Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Finally, moving back to England!

Finally, moving back to England!

Old Dec 10th 2021, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Nypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally, moving back to England!

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I hire a dual qualified US-UK tax accountant based in London. With my son’s return he does it himself using TurboTax, e-filing from the UK.
I have considered using a similar UK/US tax professional over here in the US, do you know if it’s cheaper to use a British based expert as opposed to a US expert seeing as how filing taxes will be an ongoing thing?
Old Dec 11th 2021, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nypool1e
I have considered using a similar UK/US tax professional over here in the US, do you know if it’s cheaper to use a British based expert as opposed to a US expert seeing as how filing taxes will be an ongoing thing?
I have never used a US based tax preparer so don't know I'm afraid.

Some of the below have been recommended by other posters. Some are inexpensive (less than $400), some are expensive ($1,000+).

https://www.greenbacktaxservices.com/

https://britishamericantax.com/

Expatriate Tax Services | US & US Expat Tax Returns | Ingelton Partners

https://www.hrblock.com/expat-tax-pr...caAtw7EALw_wcB

https://www.taxesforexpats.com/

https://www.usglobaltax.co.uk/

https://www.americanuktaxsolutions.com/about-us.html

American Tax Returns - US and UK Tax Experts Tel: 020 8946 0523

https://www.frankhirth.com/
Old Dec 11th 2021, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Nypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond reputeNypool1e has a reputation beyond repute

WOW!! Above & beyond durham_lad, thank you so much for those links, I think I owe you a pint or three.
Old Dec 11th 2021, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

WOW!! Above & beyond durham_lad, thank you so much for those links, I think I owe you a pint or three.
You are more than welcome. I have learned so much from this site that I like to give back when I can.
Old Dec 15th 2021, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Hi durham_lad, after you left the US how did you deal with any mail that you received once you had left the country? Did you contact the US postal service & inform them? Most correspondence my wife & I receive is generally junk or from charities but I would hate to miss the letter informing me an eccentric family member has left us a large inheritance.
Old Dec 15th 2021, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi durham_lad, after you left the US how did you deal with any mail that you received once you had left the country? Did you contact the US postal service & inform them? Most correspondence my wife & I receive is generally junk or from charities but I would hate to miss the letter informing me an eccentric family member has left us a large inheritance.
I went into the Post Office and set up international forwarding for 6 months.

We had retired 6 years earlier and left town for 6 months every year so I had gone paperless with everything I could prior to retirement and refined it over the years.
Old Dec 15th 2021, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I shall look into that.
Old Dec 15th 2021, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

I can’t remember the details except that I had to physically go into a post office. More info below

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Chang...ess-The-Basics

File Change of Address at the Post Office
  • International addresses (moving TO an international address) are eligible by using the Mover’s Guide only; International COA cannot be completed online
  • Pick up a Mover’s Guide at your local Post Office and follow all instructions
Old Dec 16th 2021, 1:25 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revans18
I like your reply! Thank you! Returning to the UK by ship—wow! Interesting idea…..
The last time we did this it was about $700 per ticket for an inside cabin with a veterans discount. It was a blast, met some interesting peoplpe.
Even got to have dinner with the captain!