Council Tax reductions

Old Apr 4th 2017, 4:39 pm
  #16  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 7
simplesimon291 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Council Tax reductions

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Counci tax covers all sorts of things, including council services (refuse collection etc), but also emergency services i.e. police etc. Basically it covers an awful lot, and of course everybody that's living in a home should pay it, why should other UK taxpayers subsidise your gf? The health insurance surcharge you've already paid is nothing to do with what council tax pays for, you're not paying double for anything.

As said above, if your gf doesn't want to pay it then nobody is forcing her to live in the UK.
I have already paid for the services mentioned in council tax of which objectively only bin collection has been used plus if you research you will find the Government has already paid for these "services" and I have already paid via my GF VISA. Now these "services" people talk about how many homeless people are there - lots. But have you looked at your local councils pension out of council tax ? One example being GMC that is pension fund financed by peoples council tax which has as a fact what is termed an "untouchable pension fund" of over 20 million pounds without going into the exorbitant council salaries paid but the councils have no money for homeless people

So if people look at the term "sum certain" and precedence in Law you will find councils are not truthful or accurate. If my GF is financially sponsored fully and not allowed any "benefits or funding" how is she a burden on anyone in the UK or the services already paid for that you mention? To all extents and purposes she should be disregarded having paid already via her VISA fees etc.
simplesimon291 is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2017, 4:52 pm
  #17  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,025
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Council Tax reductions

Originally Posted by simplesimon291
I have already paid for the services mentioned in council tax of which objectively only bin collection has been used plus if you research you will find the Government has already paid for these "services" and I have already paid via my GF VISA. Now these "services" people talk about how many homeless people are there - lots. But have you looked at your local councils pension out of council tax ? One example being GMC that is pension fund financed by peoples council tax which has as a fact what is termed an "untouchable pension fund" of over 20 million pounds without going into the exorbitant council salaries paid but the councils have no money for homeless people

So if people look at the term "sum certain" and precedence in Law you will find councils are not truthful or accurate. If my GF is financially sponsored fully and not allowed any "benefits or funding" how is she a burden on anyone in the UK or the services already paid for that you mention? To all extents and purposes she should be disregarded having paid already via her VISA fees etc.
Her visa fees have absolutely nothing to do with the services paid for by council tax.

Great that she's only used refuse collection out of the services paid for under council tax, but what if (God forbid) she needed to use another service, such as the fire service? Or what if she just fancies joining the local library? Or the local council owned gym/swimming pool? None of those things are 'benefit or funding', but she's entitled to them, so why shouldn't she pay her way rather than us all paying for her?
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2017, 5:49 pm
  #18  
Dichotomus tinker
 
not2old's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,678
not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Council Tax reductions

Originally Posted by simplesimon291
I have already paid for the services mentioned in council tax of which objectively only bin collection
If you & your GF live together then it's only one council tax, not double. 25% reduction if single occupancy, or maybe you'd like to be fully exempt?

https://www.gov.uk/apply-council-tax-reduction

If you feel so strong about this & you'll get no sympathy on this from me, is my suggestion to you is to go to your local council to tell them you will not pay the council tax on the following basis

That you will take your rubbish to the tip yourself, that you do not want to avail yourself of police services, clean streets, library, fire service, parks, that you don't want children to go to school (like you did when you were a child paid for by council tax), that folks that die should be thrown on the street & not be burned or buried etc

That you will not travel on public transit that uses roads paid for by council tax, that any pollution should not betaken care of for all the air that you breath, that you don't want water & sewer services.... the list goes on.

That you are OK with everyone else in the UK paying council tax except you & your GF

That you should either be locked up in prison for not paying your council tax or leave the UK to go live in another country

FWIW from a local council 'what does the council tax cover'

What does it pay for?

"This is a question that millions of hard-working households don’t know the answer to and it varies from council to council – but your Council Tax will go towards funding these 11 local services and amenities:

The local library: In addition to book-lending services, public libraries usually offer community classes, special events and computer facilities – which your Council Tax pays for.
Police and fire services: Both receive funding from multiple sources, one of which is your Council Tax.

Street cleaning and waste collection: Rubbish collection, recycling and street cleaning are all paid for from the Council Tax pot. This includes commercial collections too.

Water and sewerage services: In Scotland, Council Tax includes the cost of water and sewerage services.

Parks and recreation: Maintenance and upkeep for public spaces, parks, galleries, theatres, museums, leisure centres and community swimming pools is all paid for with Council Tax. This can also extend to museums, which means free entry.

Social services programs: This means everything from day care for children to assistance for vulnerable individuals such as those with dementia.

