Council Tax reductions

Old Apr 4th 2017, 11:48 am
Account Closed

simplesimon291 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Council Tax reductions

Hi my question relates to Council tax for my partner who is in UK on a 2 year temporary VISA in that as I have paid and sponsored her, she is not entitled to any claims to/for benefits as I have paid her Health Insurance to UK Government why is she subject to Council Taxation as this would amount to double taxation as a non permanent resident on a temporary VISA? Her earnings are zero as she does not work and she is not a student. If anyone can shed further light on this area it would be helpful as this borders on abridgment of her Human Rights and slavery in claiming a form of sovereignty over her. Thank you in advance of any replies.:
Old Apr 4th 2017, 11:58 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Council Tax reductions

Old Apr 4th 2017, 12:10 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simplesimon291
Hi my question relates to Council tax for my partner who is in UK on a 2 year temporary VISA in that as I have paid and sponsored her, she is not entitled to any claims to/for benefits as I have paid her Health Insurance to UK Government why is she subject to Council Taxation as this would amount to double taxation as a non permanent resident on a temporary VISA? Her earnings are zero as she does not work and she is not a student. If anyone can shed further light on this area it would be helpful as this borders on abridgment of her Human Rights and slavery in claiming a form of sovereignty over her. Thank you in advance of any replies.:
I'm on a spouse visa. My husband and I pay Council tax, and I can't think of one good reason why we shouldn't.

The National Health Supplement is not health insurance, it's a supplement payment for the full NHS health services your partner is entitled to. When she's eligible she can apply for citizenship and won't have to pay this.

I'm sorry, but your comments re human rights infringement and slavery are nonsensical, and make a mockery of people who are really living under those conditions. Your partner has a choice whether or not to live in the UK.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

fathermike is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to pay Property taxes while living in the USA on a visa as a non-resident. This situation is no different to that.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Should not pay VAT either ?? The State expects people to pay taxes eben if they do not want and even if they have read volumes of Anarchist Philosophy. Pay up or go to the nick. Check out Thoreau and what happened to him !

Last edited by scot47; Apr 4th 2017 at 1:34 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm on a spouse visa. My husband and I pay Council tax, and I can't think of one good reason why we shouldn't.

The National Health Supplement is not health insurance, it's a supplement payment for the full NHS health services your partner is entitled to. When she's eligible she can apply for citizenship and won't have to pay this.

I'm sorry, but your comments re human rights infringement and slavery are nonsensical, and make a mockery of people who are really living under those conditions. Your partner has a choice whether or not to live in the UK.
_______

Well I must have misunderstood the heading "Health Insurance" when I paid it to UK Government ? I know the rest thank you.

Now your comments on Human Rights try reading the Human Rights 1998 and UDHR before commenting out of context with seemingly no knowledge of their meanings or useage.

Then perhaps your familiar with The Thailand and Great Britain in Ref. to UK / Thailand Double Taxation Convention Signed on the 18 February 1981 ?

If you and your partner choose to pay then its your choice but don't use the Royal "we" I'm not in your we reasoning.

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 4th 2017 at 10:16 pm. Reason: fix quotes
Old Apr 4th 2017, 12:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

_______

Well I must have misunderstood the heading "Health Insurance" when I paid it to UK Government ? I know the rest thank you.

Now your comments on Human Rights try reading the Human Rights 1998 and UDHR before commenting out of context with seemingly no knowledge of their meanings or useage.

Then perhaps your familiar with The Thailand and Great Britain in Ref. to UK / Thailand Double Taxation Convention Signed on the 18 February 1981 ?

If you and your partner choose to pay then its your choice but don't use the Royal "we" I'm not in your we reasoning.
Oh dear. I hope you feel better soon

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 4th 2017 at 10:17 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fathermike
I had to pay Property taxes while living in the USA on a visa as a non-resident. This situation is no different to that.
I am willing to pay Council Tax BUT not EXTRA when I have paid handsomely already for my partner, the USA I can't comment on only UK. Now with what authority if you or your partner owned your own house does someone have a right to charge you extra for non existent Services etc, which have already been paid to Government. Do Council provide ANYTHING EXTRA - no they don't as its not allowed but want to charge for what?

If everything else has been paid for via partners VISA and your partner is not a "burden" on state = no benefits but in using the concept of you have to pay then every holiday booked is subject to full not a partial in UK Council Tax as its a temporary stay just as a temporary VISA or is it? One further reference being:
The Thailand and Great Britain in Ref. to UK / Thailand Double Taxation Convention Signed on the 18 February 1981.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 1:22 pm
Account Closed

Oh dear. I hope you feel better soon
I feel a lot better thank you

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 4th 2017 at 10:17 pm. Reason: quotes
Old Apr 4th 2017, 1:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Now with what authority if you or your partner owned your own house does someone have a right to charge you extra for non existent Services etc, which have already been paid to Government. Do Council provide ANYTHING EXTRA - no they don't as its not allowed but want to charge for what?
Counci tax covers all sorts of things, including council services (refuse collection etc), but also emergency services i.e. police etc. Basically it covers an awful lot, and of course everybody that's living in a home should pay it, why should other UK taxpayers subsidise your gf? The health insurance surcharge you've already paid is nothing to do with what council tax pays for, you're not paying double for anything.

As said above, if your gf doesn't want to pay it then nobody is forcing her to live in the UK.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 1:43 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

All dwellings are subject to paying council tax, either the landlord or more commonly the occupant, usually if there is only one person living there then the council tax can be reduced by 25% for single occupancy. As she is unable to claim public funds then she will have to pay the council tax, which is, in fact, a local tax as rates vary from one area to another. I fail to understand why you feel it is double taxation.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Single occupancy council tax reduction . . .

Reducing your council tax bill - Which?
Old Apr 4th 2017, 2:13 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=simplesimon291;12221238]

Not too sure what sort of visa she is on, but why doesn't she live with you? then you would not have to pay a second council tax.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 2:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So do I. I haven't read anything as funny as your mad posts for ages.

<snip>

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 4th 2017 at 3:35 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 4:05 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mikelincs
All dwellings are subject to paying council tax, either the landlord or more commonly the occupant, usually if there is only one person living there then the council tax can be reduced by 25% for single occupancy. As she is unable to claim public funds then she will have to pay the council tax, which is, in fact, a local tax as rates vary from one area to another. I fail to understand why you feel it is double taxation.
Hi Mikelinics the problem that arise that as a single person you are right it is 75% for single occupancy but as a non permanent resident should not be subject to council tax as a foreign immigrant on a temporary non resident 2 year VISA. The rates would be easy to resolve previously but were repealed and replaced with council tax. As she returns home her permanent residence and taxation is in Thailand not the UK, hence the treaty on double taxation that I posted of which if she stays in Thailand for 3 months how is she liable for council tax when she is not in UK as a Thai National in overriding her sovereignty and Human Rights ergo a minimum of 3 moths council taxation at the least should disregarded. Which is rather like saying any visitor to UK should pay full council tax. Maxim "What ever is done in excess is prohibited by law." I'm not sure what you are stating "no public funding has to pay (?)" However, maxim "In a fiction of law, equity always subsists." and there is no equity in the above. Thank you for reply <snip>

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 4th 2017 at 4:08 pm. Reason: No need for the snide comments just because you don't agree with others replies.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.