Council Tax reductions

Old Apr 5th 2017, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Council Tax reductions

When I have an empty property I am expected to pay full council tax. I don't think that is fair either, I don't even live in the UK so use zero services. I just accept it as having the right to own a property in the UK. Take it of leave it. You have a choice like everyone else. Don't pay, take the consequences, dump your GF or just pay like everyone else.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 8:14 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Simplesimon, no idea if you and your girlfriend are still here but fyi it's 'visa' not 'VISA'. The latter is a credit card.
OP has left the building, says 'account closed'
Old Apr 6th 2017, 9:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
OP has left the building, says 'account closed'
Yeah I posted that before he left. Doesn't hurt to remind people though
Old Apr 6th 2017, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

For reference, here is the first verse of the Simple Simon nursery rhyme:

Simple Simon met a pieman going to the fair;
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Let me taste your ware"
Said the pieman to Simple Simon "Show me first your penny"
Said Simple Simon to the pieman "Sir, I have not any!"
Old Apr 7th 2017, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

cdfergus is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by not2old
If you & your GF live together then it's only one council tax, not double. 25% reduction if single occupancy, or maybe you'd like to be fully exempt?

https://www.gov.uk/apply-council-tax-reduction

If you feel so strong about this & you'll get no sympathy on this from me, is my suggestion to you is to go to your local council to tell them you will not pay the council tax on the following basis

That you will take your rubbish to the tip yourself, that you do not want to avail yourself of police services, clean streets, library, fire service, parks, that you don't want children to go to school (like you did when you were a child paid for by council tax), that folks that die should be thrown on the street & not be burned or buried etc

That you will not travel on public transit that uses roads paid for by council tax, that any pollution should not betaken care of for all the air that you breath, that you don't want water & sewer services.... the list goes on.

That you are OK with everyone else in the UK paying council tax except you & your GF

That you should either be locked up in prison for not paying your council tax or leave the UK to go live in another country

FWIW from a local council 'what does the council tax cover'

What does it pay for?

"This is a question that millions of hard-working households don’t know the answer to and it varies from council to council – but your Council Tax will go towards funding these 11 local services and amenities:

The local library: In addition to book-lending services, public libraries usually offer community classes, special events and computer facilities – which your Council Tax pays for.
Police and fire services: Both receive funding from multiple sources, one of which is your Council Tax.

Street cleaning and waste collection: Rubbish collection, recycling and street cleaning are all paid for from the Council Tax pot. This includes commercial collections too.

Water and sewerage services: In Scotland, Council Tax includes the cost of water and sewerage services.

Parks and recreation: Maintenance and upkeep for public spaces, parks, galleries, theatres, museums, leisure centres and community swimming pools is all paid for with Council Tax. This can also extend to museums, which means free entry.

Social services programs: This means everything from day care for children to assistance for vulnerable individuals such as those with dementia.

Schools, education and youth services: In England, schools are funded by the central government’s Dedicated Schools Grant. However, Council Tax is sometimes used to help boost education and fund programs such as after-school care or at-risk youth services. In Scotland, schools are funded entirely by Council Tax.

Housing provision and advice: Council/social housing is funded through the local council, often with the use of this tax. People who are homeless or living in unsafe conditions are prioritised.

Community development: Councils can use the tax revenue to undertake projects which might benefit the growth of their community. Glasgow City Council for example, recently funded the completion of the M74 motorway and Riverside Museum with Council Tax.

Street lighting and road and bridge maintenance: Many road bridges are owned and maintained by the council so maintenance and repairs need to be paid for by this tax. Street lighting and council car parks are also included.

Administration and record keeping: Council Tax pays for the cost of local elections, as well as administrative issues, including registrars of marriages, deaths, and births. Mortuary and cemetery services may also be covered by Council Tax, as well as the administrative costs of running a council"