Schools, education and youth services: In England, schools are funded by the central government’s Dedicated Schools Grant. However, Council Tax is sometimes used to help boost education and fund programs such as after-school care or at-risk youth services. In Scotland, schools are funded entirely by Council Tax.

Housing provision and advice: Council/social housing is funded through the local council, often with the use of this tax. People who are homeless or living in unsafe conditions are prioritised.

Community development: Councils can use the tax revenue to undertake projects which might benefit the growth of their community. Glasgow City Council for example, recently funded the completion of the M74 motorway and Riverside Museum with Council Tax.

Street lighting and road and bridge maintenance: Many road bridges are owned and maintained by the council so maintenance and repairs need to be paid for by this tax. Street lighting and council car parks are also included.

Administration and record keeping: Council Tax pays for the cost of local elections, as well as administrative issues, including registrars of marriages, deaths, and births. Mortuary and cemetery services may also be covered by Council Tax, as well as the administrative costs of running a council"
not2old is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2017, 6:19 pm
  #19  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,114
HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Council Tax reductions

Originally Posted by simplesimon291
Hi my question relates to Council tax for my partner who is in UK on a 2 year temporary VISA in that as I have paid and sponsored her, she is not entitled to any claims to/for benefits as I have paid her Health Insurance to UK Government why is she subject to Council Taxation as this would amount to double taxation as a non permanent resident on a temporary VISA? Her earnings are zero as she does not work and she is not a student. If anyone can shed further light on this area it would be helpful as this borders on abridgment of her Human Rights and slavery in claiming a form of sovereignty over her. Thank you in advance of any replies.:
Since the OP's partner is not working, can she not enrolled into a full time higher / further education course in order to get a reduction in council tax?
HKG3 is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2017, 6:32 pm
  #20  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 12,865
Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Council Tax reductions

Originally Posted by simplesimon291
I have already paid for the services mentioned in council tax of which objectively only bin collection has been used plus if you research you will find the Government has already paid for these "services" and I have already paid via my GF VISA.
Do you ever set foot outside your house and notice those pesky roads and pavements? How do you think they get paid for?
Giantaxe is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2017, 6:34 pm
  #21  
Banned
 
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 364
az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Council Tax reductions

Originally Posted by not2old
If you & your GF live together then it's only one council tax, not double. 25% reduction if single occupancy, or maybe you'd like to be fully exempt?

https://www.gov.uk/apply-council-tax-reduction

If you feel so strong about this & you'll get no sympathy on this from me, is my suggestion to you is to go to your local council to tell them you will not pay the council tax on the following basis

That you will take your rubbish to the tip yourself, that you do not want to avail yourself of police services, clean streets, library, fire service, parks, that you don't want children to go to school (like you did when you were a child paid for by council tax), that folks that die should be thrown on the street & not be burned or buried etc

That you will not travel on public transit that uses roads paid for by council tax, that any pollution should not betaken care of for all the air that you breath, that you don't want water & sewer services.... the list goes on.

That you are OK with everyone else in the UK paying council tax except you & your GF

That you should either be locked up in prison for not paying your council tax or leave the UK to go live in another country

FWIW from a local council 'what does the council tax cover'

What does it pay for?

"This is a question that millions of hard-working households don’t know the answer to and it varies from council to council – but your Council Tax will go towards funding these 11 local services and amenities:

The local library: In addition to book-lending services, public libraries usually offer community classes, special events and computer facilities – which your Council Tax pays for.
Police and fire services: Both receive funding from multiple sources, one of which is your Council Tax.

Street cleaning and waste collection: Rubbish collection, recycling and street cleaning are all paid for from the Council Tax pot. This includes commercial collections too.

Water and sewerage services: In Scotland, Council Tax includes the cost of water and sewerage services.

Parks and recreation: Maintenance and upkeep for public spaces, parks, galleries, theatres, museums, leisure centres and community swimming pools is all paid for with Council Tax. This can also extend to museums, which means free entry.

Social services programs: This means everything from day care for children to assistance for vulnerable individuals such as those with dementia.

Schools, education and youth services: In England, schools are funded by the central government’s Dedicated Schools Grant. However, Council Tax is sometimes used to help boost education and fund programs such as after-school care or at-risk youth services. In Scotland, schools are funded entirely by Council Tax.

Housing provision and advice: Council/social housing is funded through the local council, often with the use of this tax. People who are homeless or living in unsafe conditions are prioritised.

Community development: Councils can use the tax revenue to undertake projects which might benefit the growth of their community. Glasgow City Council for example, recently funded the completion of the M74 motorway and Riverside Museum with Council Tax.

