strangely floppy..

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
I'm sure she'll be fine. I've bee back a few times and there's always been young kids on the plane. I've seen a father pace the aisle with a baby, it was all I could do to stop from offering to take a shot of him to relieve the boredom for me!
People are sympathetic to parents on long flights with young kids, at least that's what I've always found. My son was three when he first flew and proceeded to stand on the seat and talk rubbish to the poor people behind them.
I think you'll be surprised at how much help you get, the flight attendants are always fantastic with out son.
Don't stress all will be fine!

Thank you, thank you!. Thats the reponse i wanted to see! LOL..
Old Apr 30th 2007, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

Be sure to let me know how it goes. I'm planning a trip home in October with our new arrival (due July) and a five year old.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 4:59 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Check out some of these pages http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ng+with+a+baby

Lot's of helpful stuff.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 5:04 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
Be sure to let me know how it goes. I'm planning a trip home in October with our new arrival (due July) and a five year old.
veteran flyer - here... solo + baby twins + 3-year-old you'll survive....

don't even think of vicodin though - don't you watch House???

benadryl works fine for many but it can make some hyper, so have a trial run.

don't freak out if junior becomes tired + emotional. remember the rest of the passengers will probably have paid WAY less than you so it's okay for them to suffer just a little.

Old Apr 30th 2007, 5:05 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
veteran flyer - here... solo + baby twins + 3-year-old you'll survive....

benadryl works fine for many but it can make some hyper, so have a trial run.

don't freak out if junior becomes tired + emotional. remember the rest of the passengers will probably have paid WAY less than you so it's okay for them to suffer just a little.

Woaaah! You had my sympathy there until the last line! :curse:
Old Apr 30th 2007, 5:07 am
strangely floppy..

Originally Posted by Elvira

(Honestly, i wouldnt even give me Vicodin..!)
Old Apr 30th 2007, 5:07 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Woaaah! You had my sympathy there until the last line! :curse:
what can one do.... you don't know what it's like until you've tried it.

that goes for many other things too...
Old Apr 30th 2007, 5:08 am
strangely floppy..

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Check out some of these pages http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ng+with+a+baby

Lot's of helpful stuff.
Thank you.. some great stuff there too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.