Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Communities for the bargain basement crowd?

Communities for the bargain basement crowd?

Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Communities for the bargain basement crowd?

Originally Posted by not2old
true & so is Niagara Falls, Blackpool or any other tourist attraction

The Creature - have you ever been to Liverpool & spent some time there other than going through the John Lennon (Speke) Airport or Lime St station - or perhaps it was a bad experience?
I'm from the North West, so yes, plenty.
Liverpool has been a city in decline for decades and it shows.
Not everywhere is worth a visit and if I was pressed for time, Liverpool isn't one of the places I would be going to see.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:11 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCreature
I'm from the North West, so yes, plenty.
Liverpool has been a city in decline for decades and it shows.
Not everywhere is worth a visit and if I was pressed for time, Liverpool isn't one of the places I would be going to see.
OK, so where would you recommend someone going to the UK on a limited budget that would not be staying with friends or family - the go to go see or do places?

Liverpool is a day out just like going to Glasgow, Manchester or Chester
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:18 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

back on topic

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-44032205.html
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so where would you recommend someone going to the UK on a limited budget that would not be staying with friends or family - the go to go see or do places?

Liverpool is a day out just like going to Glasgow, Manchester or Chester
I thought this was supposed to be about places to live?

Regardless, trying to come up with a list of places is a thankless task, as there's plenty of them and no matter what you pick, people either disagree or just add to the list until it becomes ridiculously large.

All I'm saying is that you can't go everywhere and that Liverpool wouldn't be one of the cities I'd be going... I wouldn't be going to Middlesborough or Port Talbot either.. but perhaps others might.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-25789278.html

OK, I don't know Ince, but I do know the area that one is in.
It's in Newton Heath in Manchester. One of the most economically deprived areas in the UK, with a very high crime rate too boot. That house is also on a main road.
So comparing the two... you need to ask why the one in Ince is a lot cheaper?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this was supposed to be about places to live?

Regardless, trying to come up with a list of places is a thankless task, as there's plenty of them and no matter what you pick, people either disagree or just add to the list until it becomes ridiculously large.

All I'm saying is that you can't go everywhere and that Liverpool wouldn't be one of the cities I'd be going... I wouldn't be going to Middlesborough or Port Talbot either.. but perhaps others might.
I'm retired - lived in America for the last 24 years - would like to get to know Britain a bit better, bearing in mind that I know places like the Brecon Beacons and Dartmoor and the Lake District, and cities like York, Norwich, Exeter, Bath and Bristol. But apart from London, where I'm originally from, I don't know the big cities like Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Birmingham etc. I would like to get a place to live in England. First step is to visit a place like a tourist, if I've never been there before. I'm somewhat averse to modern, "manufactured" tourist hotspots like the whole Southbank thing in London. If I spent two or three days in Liverpool, my first thought would be to visit the two cathedrals, the major museums especially fine arts museums, go to a couple of nearby places like Port Sunlight and go to the Lady Lever Museum. I like small museums and I like the nineteenth century. I'd be willing to bet I'd never settle on anywhere in the NW to live, but I'd like to check it out.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 11:06 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

It's in Newton Heath in Manchester. One of the most economically deprived areas in the UK, with a very high crime rate too boot. That house is also on a main road.
So comparing the two... you need to ask why the one in Ince is a lot cheaper?
Both look reasonably well kept and updated. They seem to be similar size, two bedroom one bathroom. I've not heard of Ince but I believe Wigan is a decent place, so no ... Without visiting both, I don't know why one is significantly cheaper than the other. Supply and demand?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'm retired - lived in America for the last 24 years - would like to get to know Britain a bit better, bearing in mind that I know places like the Brecon Beacons and Dartmoor and the Lake District, and cities like York, Norwich, Exeter, Bath and Bristol. But apart from London, where I'm originally from, I don't know the big cities like Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Birmingham etc. I would like to get a place to live in England. First step is to visit a place like a tourist, if I've never been there before. I'm somewhat averse to modern, "manufactured" tourist hotspots like the whole Southbank thing in London. If I spent two or three days in Liverpool, my first thought would be to visit the two cathedrals, the major museums especially fine arts museums, go to a couple of nearby places like Port Sunlight and go to the Lady Lever Museum. I like small museums and I like the nineteenth century. I'd be willing to bet I'd never settle on anywhere in the NW to live, but I'd like to check it out.
Fair enough. If museums are your 'thing' and you're in the North West, then Manchester is the place. There's probably a dozen in and around the city center alone.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 11:12 pm
Dichotomus tinker

It's in Newton Heath in Manchester. One of the most economically deprived areas in the UK, with a very high crime rate too boot. That house is also on a main road. So comparing the two... you need to ask why the one in Ince is a lot cheaper?

strange & likely in and around some areas between Wigan to Manchester the prices as well as the area can be safe & sound.

Even in Swinton

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-39106778.html

Its just finding the jewel in the crown
Old Jan 8th 2014, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Both look reasonably well kept and updated. They seem to be similar size, two bedroom one bathroom. I've not heard of Ince but I believe Wigan is a decent place, so no ... Without visiting both, I don't know why one is significantly cheaper than the other. Supply and demand?
I doubt there's much in the way of 'demand' to live in that part of Newton Heath. My point is that if a house in Newton Heath is costing that much, just how bad is Ince?
It's OK pulling ultra cheap housing up off the web... but its that cheap for a reason.. and that reason isn't likely to be a good one.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 11:17 pm
Dichotomus tinker

I'm retired - lived in America for the last 24 years - would like to get to know Britain a bit better

But apart from London, where I'm originally from, I don't know the big cities like Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Birmingham etc. I would like to get a place to live in England. First step is to visit a place like a tourist, if I've never been there before.

I like small museums and I like the nineteenth century. I'd be willing to bet I'd never settle on anywhere in the NW to live, but I'd like to check it out.

I'll bet not many Brits that are ex-pats or those who never left the UK want to get to know others areas or regions of the British Isles
Old Jan 8th 2014, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

strange & likely in and around some areas between Wigan to Manchester the prices as well as the area can be safe & sound.

Even in Swinton

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-39106778.html

Its just finding the jewel in the crown
That's an old council property. They're invariable cheaper because many of the surrounding houses are still council owned.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 11:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

I doubt there's much in the way of 'demand' to live in that part of Newton Heath. My point is that if a house in Newton Heath is costing that much, just how bad is Ince?
It's OK pulling ultra cheap housing up off the web... but its that cheap for a reason.. and that reason isn't likely to be a good one.
There are plenty of places in the UK like that ... bottomless supply of basically decent terraced houses and similar, and not that many people looking to buy. So people ask 60k, 40k, 25k even ... and they don't sell. So that's what I meant by supply and demand. South Shields, Middlesbrough, Lowestoft, Great Yarmouth. And that's just the east coast.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 11:26 pm
Dichotomus tinker

certainly out of my price range, even for Liverpool

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-13765683.html

more to my budget

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-39688070.html
Old Jan 8th 2014, 11:30 pm
Dichotomus tinker

There are plenty of places in the UK like that ... bottomless supply of basically decent terraced houses and similar, and not that many people looking to buy. So people ask 60k, 40k, 25k even ... and they don't sell. So that's what I meant by supply and demand. South Shields, Middlesbrough, Lowestoft, Great Yarmouth. And that's just the east coast.
NE cost is also a good place

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-42065761.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.