Confession

Old May 8th 2007, 9:24 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confession

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
I want to go home, yes after 4 months
You have nothing to feel foolish about, it's a completely new life on the other side of the world and at least you had the guts to try it out.
My only advice would be to stick it out for another 8 months or so as anything can happen..

Believe me, you aren't missing anything here in the UK at the moment except family & friends.

Good luck to you both
Old May 8th 2007, 10:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
you really need to move down here Polly, we are the only brits here and everybody has been fantastic we've had offers of everything from irons to washing machines till our stuff arrives. the woman at the furniture shop has even lent us a nest of tables! I just cannot imagine that happening back in the uk.
Sounds lovely The neighbours my ex had in tassie were like that, all really friendly from when I first met them, but not nosey, just genuine - you felt they'd be there if you needed them.
Old May 8th 2007, 10:42 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sounds lovely The neighbours my ex had in tassie were like that, all really friendly from when I first met them, but not nosey, just genuine - you felt they'd be there if you needed them.
Your neighbour sounds like a right old bat Polly. Can't you poison her favourite plant?
Old May 8th 2007, 12:05 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Your neighbour sounds like a right old bat Polly. Can't you poison her favourite plant?
Judging by her opinion of the poms, she'd probably soon work out it was me
Old May 8th 2007, 12:35 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Judging by her opinion of the poms, she'd probably soon work out it was me
Get the bloke to do it.......
Old May 10th 2007, 9:16 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Get the bloke to do it.......
I'll get him to visit her in the small hours and put a bat up her nightdress..... (sorry, just been watching Fawlty Towers!)

Old May 10th 2007, 10:36 am
'In limboland'

I'll get him to visit her in the small hours and put a bat up her nightdress..... (sorry, just been watching Fawlty Towers!)

http://vampirboard.de/phpBB2/images/...fledermaus.gif
Old May 10th 2007, 12:28 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
I want to go home, yes after 4 months. I feel really foolish at the moment, it wasn't that long ago i was writing how happy i was in my update which i have been waiting to do for over a year . Australia is not for me. I don't think it can give me and my family a better life. Maybe if we had of come with more money, but we seem to be watching the penny's all the time as my husband wages are a lot less than the UK. The dream of the 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom, and a pool gone out of the window. We live on a complex where the duck's like to crap around the pool.

I think the thing i miss most about the UK is the security. Our Pensions, life insurance, on the property ladder due to my husband's good wage. Here i live in a rented house, and husband with no job (due to his Kn*b of a boss) and when he did i don't think we could afford life insurance, good pensions and health insurance or even a Mortgage for a decent house plus the cost of living. I do miss my family and friends but it is not the reason i want to go home. I am very scared at the moment if i stay in Australia i am not going to give the kids the life i wanted for them.

I did do research before coming out on husband wage and the cost of living, but we were just so excited about coming i really did under estimate the cost of living. Also I've noticed

That some Australians not to be very friendly or helpful, which i can't get my head around.
How scruffy the kids look in there uniforms.
How much bad language you hear on the tele and radio.
How they beep there horn at you so quickly.
The postman has no respect for the post, squashing a big envelope in a small mail box ripping it to peaces, or leaving it half hanging out when it's peeing down of rain.
Undertaking on the motorway
This is just a few of the things that niggle me, and every day one more adds to the list.

Haven't told my family yet, don't know what's going to be worst when i told them i was leaving and the tears. Or that we are coming home and the "Told you so"

So there you are i have come out of the closet and i want to go home. Haven't decided when but definitely within the year.

From a very confused and scared,

Stacey
Don't feel bad, it is difficult to be happy when you feel financially insecure. True, money doesn't guarantee happiness, but being without money can make it very difficult to be happy. I feel a bit like a broken record because this seems to be a thread in so many of my recent posts. My only real regret of being an expat for 23 years is that at 50 y.o., with a PhD and a decent job at a major university, I'm poorer than most 50 y.o.'s who never left the UK. If I'd stayed in the US I would have been able to pay off my mortgage easily within 5 years; now I'm saddled with a new 25-yr mortgage amounting to almost 50% of my take-home pay (and getting higher).

