Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Finally, moving back to England!

Finally, moving back to England!

Old Dec 6th 2021, 9:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally, moving back to England!

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Having just ordered a first time passport for a family member in the US. Time from receipt of documents by HM Passport to delivery of passport = 5-7 days. Application, payment and photos all done on HM Passport office online service: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

As previously mentioned you are making this more difficult than it need be and potentially creating future issues which will be more of a headache to resolve.
Britishness at its best.

Is that even English?
Old Dec 7th 2021, 2:07 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revans18
To everyone who responded that they got British passports while overseas, when did you get them? During the pandemic? Years ago? Last month? Just curious as I know the pandemic slowed the US passport service a lot. Thanks!

We renewed the kids passport last month from Canada. It took a bit longer than usual but still around 6 weeks.
Old Dec 7th 2021, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

I’m in Strasbourg, France and surrounded by other British friends and colleagues. We’re forever renewing our passports and the process has always been quick and painless.
Old Dec 10th 2021, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Nypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
In 2016 my wife and I renewed our British passports while living in the UK. No problem but had to send in our US passports as well.

Our son also renewed his British passport in 2016 while he was living in the USA. His old passport had expired more than 10 years ago so had to apply as if for the first time. A little more documentation such as birth certificate needed but he only needed to send in a scanned copy of his US passport. It did make it easy the following year when he moved back for good, showed his British passport at our local GP offices to register with the NHS as soon as he arrived.
Hi Durham_lad, this is probably a stupid question but here goes. I’m returning home after 30 years in the US, as a British citizen with a British passport do I need to apply for any kind of visa to reside in the UK?
Old Dec 10th 2021, 12:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nypool1e
Hi Durham_lad, this is probably a stupid question but here goes. I’m returning home after 30 years in the US, as a British citizen with a British passport do I need to apply for any kind of visa to reside in the UK?
No, as a citizen you have the right to live in the UK anytime you like. So if you're moving alone then you don't need to worry about visas, you'd only need a visa for a spouse or other family member that wanted to move with you and isn't a UK citizen.

HTH.
Old Dec 10th 2021, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Nypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No, as a citizen you have the right to live in the UK anytime you like. So if you're moving alone then you don't need to worry about visas, you'd only need a visa for a spouse or other family member that wanted to move with you and isn't a UK citizen.

HTH.
Thanks christmasoompa, I actually thought that was the case. As it happens my spouse who is not a British citizen is currently going through the visa process & has an interview on Tuesday, once again, thanks.
Old Dec 10th 2021, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

HTH.
Exactly right.

Our son was only age 4 when we took him and his sister to the USA with us in 1987. In 2016 he decided to move back the following year so applied for and got a new British Passport. He'd never had one as an adult, and when he moved back in 2017 to join us he just walked right in, registered with the NHS, registered to vote, applied and got a job and also his first ever NI number. It really was as easy as that. He has a strong US accent having grown up in Louisiana and Texas and when asked where he is from he surprises most when he says "Middlesbrough"
Old Dec 10th 2021, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Exactly right.

Our son was only age 4 when we took him and his sister to the USA with us in 1987. In 2016 he decided to move back the following year so applied for and got a new British Passport. He'd never had one as an adult, and when he moved back in 2017 to join us he just walked right in, registered with the NHS, registered to vote, applied and got a job and also his first ever NI number. It really was as easy as that. He has a strong US accent having grown up in Louisiana and Texas and when asked where he is from he surprises most when he says "Middlesbrough"
Thank you for the response durham_lad, appreciate it. If you don’t mind my asking, did you have US citizenship whilst living there? The reason I ask is that even though I will be back home I still have to file US tax returns annually as I have dual citizenship, did you have this issue to deal with & if so how did you handle it? Thanks.
Old Dec 10th 2021, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the response durham_lad, appreciate it. If you don’t mind my asking, did you have US citizenship whilst living there? The reason I ask is that even though I will be back home I still have to file US tax returns annually as I have dual citizenship, did you have this issue to deal with & if so how did you handle it? Thanks.
Yes, we all became US citizens while living in the USA. We file taxes in both the USA and UK every year. Our son has it easier than us as he converted his 401k into his existing Roth and has no other investments in the US. His Roth will be there for him when he is old enough and it will be tax free in both countries. That does mean that he gets away without doing any HMRC Self Assessment taxes as he has no foreign income so pays his HMRC taxes through PAYE. His US taxes are simple since he only has his UK job and excludes all of that with the FEIE form, 2555 when he file his US return each year.

On the other hand both my wife and I do have foreign income and investments so we both have to file HMRC SA tax returns plus a joint US tax return every year. We use foreign tax credits (IRS form 1116) to offset the UK taxes. It is what it is.
Old Dec 10th 2021, 2:41 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

My only comment would be, don't buy one way tickets.
They will be twice the price of a return ticket.
Book a return 3 moths out from when you plan to move to the UK.
Just don't bother turning up for the flight.
No, you will not get any sort of refund. If you tell them you plan to do this then they could ask you for more $$ to cover the cost of the difference between a single and a return.

We do this whenever cruising transatlantic.

That's another thought, why not sail back on the Queen Mary2 ? Much more preferable to flying. Also no luggage allowance to worry about
Old Dec 10th 2021, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, we all became US citizens while living in the USA. We file taxes in both the USA and UK every year. Our son has it easier than us as he converted his 401k into his existing Roth and has no other investments in the US. His Roth will be there for him when he is old enough and it will be tax free in both countries. That does mean that he gets away without doing any HMRC Self Assessment taxes as he has no foreign income so pays his HMRC taxes through PAYE. His US taxes are simple since he only has his UK job and excludes all of that with the FEIE form, 2555 when he file his US return each year.

On the other hand both my wife and I do have foreign income and investments so we both have to file HMRC SA tax returns plus a joint US tax return every year. We use foreign tax credits (IRS form 1116) to offset the UK taxes. It is what it is.
How do you go about filing your US tax returns though Durham? Do you go to the IRS website & file online or do you hire a US accountant to file for you annually?
Old Dec 10th 2021, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Revans18 is an unknown quantity at this point

I like your reply! Thank you! I am going to try for the British passports, as everyone on this thread tells me it is a simple process. Returning to the UK by ship—wow! Interesting idea…..
Old Dec 10th 2021, 8:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revans18
I like your reply! Thank you! I am going to try for the British passports, as everyone on this thread tells me it is a simple process. Returning to the UK by ship—wow! Interesting idea…..
I have travelled Transatlantic on the QM2 many times. It’s a great way to travel to Southampton from NYC…or at least it was pre Covid.
Old Dec 10th 2021, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have travelled Transatlantic on the QM2 many times. It’s a great way to travel to Southampton from NYC…or at least it was pre Covid.
Same here, it’s great.
Old Dec 10th 2021, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

How do you go about filing your US tax returns though Durham? Do you go to the IRS website & file online or do you hire a US accountant to file for you annually?
I hire a dual qualified US-UK tax accountant based in London. With my son’s return he does it himself using TurboTax, e-filing from the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.