English accents on TV

Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:55 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English accents on TV

Originally Posted by Tom60
It's a southern thing. From the Urban Dictionary:

In the old days people used dollar coins. Some times they would cut them into 4 parts. (2 bits 4 bits). If someone wanted a dollar coin that was not in pieces, they would say "case dollar".This got refreshed several years ago. When some one walks up to you and they say, "Yo, you gots a case quarter?" most of the time they will have 2 dimes and 1 nickle.
A kid walks up to the person working in an arcade and ask "Yo, you gots a case quarter?" They need a quarter to put into a token machine so they can play a game.
Well there you go. I lived in VA for 4 years but I never heard the expression used there, just here in GA.

Thanks, mystery solved.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 3:13 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman in Eugene
Some other British actors in band of Brothers:

Dexter Fletcher played SSgt John Martin.
Rick Warden played 1st Lt Harry Welsh.
Robin Laing played Pvt Babe Hefron. He was born in Dundee, Scotland.

Owain Yeoman plays Wayne Rigsby in The Mentalist. He's Welsh.

Hugh Grant was born in Hammersmith Hospital, but his family home just down the road in Chiswick which is a great deal posher than Hammermith, and he was educated at Latymer and Oxford, putting the edge on his posh credentials.
I went through the cast list of BoB on IMDB once just to see how many were actually Brits in the main speaking roles and I gave up after about 10.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 3:55 pm
I Still Remember

NAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really niceNAR14 is just really nice

I'd like to flip the script for a second. How many of you would realize that Hugh Laurie is British just by watching an episode of "House"? To me, it sounds like he's trying to hard. It's almost like he has laryngitis.
Yes! Someone who agrees with me! I can only understand about the first half of each sentence he says, because by the end it sounds like he's ready to cough up blood and the words are just a gargle.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

Okachickima is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cindyabs
After 17 years here, I STILL don't know what case quarters are.
Your reference is the first time I ever heard the term.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NAR14
Yes! Someone who agrees with me! I can only understand about the first half of each sentence he says, because by the end it sounds like he's ready to cough up blood and the words are just a gargle.
Yes, but having said that, I'm hopelessly addicted to that show. Laurie (and his writers) are the best thing on TV. IMO, of course.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:47 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglishTeaDuck
Why do Americans have so much trouble understanding us? I have that standard southern medium -posh (parents fault, posh schooling!) accent that people here seem to think is the only English accent anyway, for the most part
I'm surprised that you're surprised that some Americans have trouble understanding English accents. After all, you pronounce words differently than the way they normally pronounce those words and/or than the way they regularly hear other people pronounce them. This is not unique to English speakers, btw. Chileans are well-known throughout Latin America for being especially difficult to understand among native Spanish speakers (which didn't help when I lived there for a couple of years!).

Mark has also told me that the English have their own troubles understanding how fellow Englishmen pronounce certain words. Here's an example of where this can go horribly awry (this got us in hysterics, btw!).

I honestly have not had trouble any time understanding an American, and I have met people from all over, with all sorts of accents from here. When I was in England, where I worked was in a port town so we had people from cruise liners etc coming in from all over the world, and I would understand them to serve them because I listened and made an effort. I would have felt rude not to do so.
Do you think many people from ultra-rural parts Alabama or Mississippi, etc go on European cruises? I doubt it.

They spoke a different language - HOW is it so hard to understand English???
You seem to think that English is a very simple language. It isn't. The fact that so many accents and dialects exist within even a 100 radius in England is amazing -- and also makes it much more clear why/how other English speakers will have a hard time understanding them.

I get the impression on the whole, that it is a case of fingers in ears, 'lalalalala you're not American so we can't hear you, learn to speak like us or leave!' Actually I have had several people say similar. Thanks for the welcome!
Really? If you're encountering a lot of Americans with that attitude, then you should consider meeting new people. But whatever you do, don't make a broad generalization and accuse all Americans of being like that.

By the way, yes, I still hate it here! 5 years and no end in sight unless I leave my husband
Aaah, well this explains a lot of your comments. I'm sorry you've had such a negative experience here.

~ Jenney
Old Jan 24th 2010, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond reputeTom60 has a reputation beyond repute

Americans who don't travel to the UK have been accustomed to only hearing Brit accents on TV or in the movies, and it tends to be the same sort of accent over and over. I don't know what region it comes from, but it's basically the way the kids on "Harry Potter" speak, and it's not that hard to understand. When confronted by accents from other regions, most Americans are flabbergasted. It's a shock.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I'm surprised that you're surprised that some Americans have trouble understanding English accents. After all, you pronounce words differently than the way they normally pronounce those words and/or than the way they regularly hear other people pronounce them. This is not unique to English speakers, btw. Chileans are well-known throughout Latin America for being especially difficult to understand among native Spanish speakers (which didn't help when I lived there for a couple of years!).
Haha I even have a hard time understanding Dominicans speaking sometimes, and they're like 50 miles west of Puerto Rico! But I have a hard time understanding Chileans and Argentinians especially they have a 'unique' way of talking. And I can't understand Spanish TV sometimes because they seem to like to mumble a lot
Old Jan 24th 2010, 6:01 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what region it comes from, but it's basically the way the kids on "Harry Potter" speak, and it's not that hard to understand.
people generally (or always used to) refer to that kind of English accent as "home counties", i.e. the south eastern corner of England
Old Jan 24th 2010, 6:09 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
people generally (or always used to) refer to that kind of English accent as "home counties", i.e. the south eastern corner of England
Is that the same as BBC English then?

There is a guy who does a voice for a cleaning product that has ( I think) a lovely comforting accent, not sure how muchmore to define it. It's not home counties though.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 6:13 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Is that the same as BBC English then?.
traditionally yes, but in recent decades the BBC has used a lot more presenters with "regional" accents.

There is a guy who does a voice for a cleaning product that has ( I think) a lovely comforting accent, not sure how muchmore to define it. It's not home counties though.
what's the product called and is it a TV advert? It might be on youtube.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 6:16 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by elfman
traditionally yes, but in recent decades the BBC has used a lot more presenters with "regional" accents.

what's the product called and is it a TV advert? It might be on youtube.
I'm trying to think. I have a habit of ignoring the product and paying attention to the storyline etc. I guess I'm not necessarily the audience type that the marketing firm likes.

The commercial is a woman being enclosed in a glass cube and she has to clean everything in the cube with one product.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 7:43 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry that you still feel that way.
English Tea Duck is clearly in a very difficult place and could do with some support rather than this sort of passive aggressive crap...
Old Jan 24th 2010, 8:18 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Elvira
English Tea Duck is clearly in a very difficult place and could do with some support rather than this sort of passive aggressive crap...
It was not passive agressive crap Elly, it was a sincere expression. It's too bad that she is still no happier than she was before. I realize her situation has not been an easy one, she's been on here awhile.

I don't go in for kicking someone when they're down.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 8:22 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

It was not passive agressive crap Elly.......
Here you are doing it again.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.