Street lighting and road and bridge maintenance: Many road bridges are owned and maintained by the council so maintenance and repairs need to be paid for by this tax. Street lighting and council car parks are also included.

Administration and record keeping: Council Tax pays for the cost of local elections, as well as administrative issues, including registrars of marriages, deaths, and births. Mortuary and cemetery services may also be covered by Council Tax, as well as the administrative costs of running a council"


Game..set..match!
az2014 is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2017, 6:36 pm
  #22  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 7
simplesimon291 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Council Tax reductions

"Her visa fees have absolutely nothing to do with the services paid for by council tax."
precedence in Law please not just words or hearsay.

Great that she's only used refuse collection out of the services paid for under council tax, but what if (God forbid) she needed to use another service, such as the fire service? Or what if she just fancies joining the local library?
Maybe which is what a lot of people on here need to do.

Or the local council owned gym/swimming pool?
Pays for entry not free no "benefits or funding".

[ None of those things are 'benefit or funding', but she's entitled to them
,
Wrong but if not funded why pay for them in council tax?

so why shouldn't she pay her way rather than us all paying for her?
You haven't paid ANYTHING for my GF but crack on with your thoughts I'm outa here this forum has nothing of learning

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 4th 2017 at 11:22 pm. Reason: Hopefully fix the quotes
simplesimon291 is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2017, 6:44 pm
  #23  
Dichotomus tinker
 
not2old's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,678
not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Council Tax reductions

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Do you ever set foot outside your house and notice those pesky roads and pavements? How do you think they get paid for?
simplesimon doesn't care

Could it be that simplesimon does not go past the front door of his abode, does everything he needs to do inside the four walls on his computer, has someone doing all the domestic chores for him, any medical attention or care comes to the house, groceries are delivered in

Maybe simplesimon does not work, could he also be on benefits , likely never has experienced a blocked sewer or a disruption in utility services, has never used the 999 service, doesn't have a NI number (then again would need that to collect welfare benefits).

Could it be that simplesimon doesn't live in the UK & therefore doesn't have to pay council tax?
not2old is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2017, 6:51 pm
  #24  
Dichotomus tinker
 
not2old's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,678
not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Council Tax reductions

Originally Posted by simplesimon291
You haven't paid ANYTHING for my GF but crack on with your thoughts I'm outa here this forum has nothing of learning[/B]
On BE you get to read some very interesting posts & learn from them, well at least I do

stick around 'simplesimon' I find your posts interesting & your comments even more stupid

Do tell us where your GF is from?

Also tell us if you are British born & bred, that you went to school in the UK, that you work & pay income tax as well as national insurance and council tax?

That your GF will never ever or has not used any local council service?

That your GF is living with you or not & if not, then under the law of the land wherever she is living paying rent (she is not a student) she must pay council tax.

Give us a REALLY GOOD reason why she & she alone should not pay council tax?

.

Last edited by not2old; Apr 4th 2017 at 8:00 pm.
not2old is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2017, 7:02 pm
  #25  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 9,648
SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Council Tax reductions

Can't wait until partner's current visa is up and OP has to pay for extention of visa plus the IHS sucharge again......... his next post should be a "doozie"
SanDiegogirl is online now  
Old Apr 4th 2017, 7:05 pm
  #26  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 21,137
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Council Tax reductions

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Can't wait until partner's current visa is up and OP has to pay for extention of visa plus the IHS sucharge again......... his next post should be a "doozie"
He'll probably write to Amnesty
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2017, 7:17 pm
  #27  
Dichotomus tinker
 
not2old's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,678
not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Council Tax reductions

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Can't wait until partner's current visa is up and OP has to pay for extention of visa plus the IHS sucharge again......... his next post should be a "doozie"

indeed, new fee rates apply as of April 2017

Thanks to HKG3 for the following posted on another thread

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...le_Apr2017.pdf
not2old is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2017, 7:19 pm
  #28  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,025
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Council Tax reductions

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Can't wait until partner's current visa is up and OP has to pay for extention of visa plus the IHS sucharge again......... his next post should be a "doozie"
This forum 'has nothing of learning though' (no, I've no idea what that means either).
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2017, 7:44 pm
  #29  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: My happy place
Posts: 3,043
Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Council Tax reductions

Christ on a f*&%ing bike.

I feel more Australian with every passing day.
Tr1boy is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2017, 11:36 pm
  #30  
Crazy Cat Lady
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 65,493
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Council Tax reductions

Simplesimon, no idea if you and your girlfriend are still here but fyi it's 'visa' not 'VISA'. The latter is a credit card.
moneypenny20 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.