Being an expat can be a financial crapshoot involving currency exchange rates, the property market in the UK and wherever you are, the type of employment you are in (i.e., whether you self-fund emigration or were financed by your employer), prospects for promotion in your adopted country and lots of other things. Some people are fortunate that all of these factors go in the "right" direction for them, others it can be the exact opposite.

My recommendation (take or leave) is to try to evaluate your likelihood of making a decent living (financially) in Oz and if it's low, cut your losses. Get back on the UK housing ladder, get back into a decent paying job and get back to normal. As others have said, this does not constitute failure and if people at home say I told you so (which I don't think is likely), ignore them. They are just small-minded people who are just bitter that they aren't brave enough to take a risk.
Old May 10th 2007, 8:58 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B

Believe me, you aren't missing anything here in the UK at the moment except family & friends.
And the lovely countryside, national parks, the lakes and hills and rivers, beautiful old cities, the fantastic spring weather we've had for the last month, lovely historic buildings, the culture, sense of humour, great shops, great service, good TV, great social life, nightlife, country pubs, country walks, great choice of everything, easy access/cheap flights to Europe, village fetes and fayres, enough sport to tire even the most avid sports fan, theme parks, funfairs, museums, theatres, zoos......

Edited to add decent wages and better quality of life

Last edited by LouiseD; May 10th 2007 at 9:02 pm. Reason: To add a bit
Old May 11th 2007, 3:35 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by LouiseD
And the lovely countryside, national parks, the lakes and hills and rivers, beautiful old cities, the fantastic spring weather we've had for the last month, lovely historic buildings, the culture, sense of humour, great shops, great service, good TV, great social life, nightlife, country pubs, country walks, great choice of everything, easy access/cheap flights to Europe, village fetes and fayres, enough sport to tire even the most avid sports fan, theme parks, funfairs, museums, theatres, zoos......

Edited to add decent wages and better quality of life
Sense of truly belonging. Decent non racist radio presenters. DJ's that don't use foul language as a matter of course. Decent TV presenters.
Old May 11th 2007, 4:35 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Issie
And in the UK....i live in a close of 16 semi detatched houses. My direct neighbour is the only one who says hello...i have been there 9 years
I reckon it's the luck of the draw - how your neighbours are - whichever country you live in. There were only three houses on my lane in the UK and we got on brilliantly well with the people on either side. In fact it's safe to say that the people I miss most are my old neighbours to the right of our old house. Got good ones here too - couple in their 50s on one side (Derek and Kathy) and an old retired lady called Margaret next door. Both sets were very welcoming when we arrived. I lived in Bath for a decade, had loads of friends there, but never even met the neighbours on either side of the house. When I was a kid, growing up in Letchworth, I knew pretty much everyone in every house 500 metres each way up and down our street. Times change I guess.
Old May 16th 2007, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Phil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Issie
And in the UK....i live in a close of 16 semi detatched houses. My direct neighbour is the only one who says hello...i have been there 9 years
Still in the UK...........I moved to cul de sac of semi detached houses 10 months ago and our neighbours are friendly, they put out our wheelie bin for us , others bring us tomato's and everyone always says hello...
Old May 17th 2007, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I reckon it's the luck of the draw - how your neighbours are - whichever country you live in. There were only three houses on my lane in the UK and we got on brilliantly well with the people on either side. In fact it's safe to say that the people I miss most are my old neighbours to the right of our old house. Got good ones here too - couple in their 50s on one side (Derek and Kathy) and an old retired lady called Margaret next door. Both sets were very welcoming when we arrived. I lived in Bath for a decade, had loads of friends there, but never even met the neighbours on either side of the house. When I was a kid, growing up in Letchworth, I knew pretty much everyone in every house 500 metres each way up and down our street. Times change I guess.
This is true for me too. Living in London I never new my neighbors. In Washington DC I lived in a townhouse and never really got to know anyone as people seemed to move every few years and every house on our street was put up for sale and sold within the two years we lived there. I was really lonely in both places. Now I live in a small town. The subdivision is smaller and friendlier.
Old May 17th 2007, 11:38 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JULIEROSE
Now I live in a small town. The subdivision is smaller and friendlier.
Yep - small towns are generally better, but you do sometimes run into resistance from the born-and-breds who look on newcomers as blow-ins.