Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Finally, moving back to England!

Finally, moving back to England!

Old Dec 3rd 2021, 12:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally, moving back to England!

Originally Posted by Revans18
No clue when our British passports expired, but it could have been 40 years ago….lol…yes, my daughter was born in the US.

If it’s over 10 years you will have to apply for a new passport…as opposed to a renewal.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 12:34 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

So, here’s another question: what if we purchased round trip tickets to the UK, travelled on our American passports and then just never left the UK? I know this sounds a bit shady, but what would happen really? Would some official come find us and deport us? I don’t think so! Once we get there, my first intention would be to get British passports. We have plenty (all) of family and friends to stay with if needed. Seems like it might be less expensive to forfeit the return airfare ?
Yes, you could do that. There’s really nothing wrong with simply cancelling the return portion of a ticket. Depending on the fare basis, you may or may not get back some money, or a credit. Then, as you say, get your British passports ASAP.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 12:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

BIP…can you enter the UK with a UK PP that expired decades ago, if you can show a UK birth certificate? Wouldn’t that be proof of citizenship?
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 12:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

So, here’s another question: what if we purchased round trip tickets to the UK, travelled on our American passports and then just never left the UK? I know this sounds a bit shady, but what would happen really? Would some official come find us and deport us? I don’t think so! Once we get there, my first intention would be to get British passports. We have plenty (all) of family and friends to stay with if needed. Seems like it might be less expensive to forfeit the return airfare ?
You are making this waaaaaaay more complicated than it needs to be! You have so much time, just sort passports and then you won't need to worry. It's honestly really easy and should be quick too.

Of course you won't be deported, you're citizens, but to make it easy and not have to worry about things like private healthcover (not eligible for using the NHS as visitors), etc, then just get your passports.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 1:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You are making this waaaaaaay more complicated than it needs to be! You have so much time, just sort passports and then you won't need to worry. It's honestly really easy and should be quick too.

Of course you won't be deported, you're citizens, but to make it easy and not have to worry about things like private healthcover (not eligible for using the NHS as visitors), etc, then just get your passports.

This.

Unless the difference in pricing between passports issued abroad and those issued in the UK is actually prohibitive for the OP, then why take risks, have doubts, or cause difficulties of any kind. Just get the passports here. Done.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Revans18 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a lot to sort out before we move and it is a huge deal for us. I was just asking for advice. The consensus seems to be “ just get the British passport”, but I know it won’t be that simple. Thanks.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, it really may be a lot less hassle to enter as visitors!
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 8:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Then you will not be entitled to use the NHS. If you enter as a resident you will. You will not be able to use travel/holiday insurance because you are not going on holiday

Just get the passports. Ask here if you need help with the forms.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 8:06 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

We have a lot to sort out before we move and it is a huge deal for us. I was just asking for advice. The consensus seems to be “ just get the British passport”, but I know it won’t be that simple. Thanks.

Why would it not be that simple?

Most of us here have done it, sometimes more than once.

It's a little faff to collect the forms and documents you need, but you would have to do that in the UK as well anyway. The only real difference is price, not simplicity.

It honestly isn't hard.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 9:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You still have to get the passports, but you’re adding in the risk of your child being refused boarding by the airline, hassle at entry to the UK and then only being admitted as a visitor so no NHS etc.

Wouldn’t it be simpler to just get the passports now and avoid the rest? There are tons of threads on the forum from others who’ve done the same, and lots of people to ask if you’ve got any queries.
Old Dec 3rd 2021, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

In 2016 my wife and I renewed our British passports while living in the UK. No problem but had to send in our US passports as well.

Our son also renewed his British passport in 2016 while he was living in the USA. His old passport had expired more than 10 years ago so had to apply as if for the first time. A little more documentation such as birth certificate needed but he only needed to send in a scanned copy of his US passport. It did make it easy the following year when he moved back for good, showed his British passport at our local GP offices to register with the NHS as soon as he arrived.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve heard it can take a year! I will look into it again, but I don’t want to mail my original UK birth certificate. Do you know if they accept electronic images/ files? Thanks
Obtaining British passports whilst your overseas is fairly easy process you are also given choices for delivery which will be added to the cost of the passport. You have plenty of time to apply and have it sent to you by October 2022 as the “others” have memtioned it will make your “entry” into the UK much easier and it will be quicker to establish yourselves with British passports upon arrival than applying whilst your in the UK. Good luck
Old Dec 6th 2021, 2:29 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brits1
Obtaining British passports whilst your overseas is fairly easy process you are also given choices for delivery which will be added to the cost of the passport. You have plenty of time to apply and have it sent to you by October 2022 as the “others” have memtioned it will make your “entry” into the UK much easier and it will be quicker to establish yourselves with British passports upon arrival than applying whilst your in the UK. Good luck
We renewed our British passports from Canada after a lag of nearly 20 years. It was the easiest thing we ever did. Super timely as well.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

To everyone who responded that they got British passports while overseas, when did you get them? During the pandemic? Years ago? Last month? Just curious as I know the pandemic slowed the US passport service a lot. Thanks!
Old Dec 6th 2021, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

To everyone who responded that they got British passports while overseas, when did you get them? During the pandemic? Years ago? Last month? Just curious as I know the pandemic slowed the US passport service a lot. Thanks!
Having just ordered a first time passport for a family member in the US. Time from receipt of documents by HM Passport to delivery of passport = 5-7 days. Application, payment and photos all done on HM Passport office online service: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

As previously mentioned you are making this more difficult than it need be and potentially creating future issues which will be more of a headache to resolve.

Last edited by vikingsail; Dec 6th 2021 at 6:48 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.